Confirmed with Link: Nik Kronwall Retiring

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Won’t Green and Hronek run the 2 PP’s?

Pretty much them, and if either is injured, then call up Cholowski or Kaski.

1.PP ----- Bertuzzi

Larkin ----- AA ----- Mantha

---------- Green

2.PP ----- Abdelkader (Rasmussen, if not in AHL)

Hirose --- Nielsen --- Filppula

----------- Hronek

Will be pretty much new power-plays when there's no Vanek, no Nyquist, no Kronwall, no Frk.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
2.PP ----- Abdelkader (Rasmussen, if not in AHL)

Hirose --- Nielsen --- Filppula

----------- Hronek

Good lord this team needs a sniper if this is one of our PP units......

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI

"I had the pleasure of playing with Niklas early in his career, and it was evident from his first season what a special player and person he would become," said Red Wings executive vice president and general manager Steve Yzerman. "He was among the NHL's best two-way defensemen of his era and will go down as one of the greatest at his position in Red Wings history. Niklas has a sharp hockey mind and is highly respected in the hockey world. He has the makeup and work ethic of someone who will have a very successful career in management, and I am thrilled that he will remain with the franchise on the hockey operations staff."

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Which is why we are probably going to see a lot of Filip Zadina. It's almost like they're thinking these moves through. :)

We should tank and keep Zadina dominating in AHL.

Dominate first, then callup.

I hope Zadina has 40/40 games season AHL/NHL.

Sorry, wrong thread for this discussion.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
I remember seeing him trying to skate two years ago at training camp. He could barely move. His love for the game brought him back two more years. Classy, hard nosed player. Hopefully some of the young d-men learned from him.

Reactions: hkydave04

MO!

First Line Centre
Nov 12, 2006
Thanks for everything Kronwall. You were a beast and a warrior.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'm sorry to see him retire but it had been clear for a couple years now that he was trending down this path. I'm happy he spent his entire career in a Red Wing sweater and will join the front office. He was absolutely brilliant as the #3 d-man behind Lids and Rafalski. Playoff Kronner was a beast in terms of his hits and was fantastic on that second power play unit. Congrats on a great career #55.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I was hoping he would comeback for one more year at least to get a 1000 games. Even on one knee he was one of our better defenders. But thank you for everything Nik. He was always one of the classiest, most respectful players ive ever met or was able to watch play hockey. Regardless of what his reputation was too some.

Reactions: wingerdinger

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Nik was a first class player on and off the ice. A true professional and will be greatly missed. I will miss the opposition getting Kronwalled. Good news though he is staying with the organization as an advisor to Stevie.

Reactions: aar000n

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

Dude had a great career. Lead the team in games played last season, led the D-Core in points, and had 79 game played the season before last. Stud.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'm glad he got to go out on a relative high note in terms of his play.

Thanks for the many years of Kronwalling!

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Great career and a real first class guy. Gonna be missed for sure!

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Wow what an amazing team to look back on where Kronner wes a #2. At his peak, he would be #1 on most teams. Great career and classy guy. Too bad he didn't announce it during the season so he could have had a send-off home game. In all honesty, he probably should have retired 2-3 seasons ago. Glad he is still with the team in the front office.

I am a little less nostalgic these days and my first thought was finally another problem contract that can come off the books. More road paved today for the next core. No disrespect to Kronner though he had to be one dedicated SOB to play through those bad knees.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad