Prospect Info: Nick Suzuki Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I like our prospect pool a lot but I'm not going to think they will all turn into impact players or make the NHL right away. It's premature.

Kotkaniemi was battling Pleky, DLR, Peca for the 3rd line center role. Suzuki will be battling a heck of a lot of wingers. Some LW who can play both sides (Lehkonen, Byron, Tatar) and our current RW (Gallagher, Armia, Shaw).

What winger does Suzuki outplay and take his job as a 20 year old in his first NHL season? We already have one too many top 9 forwards and Shaw or Byron will have to move to 4th line.

Drouin / Danault / Gallagher
Tatar / Domi / Byron or Shaw
Lehkonen / Kotkaniemi / Armia

If the line next year is still Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Armia, it won't be a service to KK at even strength, unless your goal is to develop him as a checking, shutdown C, with offense a secondary target.

Both Lehkonen and Armia, when it comes to goal scoring, are black holes. 'Wasted Opportunity' could be their middle name. One on a line would be useful for KK to assist in puck control (I choose Armia over Lehkonen, easily), but not both as they are offense snuff kings. KK needs a winger that can convert and demonstrate some physicality in the cycle game to assist the other winger and KK in respect to board battles fr the puck.

Tatar-Domi-Byron/Shaw is also a compromise line. We also need a stronger RW option for that line.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
If the line next year is still Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Armia, it won't be a service to KK at even strength, unless your goal is to develop him as a checking, shutdown C, with offense a secondary target.

Both Lehkonen and Armia, when it comes to goal scoring, are black holes. 'Wasted Opportunity' could be their middle name. One on a line would be useful for KK to assist in puck control (I choose Armia over Lehkonen, easily), but not both as they are offense snuff kings. KK needs a winger that can convert and demonstrate some physicality in the cycle game to assist the other winger and KK in respect to board battles fr the puck.

Tatar-Domi-Byron/Shaw is also a compromise line. We also need a stronger RW option for that line.

Hmm Shaw has 26 points in 37 games, what more do you want?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I like our prospect pool a lot but I'm not going to think they will all turn into impact players or make the NHL right away. It's premature.

Kotkaniemi was battling Pleky, DLR, Peca for the 3rd line center role. Suzuki will be battling a heck of a lot of wingers. Some LW who can play both sides (Lehkonen, Byron, Tatar) and our current RW (Gallagher, Armia, Shaw).

What winger does Suzuki outplay and take his job as a 20 year old in his first NHL season? We already have one too many top 9 forwards and Shaw or Byron will have to move to 4th line.

Drouin / Danault / Gallagher
Tatar / Domi / Byron or Shaw
Lehkonen / Kotkaniemi / Armia

You're right, you can't just assume every prospect will turn into an impact player for the next 15 years. IMO, Suzuki can use a year, or most of the year, depending on his performance, playing under Bouchard in Laval. I also think it is important that he works on gaining strength in the offseason, as well as perhaps improving his explosiveness while skating.

At the end of next year, for example, if all went well in terms of development and progression for Suzuki, I'd much prefer a line of Suzuki - KK - Armia than Lehkonen - KK - Armia. The size of Armia could help compensate for the lack of size of Suzuki, but I'd bank on Suzuki sniping pucks in the back of the net from his off-side over Lehkonen contributing in this fashion. I believe that Suzuki has the hockey IQ to anticipate KK's plays and the tandem could be really interesting since Suzuki has an NHL quality shot, IMO.

Hmm Shaw has 26 points in 37 games, what more do you want?

More certainty brought on by less health issues. I'm actually a fan of Shaw, but I have little hope for him still being in the team plans in the medium to long term, unfortunately.

Obviously he will be given a chance. But I doubt he will look like he can score 20 goals and knock down Lehkonen or Armia. 3 assist in 5 WJC games with no goals. The kid is a play making winger with some goal scoring ability. Going to take time

Sure, base your assessment on one tournament where he was asked to be a role player that didn't include top-6 minutes or expectations. That is not fair to the player in this instance, IMO. I dont expect miracles from Suzuki, but I don't actively attempt to undercut the player either.

It is going to take time, though, I agree. You don't give him enough credit for his shot, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
One full season at AHL level will help him.

Depending on how he looks at camp next year, I'm all for Suzuki starting in Laval. And I wouldn't expect him to play the full year there. But to get Bouchard to work with him could be beneficial to Suzuki.

How good it feels to know that you can have prospects play in the AHL and feel comfortable that they will turn up better. A major difference over years past.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Depending on how he looks at camp next year, I'm all for Suzuki starting in Laval. And I wouldn't expect him to play the full year there. But to get Bouchard to work with him could be beneficial to Suzuki.

How good it feels to know that you can have prospects play in the AHL and feel comfortable that they will turn up better. A major difference over years past.
100% that suzuki needs to translate his game in the AHL and play under bouchard, an exigent coach who prones, hard work, work ethics and intensity. Wich is the only departments where suzuki is lacking, along with his wierd strides and first 3 steps. Bouchard will make him work his feet and make him a better pro. I realy want him and poehling to spend time there and develop chemistry and jump in the show together, realy feel like their game compliments each other and will facilitate their transition to the NHL when they are ready,

Having, poehling, suzuki, brook all jumping in the AHL could be huge for laval, even if its not for a full season!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Even if he has a great training camp I would still like to see him start the season in Laval.

It depends how good he is. He'll be much better than last year - stronger and faster. Players at that age tend to improve a lot from year to year. He could be a better option than Lehkonen in the top 9. And I wouldn't mind having Lehkonen on the 4th line and have to earn his way into the top 9. Plus, he'd be a real asset on the 4th line.

Reactions: Runner77

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

Yep! We have some incredibly talented kids coming up for Laval.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If he makes the team there isn’t a point in not giving him 9 games
9 games doesn't mean anything for Suzuki. As long as he doesn't stay on the NHL roster for 40 games, he will reach UFA status in June 2027 (7 seasons and 27 yo). If he is on the roster for 40+ NHL games, it's June 2026 (7 seasons even if 26 yo).

Reactions: admiralcadillac

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
As an NHL comparable... I see a RNH type player if RNH was a winger

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He said he doesnt wanna go there...He is coming to camp to make it

Said he would like to play with the Eagle...

He's got tough competition on the wings. Gallagher, Armia, Shaw and several players that can play both wings... Tatar, Byron, Lehkonen. This is not the same as Kotkaniemi winning the 3rd line center job over Pleky, DLR, and Peca.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
He's got tough competition on the wings. Gallagher, Armia, Shaw and several players that can play both wings... Tatar, Byron, Lehkonen. This is not the same as Kotkaniemi winning the 3rd line center job over Pleky, DLR, and Peca.
True but he'll be two years older than JK was. Still your point is valid, the competition on the wings will be stiffer.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Seriously? Are we that deep on wing that it would be hard to make the team at wing? As it stands, with Domi still at C, we have Drouin and tatar as established top-6 LWs. On the right, we have Gallagher. Even if Shaw is the 2nd line RW, there is definitely room for Suzuki at wing. The assumption is that the kid makes the team based on higher talent than Lehkonen, Armia, Byron, Weise, Deslauriers, etc.

I doubt Suzuki would start as a top-6 winger, but he can surely end up beating out plenty of other bottom 6 wingers o this team to play a 3rd line RW role.

LW is deep, especially if Domi were to return to the wing, but, beyond Gallagher, RW is pretty weak on this team.

That said, I agree that Suzuki should start the year in Laval, really with Poehling as a line partner and Brook on the back end. The WJC trifecta should grow together in the AHL.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
If Suzuki makes the Habs next year, I will be very surprised and happy at the same time. That means he won the job over our current top 9 depth. He would be ahead of my expected development curve.

I agree, but MON weakness at RW might falsify his progression level.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Seriously? Are we that deep on wing that it would be hard to make the team at wing? As it stands, with Domi still at C, we have Drouin and tatar as established top-6 LWs. On the right, we have Gallagher. Even if Shaw is the 2nd line RW, there is definitely room for Suzuki at wing. The assumption is that the kid makes the team based on higher talent than Lehkonen, Armia, Byron, Weise, Deslauriers, etc.

I doubt Suzuki would start as a top-6 winger, but he can surely end up beating out plenty of other bottom 6 wingers o this team to play a 3rd line RW role.

LW is deep, especially if Domi were to return to the wing, but, beyond Gallagher, RW is pretty weak on this team.

That said, I agree that Suzuki should start the year in Laval, really with Poehling as a line partner and Brook on the back end. The WJC trifecta should grow together in the AHL.

Shaw's playing like a top 6 this year, and I don't see them moving Armia to the 4th line.

So where is Suzuki playing if all of those guys are healthy? 4th line?

He'll start in Laval next season.

I think Poehling has more chances to make the team from the start cuz he could play as a 4th line center.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree, but MON weakness at RW might falsify his progression level.

I don't think he wins the job over Gallagher, Armia, and Shaw. Maybe Shaw but then we have Byron, Tatar, Lehkonen who play both wings and someone has to move to the off wing. If Poehling shows potential to play 3rd line center (I think he is more NHL ready than Suzuki), that clutters the top 9 even more. What if we sign someone with our cap space? More clutter.

I'm 80% convinced that Suzuki plays most of the year in the AHL. I hope he proves me wrong cause that would be a good problem to have. I just think he needs time to adjust to a more physical game and less time and space. If we had room for him like Kotkaniemi, that's a different story. But Suzuki will have stiff competition at RW.

If Stone was willing to extend (7 years at $9.5M max), I would be open to trading Suzuki, Fleury, and our 1st (lottery protected). Bet you other teams have a hard time outbidding us. Steep price to pay but Stone is a game changer for us IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->