Nick Robertson, what do you think about this Kid ?

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Amirov/AM/MM
Ny/JT/Kase
Ritchie/Kerfoot/Bunting
Eng/Kampf/Mikhey
Simmonds/Spezza/Brooks

Amirov is just the type of player AM and MM need, a probable Hy replacement without the size. From what I've read about him, he's fast, shots often, forechecks, backchecks and can carry the puck, he might be even better than Hy.

Ny wants to play LW, a healthy Kase is an impressive player, the more talented JT's linemates are, the better he'll look.

Ritchie is not fast, Bunting has had one hot streak in the NHL and he's 25, Kerfoot didn't look all that impressive last year, this could be a gigantic problem for the Leafs.

Kampf line will provide zero offense, I often wonder why teams assemble lines like this, lines that have reasonable d and reasonable offense seems a better balance to me.

For TO to improve or maybe even stay as good as they were last year I think that Amirov needs to be NHL ready sometimes this year, Kase needs to be healthy for most of the year, Bunting needs to show that his improbable results from last year weren't a fluke, Spezza needs to stay young, Simmonds needs to make himself useful and more, much, much more.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Both Amirov and Robertson are next generation Leafs, the Kapanens Johnson’s Hyman’s move on, stop gaps like Ritchie get signed and draft picks like Amirov and Robertson develop, if they become top six players at some point after over cooking , it will be because one of the big 4 that get moved, lost to Free Agency or move to Robidas Island that creates their void to fill.

Our window is closing, none of our big 4 signed max term contracts...we will need these young players to step in when the shoes drop.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
So all of y'all definitely don't see him making through the camp and playing for us in the big show in the nhl from the start? It doesn't happen with our current roster?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I had no idea Robertson was a 9/11 baby. Hope that isn't a bad omen.

Not only was Robertson born on 9/11, he was three months premature. He spent six weeks on life support in Arcadia, Calif., and had a bout of pneumonia. Part of his story will be told in a CBS special on Saturday, which explored how many Americans born on that fateful day have grown up in its shadow.
“I went to New York to film that and look forward to seeing myself on TV and how I did.”

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Both Amirov and Robertson are next generation Leafs, the Kapanens Johnson’s Hyman’s move on, stop gaps like Ritchie get signed and draft picks like Amirov and Robertson develop, if they become top six players at some point after over cooking , it will be because one of the big 4 that get moved, lost to Free Agency or move to Robidas Island that creates their void to fill.

Our window is closing, none of our big 4 signed max term contracts...we will need these young players to step in when the shoes drop.
We don’t have a window remember. Shanny said so :). We are supposed to be perennial contenders. Dumpster diving perennial contenders until the cap changes from flat.
I’m not seeing our window closing at all. They have done nothing so if it is closing why do we bother. Would like to see some variances in the style of players being drafted everything being equal of course among the options.
Take a big physical stay at home defenseman that can skate and pass above average instead of the small skilled forward once in a blue moon. This decision could also involve a little drafting for need of the system.
Draft high energy character players later rounds instead of skilled small forwards every time. There is so much skill,skill,skill acceptable year after year but needs drafting opportunities do come available in the overall blend of filling out a system. Sometimes it just might make sense all being comparatively equal. I think our defense has lacked the proper balance since the Pat Burns days for instance.
I don’t necessarily hang off the term “the window is closing”. I’m not so sure the drafting process has been as complex as it should be. BPA after the cream of the crop players is complex and the balancing act of who is choosen and why should have some direct influence coming from where your deficiencies are in your system i believe.
I think we are going to be competitive and lacking if drafting isn’t taking the more complex route of filling actual needs occasionally.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I had no idea Robertson was a 9/11 baby. Hope that isn't a bad omen.
Interesting sire. Will this raise his chances of making the lineup, if our leafs go the scripted route sire? Like we have that new show where they film our beloved leafs all the time, even dubas is right there. Will this robertson story make the cut? Its on television sire october!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Interesting sire. Will this raise his chances of making the lineup, if our leafs go the scripted route sire? Like we have that new show where they film our beloved leafs all the time, even dubas is right there. Will this robertson story make the cut? Its on television sire october!
I believe he's on a CBS show on today about 9/11 that's unrelated to the Leafs.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I believe he's on a CBS show on today about 9/11 that's unrelated to the Leafs.
Ok sire. But I was talkin bout that new television show where they film our leafs all the time. It was called like... they finna show it early on october. Dubas is in the trailer already. Etc. I was talkin bout maybe this new story bout robertson will lift him into the club? Like playing for us, cause his story is interesting now. It wasn't before the 9-11 highlight. This is real interesting and makes it tv. That's how they work it, often I mean.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Robertson is going to be the most interesting talking point at the main camp. To me he looks incredible against rookie camp guys. He’s simple head and shoulders our best prospect right now.

I was wondering what kind of tempo he was going to have early and its really really high from what little I’ve seen. I’m waiting for main camp with big hopes for him to force decisions and make the team. That shot of his is absolutely blistering. His release looks faster. He looks ready but I’ll refrain from getting to optimistic before main camp.
The way he is moving and obvious improvement on his release i am tempted to say he is guaranteed a Leaf this year. The other rookies aren’t enough competition for him for me to say that. Looking good if he motors in main camp like he has against the other prospects.
He just looks really improved. He looks like a pro.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Robertson looks like he's coming for a spot. He wants to be a Leaf bad. Mikheyev wants out. Much rather see Robertson or Anderson in his spot. I subscribe hard to not wanting players here that don't want to be here.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Think he's gonna come into camp playing so well they'll have to trade and/or waive guys to fit him in the lineup; a problem for management, but a good one.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Couple quotes on Nick.

I worry about his reply, which basically stated that he couldn't, or wouldn't, dial it back because that's just not his style. I realize he's just a kid and is gung-ho and all that. But if you've got people telling you to "pick your spots" more or less, and you're not willing to do that, then we may have a problem. I hope that's not the case.

Reactions: Alamo Leafer

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Couple quotes on Nick.

That's consistent with some of the game action we've seen with Robertson at the NHL level. You'll all be familiar with the typical Robertson shift where it looks like he wants to play man on man vs every guy out there and is constantly closing and sweep checking and chasing after the puck on the ice.

I guess what's implied here is he's playing the game like he's "being chased by bees" vs getting the most out of his dogged hard work. Being as young as he is, I'm sure those are things that can be dialed back, and of course we'd rather have a guy who works too hard than a guy who needs to be pushed and prodded.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Robertson is going to be the most interesting talking point at the main camp. To me he looks incredible against rookie camp guys. He’s simple head and shoulders our best prospect right now.

I was wondering what kind of tempo he was going to have early and its really really high from what little I’ve seen. I’m waiting for main camp with big hopes for him to force decisions and make the team. That shot of his is absolutely blistering. His release looks faster. He looks ready but I’ll refrain from getting to optimistic before main camp.
The way he is moving and obvious improvement on his release i am tempted to say he is guaranteed a Leaf this year. The other rookies aren’t enough competition for him for me to say that. Looking good if he motors in main camp like he has against the other prospects.
He just looks really improved. He looks like a pro.
That's effin wonderful to hear sire. :clap: Nice to hear. Imagine him starting with tavares......? That would shock the world and like ritchie being on the first line with marner and matthews and defending them hard.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
That's consistent with some of the game action we've seen with Robertson at the NHL level. You'll all be familiar with the typical Robertson shift where it looks like he wants to play man on man vs every guy out there and is constantly closing and sweep checking and chasing after the puck on the ice.

I guess what's implied here is he's playing the game like he's "being chased by bees" vs getting the most out of his dogged hard work. Being as young as he is, I'm sure those are things that can be dialed back, and of course we'd rather have a guy who works too hard than a guy who needs to be pushed and prodded.
And like with some players of hockey... y'all really can see when they ain't reading any books neither. Never opened a book. Think about a goofy like puljujarvi... :biglaugh: The young man ain't the brightest or smartest star out there. For surely. He can't even speak. These suckas ain't opening books enough... if a robertson wants to get sharper and wiser, open up a book already. Get SMARTZ. Opens the whole game too better.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
And like with some players of hockey... y'all really can see when they ain't reading any books neither. Never opened a book. Think about a goofy like puljujarvi... :biglaugh: The young man ain't the brightest or smartest star out there. For surely. He can't even speak. These suckas ain't opening books enough... if a robertson wants to get sharper and wiser, open up a book already. Get SMARTZ. Opens the whole game too better.
I probably shouldn’t say this but i think he is making the team. He just has that jump and confidence he was hoping for already.

Reactions: Coachcorner

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I probably shouldn’t say this but i think he is making the team. He just has that jump and confidence he was hoping for already.
I'm like really hoping for that there sire. And thats a bold ass statement for surely. Was so glad to see that you was seeing him play now and looking fierce. If he opening those books up too.... then only sky is the limit mayne. Like he finna then play ether with tavares, johnny our capitano or the beat scorer in todays game in matthews. Thats hard right thurr sire.

Reactions: al secord

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I'm like really hoping for that there sire. And thats a bold ass statement for surely. Was so glad to see that you was seeing him play now and looking fierce. If he opening those books up too.... then only sky is the limit mayne. Like he finna then play ether with tavares, johnny our capitano or the beat scorer in todays game in matthews. Thats hard right thurr sire.
Hoping he cleans right up in the tournament. Also hoping he shows grit and a chip on his shoulders when the going gets tough in this set of games. He’s got to show some growl to when the body starts getting layed on him. Show your intangibles to little nicky :)

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Hoping he cleans right up in the tournament. Also hoping he shows grit and a chip on his shoulders when the going gets tough in this set of games. He’s got to show some growl to when the body starts getting layed on him. Show your intangibles to little nicky :)
Love dat dere sire :clap: And at this point would like to thank all of y'alls who have seen him getting better during this stint and all the reports to the tsn etc also. I almost forgot about how pesty and peppery like robertson was.... he ain't no sucka. The guy has the pepper in him for surely. Lets hope for a real juicy stint on these games like you already stated sire. This season will only get more fun as we go on and this planet spins around on the sky or really on the space as we human beings have named the black space around it.... damn that's deep like robertson's try out this time sire.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Love dat dere sire :clap: And at this point would like to thank all of y'alls who have seen him getting better during this stint and all the reports to the tsn etc also. I almost forgot about how pesty and peppery like robertson was.... he ain't no sucka. The guy has the pepper in him for surely. Lets hope for a real juicy stint on these games like you already stated sire. This season will only get more fun as we go on and this planet spins around on the sky or really on the space as we human beings have named the black space around it.... damn that's deep like robertson's try out this time sire.
Haha awesome.suckas spinning out of control lately lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad