Player Discussion: Nikita Kucherov - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I mean, quite a lot. Even when he hit 128 points he had like 20 games were he was held pointless.

The first 10 games of that season, he and Stamkos were terrible. Kuch still put up like 12 points in those 10 games, but it was one of the worst stretches I've ever seen him play. Then BOOM.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm not worried about the number of turnovers so much as the "quality" of some of them. There's just some he does that have such a low reward to risk ratio that he really shouldn't even be attempting, like when he's last man back on the blue line trying to deke 3 guys or something (exaggeration but there's been some real face palming moments like that one that got him benched). But no reason to get really down on the guy, as long as he shows up in the playoffs.

I don't find he makes a lot of lethal turnovers. Usually, they just lead to a loss of possession, rather than a genuine scoring chance. I'm not saying those don't happen, but it's not with any kind of regularity. Usually it's more like, our entire board is saying, "Please don't try to force this puck through three players to Stamkos Kucher--DAMN IT!" And then the opposing PK clears the puck.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't find he makes a lot of lethal turnovers. Usually, they just lead to a loss of possession, rather than a genuine scoring chance. I'm not saying those don't happen, but it's not with any kind of regularity. Usually it's more like, our entire board is saying, "Please don't try to force this puck through three players to Stamkos Kucher--DAMN IT!" And then the opposing PK clears the puck.

This year there are a TON, because he's causing them much closer to the offensive blueline which is pretty much a clean break away after.

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
He may still evolve as a player. There was a time 3-4 years ago when Stammer was just an automatic dispossess when checked. The last year or two he's worked on his game and is much stronger on the puck.

Right now, Kuck is like old Stammer. If he can't dance away from a check, he's losing the puck. I think Kuch has it in him as he's actually pretty good at stealing and retrieving pucks.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
The one difference with Stamkos is that even when he's playing terribly, he grits his teeth and still competes hard without unraveling completely. And that's after some serious setbacks, not just normal gameplay situations. What concerns me with Kucherov is that his frustration visibly gets the best of him quite often, and it creates even more of a target on his back. Nobody is denying his impressive point toals or obvious skillset, but when the going gets tough, he has lots of room to mature imo.

Reactions: ultra63

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
We will never win a Stanley Cup on the back of Kucherov. He is vastly over rated.

Kucherov is one of the worst players on the ice most nights and just sneezes points.

The guy has no character to go into the corner and battle and refuses to shoot.

IMO he is a product of our system and is not that great of a player.

Reactions: ultra63

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We will never win a Stanley Cup on the back of Kucherov. He is vastly over rated.

Kucherov is one of the worst players on the ice most nights and just sneezes points.

The guy has no character to go into the corner and battle and refuses to shoot.

IMO he is a product of our system and is not that great of a player.

He is a good player but the game he plays now that produces a whole lot of points is less effective in the playoffs then when had a short leash and wasn't taking as many risks.

He's doing so many dumb things with the puck now, not sure he'll be able to cut that back when he's been given the reigns for over 3 years now. Yeah 100 points is nice when teams give you a ton of a space and your team feeds you passes night and day, he's so used to that now that he doesn't work for it anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: ultra63 and Hoek

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I mean look at MacKinnon take over, pick up the puck at the boards, say f*** it, take three quick strides to the middle and fire a shot top shelf. Or the crazy tic tac toe passing on Vancouver the other night. Sometimes your star player needs to be the best player, not a perimeter player passing into shin pads, shake his head and go for a line change.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Hypothetically: would you trade Kucherov for the 1st overall pick straight up if he craps out yet again these playoffs? I do think he'd waive because he'd get all the Ruskie Bro Time he'd ever want with Panarin and Buchnevich

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
And don't get me wrong I love Kucherov. But after watching so many other stars take over games like Kucherov used to while the real thing is content to just aspire to force as many passes as he wants and basically not even shoot unless he has a near empty cage, I'm getting burned out in a hurry. And burned out to a point where what I want probably doesn't even make sense anymore.

If he craps out against Boston this year it's gonna be strike 4 for me because he did it against CHI, then PIT, then WSH. By that point I'm not going to blame coaching anymore. He's a choker

Edit: didn't even mention last year. Might as well call it strike 5

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
You'd want more than the 1st overall from the NYR? Bold...

I mean, what is Alexis Lafrenière's ultimate offensive upside...averaging about 1.31 points per game during his age 23-26 seasons or so? That's Nikita Kucherov, right now. Odds are, he'll never reach that peak, because very few players ever reach that peak at all. So...yeah. You're talking about an undisputed NHL superstar, who's still only 27 next season, then I think it'll take more than just a first overall on an unproven NHL player to get me to bite.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I mean, what is Alexis Lafrenière's ultimate offensive upside...averaging about 1.31 points per game during his age 23-26 seasons or so? That's Nikita Kucherov, right now. Odds are, he'll never reach that peak, because very few players ever reach that peak at all. So...yeah. You're talking about an undisputed NHL superstar, who's still only 27 next season, then I think it'll take more than just a first overall on an unproven NHL player to get me to bite.

If Laf ever reached Kucherov's level I would eat my hat. I don't know if anyone in the immediate future is going to reach that level. For all the undeniable talent he has, Kucherov is playing in a fashion that does not consistently put us in a position to succeed in the playoffs. But despite this I think he's a mortal lock to score 100 points at least 2 or 3 times. I'm not certain Laf will do it once.

But it hasn't even been a dozen games since the restart and Kucherov is already back to the same habits that got him benched. It's really starting to worry me and I hope I am wrong. But if it happens yet AGAIN then I hope JBB will keep all his options open

In the end I want this to be much ado about nothing

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Hypothetically: would you trade Kucherov for the 1st overall pick straight up if he craps out yet again these playoffs? I do think he'd waive because he'd get all the Ruskie Bro Time he'd ever want with Panarin and Buchnevich
Hell no, what the hell is wrong with you people? Craps out again? Hes a career 70 point guy in 74 playoff games. 9 points in 9 games so far, too.

Give your heads a shake.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Kuch is an odd case. Rarely flashy, almost invisible most of the time but sneezing points left and right. Terrible body language to top it all off. Really not your typical star player.

You think here’s a player with all the talent and skill in the world. Why doesn’t he just take over like the MacKs, McDavids, Crosbys, etc. even Point. Not his game though. The question is, is he a win-more asset or does the team win thanks to him? With the PP not working it seems hard to tell at times...

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Kuch is an odd case. Rarely flashy, almost invisible most of the time but sneezing points left and right. Terrible body language to top it all off. Really not your typical star player.

You think here’s a player with all the talent and skill in the world. Why doesn’t he just take over like the MacKs, McDavids, Crosbys, etc. even Point. Not his game though. The question is, is he a win-more asset or does the team win thanks to him? With the PP not working it seems hard to tell at times...

I think he's just gotten too comfortable being fed pucks night and day by the team, Kucherov between those 60-100 point seasons used to fight for open ice and was a beast on the cycle. Now he just plants himself on the wall and everyone defers to him, Kucherov used to get credit for "creating space" for his linemates, I find that becoming less and less true considering how much Point actually does for that line, he's almost got that Stamkos type game now where he just glides in from somewhere to finish a play.

Seperating him and Point might actually be good for him, he'll have to drive his own line. Even better they should make him play with his favorite player, Killorn.

Reactions: Bozo Nicholson

Bozo Nicholson

5 Alarm Fire™
Jun 6, 2015
I think he's just gotten too comfortable being fed pucks night and day by the team, Kucherov between those 60-100 point seasons used to fight for open ice and was a beast on the cycle. Now he just plants himself on the wall and everyone defers to him, Kucherov used to get credit for "creating space" for his linemates, I find that becoming less and less true considering how much Point actually does for that line, he's almost got that Stamkos type game now where he just glides in from somewhere to finish a play.

Seperating him and Point might actually be good for him, he'll have to drive his own line. Even better they should make him play with his favorite player, Killorn.
I think separating he and Point is tricky. Seems like it’s not working, then all the sudden you get an OT goal situation (Columbus Game 5). I think the biggest fear is if they were separated and both ended up suffering.

Danythegod

Jun 25, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I think a lot of people are being a little harsh on Kucherov. Some of the best defensive forwards and defencemen in the league are jumping on him right as soon as he touches the puck. He just needs to figure out how to beat that. He's not super fast and agile like Point.

He is a target by everyone in the playoffs. That's why the regular season and playoffs show different scoring. He's literally being hugged every time he is on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad