Player Discussion: Nikita Kucherov - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't know what you're watching if you can't tell the difference between Kucherov of the last 2 games vs the first 10. The last 2 games he has rarely had a turnover, is engaged on the forecheck / backcheck and constantly moving his feet, it's almost night and day. Doing those things has translated to him exploding offensively, I'm not sure why it shouldn't be expected of him to do those things consistently being the highest paid player on the team.

Do you think he would get half the critcism he does if that type of play, regardless of production is seen more often? Stamkos used to take a lot of flack the same stupid plays too, he's seen signicaintly less since he actually cleaned up his game.
I'm not sure what you think you just read. He's been better in the last two games, yeah, but he wasn't awful in the first 10.

And yes, I do think we would get the criticism if he doesn't produce, regardless of how many little things he's doing right.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'm not sure what you think you just read. He's been better in the last two games, yeah, but he wasn't awful in the first 10.

And yes, I do think we would get the criticism if he doesn't produce, regardless of how many little things he's doing right.

I'm saying there doesn't need to be as much "risk" to Kucherov's game as seen in his most recent ones. He can play a simple, engaged game and have excellent production and should be held to that standard more often instead of chalking up those terrible turnovers/cross-ice passes as "part of his game," when it really doesn't need to be.

Reactions: Hoek

PRZ45MD

Aug 11, 2016
God the takes in this thread are terrible.

Dude has 77pts in 77 playoff games, and makes the team better when he is on the ice. Just cause he isn't 6'4" or a flashy skater doesn't mean he isn't effective. Watch the bruins D next game and see how much respect they give him. Lots of times you'll see the other team defend for him, leaving one of our guys across the ice more open. Sure he isn't as consistent as Crosby, but he's had 2 bad series in his career, and in those series he wasn't the only one who sucked.

Stop overreacting. Kucherov is incredible
Most points in the league since 2014 is Crosby...Kucherov is #2, they're both averaging a point per playoff game. So, he actually is just as consistent as Crosby, and he's a winger.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm saying there doesn't need to be as much "risk" to Kucherov's game as seen in his most recent ones. He can play a simple, engaged game and have excellent production and should be held to that standard more often instead of chalking up those terrible turnovers/cross-ice passes as "part of his game," when it really doesn't need to be.

And that's a fair criticism. I'm not saying any player should be immune to criticism. I'm saying sometimes it gets over the top, and whenever a player isn't at his peak, people are ready to move on and get to the next new toy.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
The narrative that he's not a playoff performer always irked me.
I think that narrative came after Wsh and Cbj series,when ever1 expexted him to pull team further,and were dissapointed. I always said ,that even though he doesnt score in games he makes a lot of room for other guys,and he just makes d nervous. Game with Boston showed , what are difference between Kuch on ice but not scoring,and Kuch not on the ice. And now,i will say it all the time,i freacking love his attitude,he hits opponents,he plays hard and doesnt get frustrated a lot,this is next level of Kuch xD

Reactions: Loki Dekker

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
You'd want more than the 1st overall from the NYR? Bold...
He's worth the 1st overall and a very good prospect IMO.

I agree with @Danythegod when he says other teams plan to shut him down, they're legitimately trying to hurt him, to get him out his game, to double team at any given opportunity. The comparison with Point is unfair, the league had the luxury to study Kucherov in the playoffs a lot longer than Point (21 playoffs appearances to 65 for Kucherov). Also pre-injury Point was playing like the best player in the league, it's a guy playing at peak level there.

The one thing I don't like with Kuch so far is the unforced errors, otherwise he produced at key points. I have a feeling we've not seen the best of Kuch yet, and with all the injuries we need him more than ever. Kuch is going to step up IMO

Reactions: Danythegod

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
He's worth the 1st overall and a very good prospect IMO.

I agree with @Danythegod when he says other teams plan to shut him down, they're legitimately trying to hurt him, to get him out his game, to double team at any given opportunity. The comparison with Point is unfair, the league had the luxury to study Kucherov in the playoffs a lot longer than Point (21 playoffs appearances to 65 for Kucherov). Also pre-injury Point was playing like the best player in the league, it's a guy playing at peak level there.

The one thing I don't like with Kuch so far is the unforced errors, otherwise he produced at key points. I have a feeling we've not seen the best of Kuch yet, and with all the injuries we need him more than ever. Kuch is going to step up IMO

I hope you're right about him stepping up because if it wasn't for Cirelli's heroics I would not have had very nice words for Kucherov. Make no mistake, the guy has had huge moments before (NYR game 3) (PIT game 5) (NYI game 2) but when it's a 3-2 series lead and time to go for the throat and close the opponent out, Kucherov turns into a lost dog on the ice. Once you get to about the 5h game of a given series his brain turns off.

I don't expect the guy to be perfect all the time, but that was about the 4th different time he was not good in a game 6. I'll try to not be so critical of this last game because he was clearly exhausted. But if Dallas was to win the Cup in 6 and Kucherov is nowhere to be found, it'll simply reinforce the point I was trying to make about how his play under pressure does no put us in a position to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad