Player Discussion Nicklas Backstrom

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
From a fantasy perspective - is he hurt? I don't get how often he's had games where he contributes absolutely nothing.

Maybe. He hasn't missed any time but he's been awful for most of this year. Had a few good games when he was first reunited with Ovechkin but other than that's been arguably the most disappointing player on the team.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Maybe. He hasn't missed any time but he's been awful for most of this year. Had a few good games when he was first reunited with Ovechkin but other than that's been arguably the most disappointing player on the team.
Backstrom is in a scoring slump but he still helps the team in other ways. Unlike other players on this team when he isn't putting up points he isn't a liability.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Nic can thank me later for exorcising that SUCKubus from his locker... hopefully tonight is the start of turning it around.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Kinda plugging a fan purchase, but I got a Backstrom winter classic t-shirt from 2011 off amazon to break the slump!

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
This short thread has 90% negative posts about him. I guess he never was popular player.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
It was his 11th season.
8th season with 50+ assists. (he has a streak with 5 seasons going on)

So 3 seasons when he didn't reach that mark.
- first year of his new contract (77 games / 47 assists)
- concussed by a pos (42 games / 30 assists)
- lockout (48 games / 40 assists)

So in fact, he only didn't reach it once.

edit : I'm pretty happy that GMGM didn't trade that sweeede to Boston for their 5th and 37th. Did something good there.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Backstrom and Kuzy and Eller along with the goaltending are the keys. Not Ov. Backstrom is still the best all around player on the team

And yet this team was winning even with Backstrom not getting on the score sheet for 20 games. Backstrom has a more crucial role at both ends of the ice but make no mistake, #8 is the captain of this ship.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
And yet this team was winning even with Backstrom not getting on the score sheet for 20 games. Backstrom has a more crucial role at both ends of the ice but make no mistake, #8 is the captain of this ship.

Come playoffs the games tighten up. It will get harder to get Ovechkin the puck. Same with Oshie. Backstrom and Kuzy will have to carry more of the weight. If they both can play at their best thru the playoffs, the Caps can win. If one of them goes missing, they lose again

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Come playoffs the games tighten up. It will get harder to get Ovechkin the puck. Same with Oshie. Backstrom and Kuzy will have to carry more of the weight. If they both can play at their best thru the playoffs, the Caps can win. If one of them goes missing, they lose again

They're centers, by definition they carry most of the load. In spite of that, what this team needs badly in the playoffs is goals, and everyone is looking at Ovi for that.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They're centers, by definition they carry most of the load. In spite of that, what this team needs badly in the playoffs is goals, and everyone is looking at Ovi for that.

You should be looking for those goals from Backstrom and Kuznetsov. That's my point. They both have 20 plus goals and need to be a primary provider of putting pucks in the nets. Ov is going to be wearing somebody everywhere he goes. All the more reason to need goal production from those guys. Anyone think that Eller or Wilson or Burt are going to pot 3 in a series?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
You should be looking for those goals from Backstrom and Kuznetsov. That's my point. They both have 20 plus goals and need to be a primary provider of putting pucks in the nets. Ov is going to be wearing somebody everywhere he goes. All the more reason to need goal production from those guys. Anyone think that Eller or Wilson or Burt are going to pot 3 in a series?
This. The D will draped all over 8, and that should open space for his centermen to look off the other D and take the shots. Ovie and Willy can drive the net for rebounds. But center drives that push back the D will be vital.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad