Prospect Info: Nick Suzuki Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Exactly. We'll have the cap space to acquire at least one good forward UFA, which would make the decision of keeping both Poehling and Suzuki in the AHL easier.

I think even if we don't we still have enough forwards in the NHL.

Domi
Drouin
Gallagher
Tatar
Danault
Armia
Byron
Shaw
Lehkonen
Kotkaniemi

make up top 9 for sure. Guys like Hudon may be gone and the other 4th liners aren't worth breaking our heads over. Why bring Poehling and Suzuki up? To make them play 4th line? Seems like a waste.

If somehow we add another forward then it makes the decision even more baffling.

Last edited:

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec

If somehow we add another forward then it makes the decision even more baffling.

Yes. But given injuries and that we have lots of cap space, I think we'd gain from adding another top-9 player. Shaw or Lehkonen could drop on the 4th and still be effective. Priority #1 would be a D though.

This would still leave Suzuki and Poehling some time to adapt to the AHL, they could also be called up when there's injuries.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Yes. But given injuries and that we have lots of cap space, I think we'd gain from adding another top-9 player. Shaw or Lehkonen could drop on the 4th and still be effective. Priority #1 would be a D though.

This would still leave Suzuki and Poehling some time to adapt to the AHL, they could also be called up when there's injuries.

I'd love to go in on Panarin but I don't think he'd come here.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

This should be the plan as we never have players of this caliber oozing as much talent in the AHL.

Reactions: cphabs and Kimota

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

Domi
Drouin
Gallagher
Tatar
Danault
Armia
Byron
Shaw
Lehkonen

make up top 9 for sure. Guys like Hudon may be gone and the other 4th liners aren't worth breaking our heads over. Why bring Poehling and Suzuki up? To make them play 4th line? Seems like a waste.

I'd say Kotka also has a chance to crack the top 9

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Domi
Drouin
Gallagher
Tatar
Danault
Armia
Byron
Shaw
Lehkonen
Kotkaniemi

One of Shaw, Byron and Lehkonen will probably have to be sacrificed. All players I like but they're all smaller guys and we need room for Kotka and potentially a scoring winger as a UFA

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo

Domi
Drouin
Gallagher
Tatar
Danault
Armia
Byron
Shaw
Lehkonen
Kotkaniemi

I do not expect to see either Poehling or Suzuki next year. Maybe one of them can slip in if we have a few injured centers, but I think they take their time with both of them. No real need to rush their development. Let them play one full year in Laval. Agree?

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
I do not expect to see either Poehling or Suzuki next year. Maybe one of them can slip in if we have a few injured centers, but I think they take their time with both of them. No real need to rush their development. Let them play one full year in Laval. Agree?

Agree 100%. Play them together for a year in the AHL. Let them learn to play with one another. Give them over 20 min. a night, plus PP time and PK time. Then bring them along the next year.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal

If Poehling want to play here, we must give him the chance. We just can afford to pist him off and seing sign somewhere else. That could be a disaster.

This rule realy sucks. I dont get why NCAA players got this rule in their pocket and other not

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If Poehling want to play here, we must give him the chance. We just can afford to pist him off and seing sign somewhere else. That could be a disaster.

This rule realy sucks. I dont get why NCAA players got this rule in their pocket and other not

he doesn't qualify for the loophole. Any NHL draft pick can refuse to sign with the team that drafted them.

Reactions: bleuetbio

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
seriously Suzuki struggling isnt that bad of a thing the guy will get a wakeup call and that's good for a young player. put things in perspective.. hopefully he get his shit together and tweaks areas of his game. he has too.

NHL wont work on your talent alone.. need to evolve your game kiddo.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It's not like the habs had a choice so why whine and dwell? just hope he has a strong finish to the season

I really think it would be a good idea to have a partnership with a team in the SHL or Liiga or NLA for cases like Nick's. Boston at least had a deal with JYP, I'm not sure if they ever used it though. It's only the AHL/ECHL which is prohibited by the CHL-NHL agreement. The SHL even made an official pitch to the NHL to this effect.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I really think it would be a good idea to have a partnership with a team in the SHL or Liiga or NLA for cases like Nick's. Boston at least had a deal with JYP, I'm not sure if they ever used it though. It's only the AHL/ECHL which is prohibited by the CHL-NHL agreement. The SHL even made an official pitch to the NHL to this effect.

Those are men's leagues...will they guarantee our 18-20 year olds the playing time they'd be getting in the CHL?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Those are men's leagues...will they guarantee our 18-20 year olds the playing time they'd be getting in the CHL?

Of course if the player sucks he wont get played. But I imagine the SHL wanted to actually use the players they were making a pitch for.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I'd have to look it up but didn't Dallas have some deal with either an SHL or Liiga team years back?

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
he doesn't qualify for the loophole. Any NHL draft pick can refuse to sign with the team that drafted them.

But they can't sign in the NHL until the team who drafted them rights to that player expire, correct?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
seriously Suzuki struggling isnt that bad of a thing the guy will get a wakeup call and that's good for a young player. put things in perspective.. hopefully he get his **** together and tweaks areas of his game. he has too.

NHL wont work on your talent alone.. need to evolve your game kiddo.

Suzuki said the other day, he isnt worrying about scoring because he "been there done that" knows how to do it...he is trying to refine the defense side of his game right now he said....hence the lower goal output...

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
I would put this guy and Poehling in AHL. There is zero need to rush either and I'd like to see them dominate a lower level.
If Montreal don't all but guarantee Poehling he will play with the Montreal Canadiens . He won't be leaving college to play in the AHL . Poehling still isn't signed by Montreal they can't treat him as a prospect like the might other prospects . He still has one year remaining in college after that if still not signed can become unrestricted . Montreal can't give him a reason not to sign if he feels he's not getting a real chance he won't sign .

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad