Player Discussion: Nikita Kucherov - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think a lot of people are being a little harsh on Kucherov. Some of the best defensive forwards and defencemen in the league are jumping on him right as soon as he touches the puck. He just needs to figure out how to beat that. He's not super fast and agile like Point.

He is a target by everyone in the playoffs. That's why the regular season and playoffs show different scoring. He's literally being hugged every time he is on the ice.

No more than any other year and both teams we've played so far haven't exactly been honing in solely on Kucherov. Point is playing top competition as well but he's constantly creating.

Kucherov hasn't been on the top of his game but Tampa is deep enough that he can take his time to get in stride, seems a bit luxurious when compared to other teams who absolutely need their stars to perform each and every game.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yes i'm sure its comfort and has nothing to do with repetitive arm and head injuries.

And what the injuries only act up in the playoffs? Dude's netted 74 goals in the last 2 years. Having only 5 since the last time we played Boston 2 years ago is unacceptable for him. He needs to be better. Last night's tip home is a great start.

I want to be wrong about this. What I don't want is us falling down in the series, Kuch does nothing and throws tantrums. And if that's what I get then f*** it. That's not putting us in a position to win.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
And what the injuries only act up in the playoffs? Dude's netted 74 goals in the last 2 years. Having only 5 since the last time we played Boston 2 years ago is unacceptable for him. He needs to be better. Last night's tip home is a great start.

I want to be wrong about this. What I don't want is us falling down in the series, Kuch does nothing and throws tantrums. And if that's what I get then f*** it. That's not putting us in a position to win.
Kuch makes everyone better. That’s just how it is. The Hf hive mind wants to make him the scape goat is fine with me, have your little narrative.
But fact is he would have been harangued by everyone here for years if it had been him dogging it to the blue line last night. But since it’s point, everything’s ok. And I LIKE point.
I agree that body language speaks a ton for his reputation. But also lest we forget that hedman looks like he’s barely skating too. The greats don’t have to look like they’re hustling to be effective.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Kuch makes everyone better. That’s just how it is. The Hf hive mind wants to make him the scape goat is fine with me, have your little narrative.
But fact is he would have been harangued by everyone here for years if it had been him dogging it to the blue line last night. But since it’s point, everything’s ok. And I LIKE point.
I agree that body language speaks a ton for his reputation. But also lest we forget that hedman looks like he’s barely skating too. The greats don’t have to look like they’re hustling to be effective.

of course it’s ok for Point. He’s not consistently terrible when we need him to step up. People jump on kuch because when he’s not scoring a goal, he’s giving the puck away, making a terrible play, or being a Pejorative Slur.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Guy looked good tonight, kept his calm more than anything which was impressive.

Yeah, needs to play like this more often. More impressed he cut down the turnovers than his actual production, good thing too, Point was getting tired of carrying that line.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Careful boys, the gatekeeper of all things Kucherov is on patrol.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
God the takes in this thread are terrible.

Dude has 77pts in 77 playoff games, and makes the team better when he is on the ice. Just cause he isn't 6'4" or a flashy skater doesn't mean he isn't effective. Watch the bruins D next game and see how much respect they give him. Lots of times you'll see the other team defend for him, leaving one of our guys across the ice more open. Sure he isn't as consistent as Crosby, but he's had 2 bad series in his career, and in those series he wasn't the only one who sucked.

Stop overreacting. Kucherov is incredible

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Kuch has been great this playoff series. He really has elevated his game, compared to last year. Reminds me of when Yzerman decided it was time to win in the playoffs.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

KuchieKooRov

Aug 13, 2020
Kuch takes a ton of heat on these forums but is a pretty special talent. Dude now has 77 pts in 77 games since he came into the league in 2014. The only player ahead of him during this same period of time is Sidney Crosby (84 in 86 I think??).

I could do without the no look, behind the back passes though. Haha

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I feel like guys always get compared to their peak. So any time Kucherov isn't in 128 point form, from here on in, I guess he sucks now. That's not to say he should be immune from criticism, but the idea that he doesn't bring it in the playoffs is ridiculous. He's had two genuinely bad series in his career.

Reactions: Loki Dekker

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I feel like guys always get compared to their peak. So any time Kucherov isn't in 128 point form, from here on in, I guess he sucks now. That's not to say he should be immune from criticism, but the idea that he doesn't bring it in the playoffs is ridiculous. He's had two genuinely bad series in his career.

The last 2 games he has rarely had a turnover, is engaged on the forecheck / backcheck and constantly moving his feet, it's almost night and day. Doing those things has translated to him exploding offensively, I'm not sure why it shouldn't be expected of him to do those things consistently. So no I don't think it has anything to do with comparing him to his peak vs seeing a more consistent game from the highest paid player on the team.

Do you think he would get half the critcism he does if that type of play, regardless of production is seen more often? Stamkos used to take a lot of flack the same stupid plays too, he's seen signicaintly less since he actually cleaned up his game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoek and StaySalty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->