Player Discussion Nicklas Backstrom

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

I was crazy impressed with Coffey but he played on the power play with Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Lemieux, Jagr, Yzerman, and Fedorov all at their peaks except Yzerman in the peak scoring era.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
No doubt about it. But NB played here the whole career being underpaid. How much raise will he ask? IMO it will look like recent Blake Wheeler's deal. 8.25 x 5 years.

I think Backstrom will do what makes logical sense for his priorities. I think he knows that the team from Ted down values him as a lifer. They will treat him right. He knows that. Same with Ovechkin

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I think Backstrom will do what makes logical sense for his priorities. I think he knows that the team from Ted down values him as a lifer. They will treat him right. He knows that. Same with Ovechkin

Backstrom doesn't strike me as the guy to take the most either, just enough. It's almost like he knows he's just a guy playing a child's game professionally. Enough to set his family up and be comfortable for life, after that what's it really matter to a guy like that?

Jun 15, 2007
We really really don't know anything about Backstrom as a person to be honest.

Laid back Swedish guy stereotype is just that, a stereotype. Everyone thought Alfredsson and Sundin were lifers.

In the end I do think Backstrom will sign long term here. But he's not going to sign a doormat contract.

He just saw Couture sign 8x8. He saw Tavares sign 7x11. Evander freaking Kane as a winger with a career high of 56 points, 8 years ago signed 7x7. Backstrom is a humble guy but I'm sure he realises he's better than all of those guys.

My prediction is 8x8, as heavily bonus and front loaded as possible so he can retire without playing those final years if he wants.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
We really really don't know anything about Backstrom as a person to be honest.

Laid back Swedish guy stereotype is just that, a stereotype. Everyone thought Alfredsson and Sundin were lifers.

In the end I do think Backstrom will sign long term here. But he's not going to sign a doormat contract.

He just saw Couture sign 8x8. He saw Tavares sign 7x11. Evander freaking Kane as a winger with a career high of 56 points, 8 years ago signed 7x7. Backstrom is a humble guy but I'm sure he realises he's better than all of those guys.

My prediction is 8x8, as heavily bonus and front loaded as possible so he can retire without playing those final years if he wants.

We really do, though. We hear about who he is as a person all the time, through the players around him. His personal concern for other players' success leads me to believe that as long as he knows he's well taken care of, and he will be, he's not concerned about getting that extra 1.5m/yr by going somewhere else. It's not about being Swedish, it's about being the guy he's been for a decade. The contract he's currently playing through was demonstrative of this as well, it was a sweetheart deal the moment he signed it.

Jun 15, 2007
We really do, though. We hear about who he is as a person all the time, through the players around him. His personal concern for other players' success leads me to believe that as long as he knows he's well taken care of, and he will be, he's not concerned about getting that extra 1.5m/yr by going somewhere else. It's not about being Swedish, it's about being the guy he's been for a decade. The contract he's currently playing through was demonstrative of this as well, it was a sweetheart deal the moment he signed it.
What do you think he signs for?

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
He can be a really good person, laid back, decent, etc and still get PAID. He will get market value here or somewhere else. Let’s hope it’s in DC.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
What do you think he signs for?
Personally, I expect somewhere around the same cap percentage he carries now, but it's the 8 years of term I keep hearing that I think is slightly excessive so if there's a significant raise I don't see the wisdom in adding too many potentially handcuffing years.

I think if he signs another long, 8+ year deal he gives the team a break due to how "PAID" he'll be on the back end. If he wants to push the limits of what he can earn he's going to have to do it on a 4 or 5-ish year deal, and then look at drafting up a retirement contract. That's not to insult the guy, but even for Backstrom I would hesitate to trot out an 8x8 or 8x9 deal that pushes him to 40.

Which way makes him more is up to negotiations and contract structure. If it's got any lockout protection written in it similar to the way other contracts are currently being structured, that might also change the lay of the land.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We really really don't know anything about Backstrom as a person to be honest..

We do. If you pay attention, at least. The year that he played in the all star game he made it clear that he could have played in more but prefers to take the break with his family. We know that he took the Caps playoff failure the year before by far harder than any other Caps core player and that it effected his game.

Lets just start with those 2 things and what they say about him

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He can be a really good person, laid back, decent, etc and still get PAID. He will get market value here or somewhere else. Let’s hope it’s in DC.

That depends on market value and salary cap. You think he walks from the Caps over $1m per season? No

Jun 15, 2007
Personally, I expect somewhere around the same cap percentage he carries now, but it's the 8 years of term I keep hearing that I think is slightly excessive so if there's a significant raise I don't see the wisdom in adding too many potentially handcuffing years.

I think if he signs another long, 8+ year deal he gives the team a break due to how "PAID" he'll be on the back end. If he wants to push the limits of what he can earn he's going to have to do it on a 4 or 5-ish year deal, and then look at drafting up a retirement contract. That's not to insult the guy, but even for Backstrom I would hesitate to trot out an 8x8 or 8x9 deal that pushes him to 40.

Which way makes him more is up to negotiations and contract structure. If it's got any lockout protection written in it similar to the way other contracts are currently being structured, that might also change the lay of the land.
I don't take any quotes seriously. They're almost always positive because that's just the way hockey media is. Everyone is a good guy.

But anyway I don't even think the source of our disagreement is on Backstrom.

I think the source of our disagreement is on how much 8 million is in the current climate

Backstrom just watched a kid he used to babysit, whose career high is 60 points, who plays wing, who was an RFA with no arbitration, whose contract only bought 2 UFA years sign for 6x7. More than what he makes now.

8m is just nothing now. If Tavares, Toews and Eichel are getting 10-11m (and Tavares turned down a 7x13m offer from the Sharks and a 8x12.5m offer from the Isles) anything less than 8m a year for Backstrom is doormat level. Backstrom is better than both those guys. 8m is already a significant discount.

Reactions: Rgo

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well, what do you think he signs for?

No idea. Its foolish to try and predict specifics this far out. At least I am not interested in playing that game.

I am comfortable with my position. He will resign. He will get a fair deal that isn't the max money and term he could get on the ufa market. He is not going to Bryce Harper the Caps.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Only players on ELCs and 35+ contracts can have bonuses in their contract.

I believe that signing bonuses are allowed. Its all the same money assuming all the games get played but a signing bonus can defend against a work stoppage. Some players like their money upfront

Jun 15, 2007
No idea. Its foolish to try and predict specifics this far out. At least I am not interested in playing that game.

I am comfortable with my position. He will resign. He will get a fair deal that isn't the max money and term he could get on the ufa market. He is not going to Bryce Harper the Caps.
I don't know why you chime in on a debate about Backstrom's contract if you don't feel like discussing Backstrom's contract. Sends mixed messages.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad