Player Discussion Nikita Scherbak: Scherby-Dooby-Doo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
He's done here. No doubt.

Vinny Damphousse and his gang of RDS experts are already, one game into preseason for him, on Sherback's case, bashing him and saying he's already bad enough to get cut...

He's done. It's pathetic but it's true. They got on AK46 - gone. Eller - gone. Chucky - gone. They pick one European a year and harp on him until he's gone. It's Sherback's turn. He's done.
Sad but reality. RDS have a pure pro francophone agenda. Scherbak was not great last night but I definately see nice tools and potential. Writing him off so early in pre season would be total idiocity.

ToNedOuT

Apr 22, 2004
Victoria BC
I have no idea why people keep saying he was bad last night...his line was by far the best line of the night and Scherbak played a key role in that.

He was threatening on the PP, won his board battles...not sure what more people want.

Totally agree with you. Not sure where all the negative sentiment is coming from.

It does seem like he might be overthinking things in the defensive zone, but it was his first game of the preseason against a stacked team. He scored a goal to boot by reading the play and getting on his horse to be open on that 2 on 1.

Reactions: Frankc and 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Totally agree with you. Not sure where all the negative sentiment is coming from.

It does seem like he might be overthinking things in the defensive zone, but it was his first game of the preseason against a stacked team. He scored a goal to boot by reading the play and getting on his horse to be open on that 2 on 1.
Confirmation bias at play.

I think people remember his preseason last year, so they think he has to wow them every single shift or else, he's bad.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He looked so lost in the neutral/defensive zone, hopefully it's just because it's the first game.

no, that's usually how he plays, he isn't very strong in his own end and he will do stupid things out there but he can dish the puck at a high level and can snipe it. To me we should live with his mistakes since that should be the focus of the Habs now, do what's best for the youth, live with the mistakes, hope a few improve.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
no, that's usually how he plays, he isn't very strong in his own end and he will do stupid things out there but he can dish the puck at a high level and can snipe it. To me we should live with his mistakes since that should be the focus of the Habs now, do what's best for the youth, live with the mistakes, hope a few improve.
Good luck with that with this backwards thinking MGMT.

They're doing it for Drouin, so maybe there's hope.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Good luck with that with this backwards thinking MGMT.

They're doing it for Drouin, so maybe there's hope.

Julien didn't handle him well last year so I'm not expecting that to change unless the Habs really are aware they are f***ed and aren't deluding that they might actually make the playoffs. Last year it took way too long for Julien to start giving more TOI to DLR, Carr, etc... as he should have seen all was lost so might as well play the youth more to see what they can do.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
First of all, he wasn't bad at all. Let's stop trying to change players into something they aren't, it's lunacy. Anyways, remember how bad he looked in preseason last year? He looked MUCH worse than he did last night. He went on to be over a PPG in the AHL. Everybody just needs to relax, he'll be a big part of this team moving forward.

Reactions: Agalloch and Mrb1p

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I wonder if Nikita Scherbak will end up having a better career than Andrei Kostitsyn did, and if he'll have a better career high, which was 26 goals and 53 points for AK46 back in 2007-08.

Reactions: 26Mats

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I wonder if Nikita Scherbak will end up having a better career than Andrei Kostitsyn did, and if he'll have a better career high, which was 26 goals and 53 points for AK46 back in 2007-08.
He has the skill for it, not sure he has the MGMT for it. Carbo, for all his fault, was a forward thinking coach and probably the only "offensive" minded coach weve had.... since... Shit I don't even know.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

it's a good question, both struggled with their defensive play, weren't the hardest or smartest workers. Scherbak is miles better of a playmaker, not that Kosty couldn't dish it but Scherbak if put with someone that can bury his chances, he's going to rack up the assists. He needs to use his shot more, it's not heavy like Kosty but he can pick the corners, he can deke it pretty good as well. He lacks the size of Kosty but quicker/better skater. Both were skilled but frustrating players, if Julien weren't here I'd say I think Scherbak could possibly put up more points, not sure about the goals, maybe if he would shoot more.

Reactions: DAChampion

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
If we get an AK46 caliber player out of Scherbak, I'll be thrilled. I can see shades of AK in Scherbak for sure.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
it's a good question, both struggled with their defensive play, weren't the hardest or smartest workers. Scherbak is miles better of a playmaker, not that Kosty couldn't dish it but Scherbak if put with someone that can bury his chances, he's going to rack up the assists. He needs to use his shot more, it's not heavy like Kosty but he can pick the corners, he can deke it pretty good as well. He lacks the size of Kosty but quicker/better skater. Both were skilled but frustrating players, if Julien weren't here I'd say I think Scherbak could possibly put up more points, not sure about the goals, maybe if he would shoot more.
Tbh AK was pretty good from 08 onward defensively.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Depends how much opportunity they give him and how they tolerate his mistakes. He clearly has skills but needs better puck management

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Scherbak's biggest problem is that he is not agile in tight spaces (quick turn)

In the NHL today , you have always someone close to you and you have to be dominant in tight spaces. It is the biggest strenght of Sidney Crosby.

It was the biggest flaw of Kot46 also.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Scherbak's biggest problem is that he is not agile in tight spaces (quick turn)

In the NHL today , you have always someone close to you and you have to be dominant in tight spaces. It is the biggest strenght of Sidney Crosby.

It was the biggest flaw of Kot46 also.
Thats ridiculous, he is agile.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Thats ridiculous, he is agile.

I am not talking about his hands.....je parle de virage brusques in the corners like Crosby. Sherback is awful ....jeez look at him...everythime that he is in the corner with an opponant ..he lost the puck.....and it,s not because of his heart......he is awful in puck protection and his virage brusque

Help me out guys ...how do we say virages brusques in English please ??

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I am not talking about his hands.....je parle de virage brusques in the corners like Crosby. Sherback is awful ....jeez look at him...everythime that he is in the corner with an opponant ..he lost the puck.....and it,s not because of his heart......he is awful in puck protection and his virage brusque

Sharp turns?

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
The skill is there. You can teach him defensive play.

I'm just glad he looks much stronger on his skates than he used to.

Reactions: DAChampion

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I understood you the first time, but im not sure youre assessing correctly. Hes agile on his skate the only thing id say is that hes slow off the blocks, which takes away from some of his agility, I agree. But he can control the puck easily in the corners and turn on a dime, ive seen him do it many times.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
If we get an AK46 caliber player out of Scherbak, I'll be thrilled. I can see shades of AK in Scherbak for sure.
AK was a bull on skates when he had the desire, he could hit and impose himself physically, Nikita is nothing like him IMO. He's all finesse.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Sherbak had a so so game. What I want to see him do is settle on the PP and make good passes to his teammates, yesterday on the PP he made multiple turnovers and his role was to do a similar job that Drouin does but on the opposite side (where he took a good wrister once). otherwise, I've been pretty underwhelmed, but it's his first game, and others have been doing worse.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Julien didn't handle him well last year so I'm not expecting that to change unless the Habs really are aware they are ****ed and aren't deluding that they might actually make the playoffs. Last year it took way too long for Julien to start giving more TOI to DLR, Carr, etc... as he should have seen all was lost so might as well play the youth more to see what they can do.

Man is a stubborn mule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad