Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part 11

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Celebrini would give us the best center depth in the league

Cant change my mind.
It would be pretty damn good. Newhook is also a center. Evans is solid at 4 and Beck is on the way.

Some guys would go to the wing. And btw, if Suzuki were on the wing he could become an insane sniper.

Reactions: Sagikev and badfish

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Last year, some Habs fans here were saying Dach was better than Suzuki. I disagreed but i guess there was arguments for it.

Now of course Suzuki played all games this season and progressed a lot while Dach missed the entire season.

But imagine if Dach stays healthy starting next year and keep progressing. In two years, we might be able to ice two centers the caliber of Suzuki. Two big centers with above average two-way game and scoring at or near PPG pace. If Dach can upgrade his faceoffs numbers to only 50%, we will have a pretty dominant 1-2 punch down the middle for nearly a decade.

So all in all, if Dach can stay healthy, i think we are set at center.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It would be pretty damn good. Newhook is also a center. Evans is solid at 4 and Beck is on the way.

Some guys would go to the wing. And btw, if Suzuki were on the wing he could become an insane sniper.
Suzuki is not going on the wing.

When is the last time a top 15 C got moved to the wing permanently? Draisaitl is the only one and its because their roster is god awful.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Suzuki is not going on the wing.

When is the last time a top 15 C got moved to the wing permanently? Draisaitl is the only one and its because their roster is god awful.
Forget top 15. Superstars often do it if you’ve got multiple superstar centers. Peter Forsberg, Fedorov, Malkin, Drai, Stamkos, Zetterberg… happens all the time.

Reactions: SOLR

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I don't think we become cup contenders before our young guns on D become more mature. Hutson, Reinbacher and Mailloux will need a good 3-4 years to reach their ceilings.

If Kent can trade for a top 6 forward this summer and Dach stays healthy, we might battle for a spot in the playoffs but i would put my money on the 2025-2026 season. All of our great prospects on D will be in the lineup and probably our 1st pick in this years draft.

After that, the time we take to get to the contending level will depend on the way those young players progress and on the way HuGo surround them with the right veterans.

Reactions: Redux91

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't think we become cup contenders before our young guns on D become more mature. Hutson, Reinbacher and Mailloux will need a good 3-4 years to reach their ceilings.

If Kent can trade for a top 6 forward this summer and Dach stays healthy, we might battle for a spot in the playoffs but i would put my money on the 2025-2026 season. All of our great prospects on D will be in the lineup and probably our 1st pick in this years draft.

After that, the time we take to get to the contending level will depend on the way those young players progress and on the way HuGo surround them with the right veterans.
I don’t think we make it but with a healthy Dach things look a lot better. Probably a couple of years away from adding Hutson and RB though… I’d say it’s 25-26.

This year’s pick is so important.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Last year, some Habs fans here were saying Dach was better than Suzuki. I disagreed but i guess there was arguments for it.

Now of course Suzuki played all games this season and progressed a lot while Dach missed the entire season.

But imagine if Dach stays healthy starting next year and keep progressing. In two years, we might be able to ice two centers the caliber of Suzuki. Two big centers with above average two-way game and scoring at or near PPG pace. If Dach can upgrade his faceoffs numbers to only 50%, we will have a pretty dominant 1-2 punch down the middle for nearly a decade.

So all in all, if Dach can stay healthy, i think we are set at center.
Dach is flashier no doubt about it his game is far more appealing to the eye.
The turnovers he creates including his stick work are a lot more violent than Nick's subtle picks.
But Dach doesn't or at least hasn't checked off all the boxes Suzuki has in their young careers.
There is HUGE value to be found in Nick's durability for example.

Even this year people were talking about how they were ready to annoint Dach as our number 1 next season.
Give him Caufield give him Slaf because Suzuki can play with anyone. :skeptic:
They never took into consideration that our management group and our coaching staff would never in a million years treat our Captain like that.
I have no problem if Dach becomes our number 1 but he will have to put in a couple of seasons of exemplary work at a minimum to displace Suzuki.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Dach is flashier no doubt about it his game is far more appealing to the eye.
The turnovers he creates including his stick work are a lot more violent than Nick's subtle picks.
But Dach doesn't or at least hasn't checked off all the boxes Suzuki has in their young careers.
There is HUGE value to be found in Nick's durability for example.

Even this year people were talking about how they were ready to annoint Dach as our number 1 next season.
They never took into consideration that our management group and our coaching staff would never in a million years treat our Captain like that.
I have no problem if Dach becomes our number 1 but he will have to put in a couple of seasons of exemplary work at a minimum to displace Suzuki.
Its true though that Nicholas can play with anyone. Carrying RHP and Andy last year? No problems.

The great thing is that neither will need to play with "anyone" because we have 2 other top 6 wingers in Roy and Newie and probably another one coming with the next pick.

I also dont even think its farfetched to say Dach could be the 1C, thats how great out situation is at C IMO.

LesHabitants

Oct 20, 2022
Nick's PPG progression

2019-2020: 0.57 (71GP)
2020-2021: 0.73 (56GP)
2021-2022: 0.74 (82GP)
2022-2023: 0.8 (82GP)
2023-2024: 0.94 (70GP so far)

What's amazing is how consistent he's been in his progression. Line goes up. Fun time to be a Suzuki fan :handclap:
At that rate he'll pass Gretzky in about 9 years.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The guy is a 2way physical beast that other teams can’t contain, let’s shift him to the wing!
I'm not saying move him to the wing.
LG has been trying really hard to not look like a fool but hes not doing himself any favors.

He should take the advice from me, as I look like a fool on the weekly.
Happy to defend anything I've argued. But I won't defend against what's been invented.
Looking like a fool with his pants on the ground
All I said was Suzuki needs to step up. It was past due and I said it was time to prove it.

He's had a great year.

• Wow
Reactions: nicehiss

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Nick's PPG progression

What's amazing is how consistent he's been in his progression. Line goes up. Fun time to be a Suzuki fan :handclap:
Better quality linemates this year...................remember last year, the guy was given everybody, to try and get them going.......
He has been awesome during his career with us!!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Better quality linemates this year...................remember last year, the guy was given everybody, to try and get them going.......
He has been awesome during his career with us!!
It's not that simple. Around mid Jan he was pacing for his usual 60 something points. Same linemates as now.

Then he just... took off. And he was easily the best player on that line. Even when Slaf and CC went cold he was still incredible. And that holds true now.

Reactions: SOLR

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Nick's PPG progression

He is who some of us knew he was... Patience isn't for everyone, but the terrible takes of the past are in the past. Nice to see posters coming around and enjoying the ride... even those twisting into pretzels trying to rationalize the way they misread what has been visible for a long time to those who knew what they were watching as he developed... it was never a question of IF Suzuki is a #1C, the only question has always been just how good of a #1C he will top out as.

Future is bright 😎

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It's not that simple. Around mid Jan he was pacing for his usual 60 something points. Same linemates as now.

Then he just... took off. And he was easily the best player on that line. Even when Slaf and CC went cold he was still incredible. And that holds true now.
No signs of slowing down at all...................thinking next year, CC has his shooting percentage return and Slaf on the line to start the year, and Suzuki if he keeps himself healthy, boy we could have our first PPG guy in what, 15 years!
Not to mention he could pull it off this year, all the while being on a bottom feeder, with no one helping with tough matchups....

Reactions: Miller Time

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Nick's PPG progression

Consistent, predictable, linear growth.

(Just a reference to the Slaf parabolic, exponential growth)

Nick is awesome, a real captain and a true 1C.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Responding on the next shift... Tit for tat with arguably the best forward in the league right now (top 2 at least), is simply outstanding

Kid (remember he's still just 24) is such a gamer.

Reactions: Redux91

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Not bad for a 2C, a disappointment (CC) & the worst 1OA pick ever...

A 2C with one of the worst contracts in the league. Lest we forget.

Unlike Kovalev, he shows up to play night in and night out; whereas Kovalev was temperamental and inconsistent. I would take peak Suz over peak Kovalev 10 out of 10 times. L'artiste may have been slightly more talented but he didn't bring it every game. Slick Nic does.

Yet I loved Kovalev. He's one of my all time favourite Habs. When he was on he made hockey, beautiful.

Also, Nick is a born leader. Caufield's tweet says as much. Kovalev couldn't lead a flock of sheep.

Though Kovalev wore the C for us once or twice.

So does Suzuki ;)

Well Claude Julien was crazy about him. Saw him as a Bergeron.

Let’s induct him now.

F that. I don't want him slumming with the likes of Kevin Lowe. Stick him to the rafters right away.

I'd like to see:
Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Roy
Newhook-Dach-Caufield

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Suzuki is taking his D play seriously going plus 4 on the 5 game road trip.
It's probably a career stat he wants to turn on its head.

He is a very complete competitor... He's been that way for a long time. That kind of mindset is a recipe for long term excellence.

Future is bright 😎

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad