Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I think we're going to look back in a few years on posts like this and snicker.

That isn't a knock in any way on kk, but it's clear as day that Suzuki has all the upside potential in the world.
He was drafted higher, therefore he has higher potential. That's how it works on HF.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Did you believe this February 2019 (when he was 19) after he came back from a disappointing WJC?

Been defending Suzuki for a while. Had him first in our top 20 prospects this summer.

You never know, maybe KK develops into an elite player. He's a damn smart player with great hands and vision. I'm just stating my opinion on his upside.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
You know, everyone is talking about Hughes for the Calder, but if this continues I wouldn't be surprised if Suzuki is a major part of the conversation at the end of the season. Especially if the season is lost with 15 games to go, they may play him even more.

What Hughes is doing in Vancouver is impressive, especially on the blueline

HABsurde

Jul 28, 2005
Montreal
You know, everyone is talking about Hughes for the Calder, but if this continues I wouldn't be surprised if Suzuki is a major part of the conversation at the end of the season. Especially if the season is lost with 15 games to go, they may play him even more.
I think more people are talking about Makar than Hughes but i could see Suzuki named among the three finalist for the Calder, specialy if Olofsson doesn't go back in the Buffalo line up soon

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Suzuki is the 1st line center now, Danault already lost his position. And when KK comes back ready for the NHL he’s gonna bump Danault down to 3rd in importance.

I'd like to go with Suzuki, Domi, Danault next year. And hopefully we'll have 6 good, skilled wingers, so each has two good linemates to play with (Tatar, Gallagher, Kovalchuk, Armia, Drouin, ?).

Let KK marinate in Laval until 2021-2022. Him reaching his potential is too important. Let him over develop.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Been defending Suzuki for a while. Had him first in our top 20 prospects this summer.

You never know, maybe KK develops into an elite player. He's a damn smart player with great hands and vision. I'm just stating my opinion on his upside.
Is there any player that has great skillset, great IQ and solid athleticism(which is improved on, but it's not bad enough at first that makes one think its a huge flaw) that didnt become a good player in the league?I was never really worried about Suzuki.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I still can't figure out KK's upside. He had a really really solid year for how young he was. I don't think he has Suzuki's raw upside but when he fills out he could be quite the handful. My money is on Suzuki being the better C. KK's got great tools just not really super flashy though. I think we're in a nice spot C wise regardless.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think more people are talking about Makar than Hughes but i could see Suzuki named among the three finalist for the Calder, specialy if Olofsson doesn't go back in the Buffalo line up soon

That 3rd nomination is wide open right now after maker and Hughes. The way Suzuki is trending, he's got as good a shot as anyone to be that nominee. It wasn't that long ago when Suzuki was not even thought of in this race, but he's made up a lot of race track in a fairly short time.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Not a chance. Hughes and Makar, as Dmen, what they're doing is going to take the cake.

Reactions: Chez Jesperi

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
That 3rd nomination is wide open right now after maker and Hughes. The way Suzuki is trending, he's got as good a shot as anyone to be that nominee. It wasn't that long ago when Suzuki was not even thought of in this race, but he's made up a lot of race track in a fairly short time.
Suzuki been outstanding since moving to center

Reactions: Chez Jesperi

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
They're two different kinds of players, and I think Suzuki is easily the higher ability player at the moment. I think we can all agree Suzuki right now is morealso much likely to reach his ceiling, but KK has the potential to be a tilt the ice kind of dominating playmaker with size that is nothing to sneeze at. I think once his body is filled out he will be able to play heavier on the boards and protect the puck easier. Plus now that he's with Bouchard he'll grow his game.

Suzuki's moves tonight we're just awesome to watch. With fantastic vision and reading of the play, plus his discipline to not force dekes, could Pavel Datsyuk be a comparable for Suzuki (style wise obviously, not overall ability)? He reminds me of him in the way he is always in great position and has explosive skill that can catch defenders off guard.
The more I watch, the more I see it. I wrote this about him early last year when he was still playing for OS Attack:

"Stylistically, Datsyuk. They play an eerily similar game. The way Suzuki can cut through defense with his hands (and edges), pick players pockets, interecept passes is Datsyuk like. Even their size and skating is similar. Not saying he's going to be the next Datsyuk but he certainly plays like him."

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Suzuki oozed class, confidence and control throughout last night's game.

On current form, he's at the top of the depth chart and making Domi very, very expendable

Reactions: montreal

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
So there's potentially 22 games left, and he has 34 points. Does anybody else think he has a decent chance to hit 50 points? What was the last Habs rookie (20 years and less) to hit 50 points?

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
So there's potentially 22 games left, and he has 34 points. Does anybody else think he has a decent chance to hit 50 points? What was the last Habs rookie (20 years and less) to hit 50 points?
Theirs 26 games left. Pretty sure he'll get it.

Last one was Koivu if I'm not mistaken. Chucky and Gally would have come close but I think Gally was 21

Reactions: FrankMTL

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Math when you're tired is hard lol. It took every single one of my brain cells to figure that one out this morning.

I agree lol. My youngest was up all night coughing up a storm, so I barely slept.

Back to the subject though, the last 20 year old rookie I can find that had over 50 points for the Habs is Bernie Geoffiron in the 1951-1952 season. He had 54 points in 67 games. That can't be the last one though....Or maybe it is.

Reactions: DangerDave

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Not a chance. Hughes and Makar, as Dmen, what they're doing is going to take the cake.

I would agree, but if Suzuki can keep up his recent scoring pace and finish ahead in points by at least 15 or more, it’s going to be pretty tight.

But yeah, even with his recent performances, Makar would get my vote.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto

Theirs 26 games left. Pretty sure he'll get it.

Last one was Koivu if I'm not mistaken. Chucky and Gally would have come close but I think Gally was 21

Ryder lead rookies in scoring with over 60 points!

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
3rd in rookie voting would be impressive, especially considering he had to work his way up in the lineup, then over to center. Don't want to turn this into a CJ discussion, but earning that responsibility is impressive by itself, considering CJ doesn't usually gift minutes to young players.

I've said this before, but the player he reminds me of is Datsyuk. There's an effortless quality to how he plays. Doesn't seem to be working hard, but is always right where he should be. Highly skilled with the puck on his stick. Smart. Calm. Last night, when he pinned the defender's stick to take the puck and flip it off the crossbar ... that was Datsyukian.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think Kotkaniemi has more upside than Suzuki

Imoossible for me to say at this point. But they both have such high upside that the can be legit #1a, #1b centers on a cup contending team. Not ssying they'll bith hit their ceilings. But those are their ceilings, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad