Confirmed with Link: Nik Kronwall Retiring

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
Was one of the best. It's about time he finally retired...giving him credit for sticking through his career with bad knees. Will obviously miss the Kronwalling. Glad he's part of Yzerman's crew now.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
One of my favorite wings of the past twenty years. It's going to be weird not seeing him out there, even weirder when someone eventually takes his number.

A couple of other less that HHOF level Cup winning guys that retired as Red Wings after spending most of their careers in Detroit have not had their numbers worn again. #33 hasn't even been worn in training camp since Draper retired, and #30 was used by PTO (signed with GR) Cal Heeter in camp a few years back and has otherwise not been used since Osgood retired.

I could see #55 going the same route.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kronwall retires and joins the Red Wings front office.

Thanks Nik for everything.

I've most watched Red Wings after 2006, and I think I've seen most Niklas Kronwall games of any Red Wings players, when web streams changed everything (you could see all games at Europe).

He was always there.

Team Yzerman now:

XXX - Yzerman - Verbeek
XXX - Horcoff - Cleary
XXX - Draper - Maltby

Kronwall - Howe
Fischer - Wallin
XXX - XXX

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
One of my all-time favorites. So glad he is joining the front office. Having had the chance to meet him a few times he was a far better person than hockey player and he was a terrific hockey player. Thanks for all the years Kronner and happy to hear he will still be calling Detroit home.

Reactions: Henkka and Frk It

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Kronwall hasn't been himself for a while, but he was an awesome player pre-injuries and had a great career. I have to be thankful for everything he left out on the ice and wish him a happy retirement.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I recall the amount of skepticism after receiving that contract extension while still rather unproven.

Certainly proved everyone wrong and had a solid career.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Happy and sad. Kronwall is yet another class act, great career and person. But it was definitely time to retire.

Heres to a happy retirement and hopefully success in management!

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Finished tied for 9th in games played.
Tied for 4th in defensemen scoring, behind Lidstrom, Kelly and Larson (i think that's it).
Ended up -5 in his career, which is kind of surprising.
Datsyuk was +249 and Z was +160 in a career that spanned basically the same time frame.

Kronwall, maybe if he'd stayed a little healthier, might be a candidate for jersey retirement.
Another 120 games. Maybe another 60 points.
Would put him around 6th overall in games played, 3rd in points behind Larson and Lidstrom.
Factor in 120 games lost to the lockout...He doesn't move up more in games, really. But points wise, but maybe he ties Larson in points.

Regardless, 55 will be his number for a long time.
Others who wore 55: Primeau, L Murphy, Tiger Williams and Dmitri Bykov.

Obviously, he's behind Lidstrom.
And Kelly. Maybe behind Pronovost too?

As great a shooter as Larson was, I can't rank him over Kronwall.

Last edited:

ChelisChiliBar

Feb 26, 2018
As a Toronto resident I used to enjoy chirping my Leaf fan buddies about how we got the better Kronwall.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
With Kronwall gone... Definitely a new era of Wings Hockey is upon us.... Lidstrom, Kronwall, Datsyuk, Zetterberg... All Gone

Thanks #55!

With Nik retiring too... It is a lock now that 71 in the next captain IMO
Kronwall retiring has zero to do with who the next captain will be....
I'm glad he is retiring. He had a good career but it is time.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Helm is the last real on-ice tie to the last cup, eh?

Technically Filppula, but obviously he just came back. Howard, Abby, and E all played a few games during the regular season in 2008, but not in the playoffs.

*edit* didn't realize this had already been answered.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Thank you for a great career! It really does feel like the official end of an era with him hanging up the skates. Hopefully they do something for him at the opener.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Red Wing 4 life - Thank you Kronner! When Nik was in his prime, he was most underrated d-man in the league.

Stanley Cup champion, Olympic gold and silver medalist, World Championship gold and silver medalist, AHL best defenseman 2005. Nearly 1000 NHL games and truck load of memories and hard hits, absolutely great career.

Tack så mycket Kronner

btw. Next one who wears #55, has to earn it first. Larry Murphy -> Niklas Kronwall -> ?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I think the third LD job goes to Ericsson or maybe Daley, unless Cholo blows everyone away in camp, or there are injuries.
Then it's Cholo's to lose next year when Ericsson/Daley disappear.

On the right side, it's Green/Hronek, and then either Bowey/Daley/Kaski/Seider/Lindstrom.
But honestly, I think it's probably between Bowey/Daley.
Sounds like Seider's going to Germany, which probably leaves Kaski/Lindstrom in Grand Rapids.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
The question becomes who runs the second power play. Daley has run it in the past, but his health and mobility is in question.

It does open the door for Cholowski or Kaski.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad