Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part 11

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Unlike Kovalev, he shows up to play night in and night out; whereas Kovalev was temperamental and inconsistent. I would take peak Suz over peak Kovalev 10 out of 10 times. L'artiste may have been slightly more talented but he didn't bring it every game. Slick Nic does.

I like Suzuki but c'mon now. There's very few players I'd take over a "peak" Kovalev. He had issues obviously but his ability at peak level was not one of them.

Reactions: Nicko999

tnq

Feb 16, 2004
Dach is flashier no doubt about it his game is far more appealing to the eye.
The turnovers he creates including his stick work are a lot more violent than Nick's subtle picks.
But Dach doesn't or at least hasn't checked off all the boxes Suzuki has in their young careers.
There is HUGE value to be found in Nick's durability for example.

Even this year people were talking about how they were ready to annoint Dach as our number 1 next season.
Give him Caufield give him Slaf because Suzuki can play with anyone. :skeptic:
They never took into consideration that our management group and our coaching staff would never in a million years treat our Captain like that.
I have no problem if Dach becomes our number 1 but he will have to put in a couple of seasons of exemplary work at a minimum to displace Suzuki.
Like Avs when they had Sakic and Forsberg. A good captain knows what to do to make team better

Reactions: Rapala

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Since the all star break he has played 22 games and has 25 points,impressive,he has turned it up a notch. Showing great things every game.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I like Suzuki but c'mon now. There's very few players I'd take over a "peak" Kovalev. He had issues obviously but his ability at peak level was not one of them.
You missed the point, the point being Kovelv's peak was not going to last more than a game or two before he went on a hiatus for a bit, while Suzy would be there for every game.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Since the all star break he has played 22 games and has 25 points,impressive,he has turned it up a notch. Showing great things every game.

All the more impressive when you factor in Monahan's departure and the ramping up of overall play/intensity that the playoff push drives in teams fighting to get in or ramping up for a cup run

Reactions: rik schau

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Suzuki is in the same ball park as Eichel, it's time we admit it now. Yesterday was a prime example of that. He went tit for tat with the best player in the world, and Id say he came out on top.

Slaf is clearly tracking to be Stone-like too.
I don’t agree with that

Eichel is PPG career player who is at least a top 15 Center. He’s a real #1 C close to a franchise player

Suzuki is more a 1B if where honest.

Stone is an elite 2 way winger probably the best in the league, Slaf a beaucoup de croûtes à manger before being considered at that level

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don’t agree with that

Eichel is PPG career player who is at least a top 15 Center. He’s a real #1 C close to a franchise player

Suzuki is more a 1B if where honest.

Stone is an elite 2 way winger probably the best in the league, Slaf a beaucoup de croûtes à manger before being considered at that level
No. Update your beliefs. Suzuki is a top 15 C. A solid one at that.

Slaf is 19 and hes already at a similar level 23 YO stone was. Well be fine. Stop selling our players short.

Another good thing about Helenius is that he is a natural RW with a 200 foot game. With all due respect to Caufield, we don't have anyone like that in our pool that is projected to be top6. If it came down to Catton/Iginla/Helenius, that might be the deciding factor.
Iginla was seen as a grinder/two-way player before this season.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Slaf is 19 and hes already at a similar level 23 YO stone was. Well be fine. Stop selling our players short.
It’s easy one is PPG career player the other one may have his 1st PPG season.

There is at least 20 C I take before Suzuki but not 15 I take before Eichel.

Many player had a better career trajectory then Stone at 19 but attending the level Stone his a completely different thing.

Sorry to not overrate our players

Reactions: Nicko999

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Iginla was seen as a grinder/two-way player before this season.
Suzuki is ranked 17th in points for centers (As defined by nhl.com which is iffy as guys like Guentzel are listed as C and ahead of him) and he brings a 2-way game that many above him don't have like Stutzle who has 1 point more but brings nothing outside of those points. So yeah it's pretty safe to say he's top-15 C.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Who the heck was Suzuki hanging with during the All-Star weekend?
22 GP 16-9-25
The assist totals show me he hasn't got much help at all in the finishing department.
It's not like he stopped passing the puck and setting players up.
What a shame.

Reactions: Sagikev and Redux91

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
22 GP 16-9-25
The assist totals show me he hasn't got much help at all in the finishing department.
What a shame.
1711559676226.png

mcdavid: "literally just shoot the puck lol"

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Many player had a better career trajectory then Stone at 19 but attending the level Stone his a completely different thing.

I do agree that Eichel is clearly better than Suzuki, but I don't see 20 better centers than Suzuki this year. I'm talking about full time centers, not those who switch to wing to load up the top line.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016

Sure their careers somewhat matters for comparing but doesn’t tell who’s better right now in itself. Suzuki has far less to work with and is on an iron man streak whilst Eichel has a bionic neck and mostly just a lot more hype. It’s not even ridiculous to say you’d rather have Suzuki going forward.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Sure their careers somewhat matters for comparing but doesn’t tell who’s better right now in itself. Suzuki has far less to work with and is on an iron man streak whilst Eichel has a bionic neck and mostly just a lot more hype. It’s not even ridiculous to say you’d rather have Suzuki going forward.
Sure but Eichel can take control of the game like not many players can do in the league. Suzuki is a really good player but he’s just not at the same level

Reactions: SlafySZN

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Suzuki is ranked 17th in points for centers (As defined by nhl.com which is iffy as guys like Guentzel are listed as C and ahead of him) and he brings a 2-way game that many above him don't have like Stutzle who has 1 point more but brings nothing outside of those points. So yeah it's pretty safe to say he's top-15 C.
He doesn’t need to be firmly 15th or whatever. Just has to be in that average group for centers. Coming into this year he was clearly a bottom tier guy. But this season he’s joined the average number one group: it doesn’t matter if he’s 14th or 17th or 13th or whatever. He’s in that mid tier group.

And now that I’ve said that, watch him shit the bed.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
22 GP 16-9-25
What a shame.
Suzuki always had a bump in production after the All-Star weekend, but this year he's not doing it with bottom 6 players on his wing.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
What a shame.
If only he had Zach Hyman on his wing!

:sarcasm:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
His peak level lasted 5 minutes in a game - at most in some games.

Also, Suzuki brings other value to the game that Kovalev didn't even know existed. For example, Suzuki is not Bergeron but he's damn close. He plays the PK. Imagine putting Kovalev on the PK.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Suzuki always had a bump in production after the All-Star weekend, but this year he's not doing it with bottom 6 players on his wing.
I think a bigger bump happened after we got the long rest. But you are right he comes back stronger after a break.
For me this doesn't compare simply because of all the other things he's doing besides scoring.

The consistency is shift to shift for the most part something we didn't see last season.
I'm just wondering if the guys got to talking about the Olympic experience because they brought up Suzuki's interest again last night.

Reactions: morhilane

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I also take into account that Suzuki has been on a dog shit team where the 2nd leading scorer had 38 points.
And he does have every offensive opportunity to produce.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Nick and I do think he’s top 15-30 C but I think there is gap after a certain type of player (EP, Eichel, Barkov, Matthews, Leon)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad