Nick Robertson, what do you think about this Kid ?

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I doubt he starts the year in the NHL. If he can stay healthy, I can see him getting prompted by the end of the year with the big club.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hopefully Robertson is taking this summer to work on his strength and conditioning in the gym.

He needs to become more physically mature before we can pencil him as a regular at the NHL level as he is still too small and light on his feet that he is easily knocked down and off the puck the last we saw of him in the NHL.

He is also best suited for an offensive role at the NHL level, so when he is ready and fully cooked, he will be competing for a top 6 role, as playing in the bottom of the roster isn't his strength nor forte as goal scoring is his best weapon.

Reactions: TopCheese

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Giraffe Pierre , is a vet and Robertson can play circles around him , even at this stage of his career
I’ll grant you obviously that the young man a lot to work on , but its not even close , Robertson is a real player and has balls that Pierre couldn’t fit in his Jock strap
Well thats because his strap is made for no balls man haha. Da lol

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Greg Moore is a very bad AHL coach and Robertson still put up 16 points in 21 games on a bad Marlies team as a 19 year old.

I think it’s unanimous that we all agree he really needs to work on his strength and balance. Breathing next to him seemed to knock him over in the games I've watched.

He’ll likely start in the AHL but I can see him being an early call up if he has a good start. He’s very skilled and has very good potential.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Best case scenario for me: Robertson Tavares Marner.
Most likely scenario: At least half the season with the Marlies.
Unknown variable: Has Robertson physically matured/grown into being better able to cope with the league?

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Kid can really fire the biscuit. Assuming he doesn’t skip leg day he’s somewhere between a few months and a season from being a contributor.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
If he trains as hard as he plays, then he should really be sniffing the roster to start the season. The problem is, he's been sniffing the roster for the past 2 years and has looked really out of place both times. He's still so young though, so we have plenty of reasons to be confident that he'll figure out a way to put it all together in the near future.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I think his value is still high after his crazy ohl season, and perhaps his brother’s excellent rookie season might be a positive as well. He doesn’t have a place, right now I think, on a team that is supposed to be contending, so maybe it might be worthwhile selling him to the highest bidder. I’d be happy to see him stay with the Marlies though and learn to dominate with SDA, Gogolev and whoever else for at least another year (if not two).

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think his value is still high after his crazy ohl season, and perhaps his brother’s excellent rookie season might be a positive as well. He doesn’t have a place, right now I think, on a team that is supposed to be contending, so maybe it might be worthwhile selling him to the highest bidder. I’d be happy to see him stay with the Marlies though and learn to dominate with SDA, Gogolev and whoever else for at least another year (if not two).

No, you don't trade an ELC guy who can put the biscuit in the basket.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
No, you don't trade an ELC guy who can put the biscuit in the basket.
I disagree, you absolutely trade anybody if it gets a quality return. You especially trade a non roster player. It has been a small amount of games in both NHL and AHL but in that limited amount he has definitely not put the biscuit in the basket. He had a lot of great looks in the A but couldn’t beat the goalie. If you look at his goals from the ohl you will notice that a sizeable amount are on shots an nhl goalie would generally stop. I do wonder if Robertson is going to pan out and whether the team should take that risk at this stage of contention.

D00bis

Jan 15, 2019
I see his career kinda in the same vein as nylander. Was pretty small when we first got him but had tremendous skill, played on the Marlies then he worked out and bulked up to before an everyday nhl’er. I envision him in a top 6 role as well…eventually

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
Hopefully Robertson is taking this summer to work on his strength and conditioning in the gym.

He needs to become more physically mature before we can pencil him as a regular at the NHL level as he is still too small and light on his feet that he is easily knocked down and off the puck the last we saw of him in the NHL.

He is also best suited for an offensive role at the NHL level, so when he is ready and fully cooked, he will be competing for a top 6 role, as playing in the bottom of the roster isn't his strength nor forte as goal scoring is his best weapon.
Would prefer he improves his skating over strength

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
We have more then enough scrubs on this team that if he gets his strength up he could easily take a spot

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I think he’s gonna be a 20 goal scorer. Career high of 27 goals hopefully not in a contract year.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
He needs to play. This overmarinating players in the A needs to stop

He's better of playing 4th line minutes with Spezzs than Vesey and Barabnov. AHL is still AHL and NHL still NHL

He needs a full year to catch up to speed and timing.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He needs to play. This overmarinating players in the A needs to stop

He's better of playing 4th line minutes with Spezzs than Vesey and Barabnov. AHL is still AHL and NHL still NHL

He needs a full year to catch up to speed and timing.

I don't think we're at the overmarinating phase yet with him, he's still only 19. Another half season (Or full one even) in the AHL wont hurt his development.

Personally i can see him challenging for a Leafs roster spot by the tdl if things go well

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don't think we're at the overmarinating phase yet with him, he's still only 19. Another half season (Or full one even) in the AHL wont hurt his development.

Personally i can see him challenging for a Leafs roster spot by the tdl if things go well
I agree he’s still young. If he comes in flying he could make the team. Being waiver exempt does nothing favourable for his chances nonetheless. I think he will be good and still get cut to the Marlies. The easier going of the early regular season might serve him just as well as Larger minutes in the A. I believe he has a outside chance to take a spot but not a great chance.

Reactions: fahad203

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I wouldn’t have a issue with Robertson playing in the Ahl but i would if he earned the spot in camp and got sent anyways because he is waiver exempt. He will be up against it in camp against significantly more experienced players but lets see how he does in camp and exhibition games

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I see no problem having Nick play in the AHL for parts or the entirety of this year. William Nylander spent parts of 2 seasons in the AHL as well as time in a mens league in Sweden. Naz spent parts of 3 season's with the Marlies. It did absolutely nothing but prepare them for the NHL. He is 19 years old, and coming off of an injury plagued rookie season as a pro. I am not going to place an expectation on Nick to be in our lineup that is slightly unfair to him. I would not be surprised if he does in fact make it, but I certainly will not think less of him if he doesn't. Further, I won't think he is a bust if he does in fact make the team out of camp and doesn't make the impact that the public projects him to make. It is entirely in the realm of possibilities that he has a season that is split between the Marlies and Leafs and that is completely fine. It worked out just fine for Naz, Kappy, and willy. No reason to believe it won't for Nick.

I think people forget just how young Nick is. I want to say he was the youngest draft eligible player in 2019 draft. Falling only 1 month older than the #1 overall pick in 2020 Alexis Lafreniere.

Nick will determine where he plays this year. If he comes to camp stronger on his skates, I see him making this team no problem. If he continues to get knocked off the puck easily, He can go dominate the A for a bit. Big bubble no trouble

Reactions: New Liskeard

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I'm not as high on this kid as I was last year when he was playing playoff games for us. #1 issue I have with him is his skating. Idk what it is but it just looks very weak, childish. Like I'm watching a child skate around the ice rather than an adult. Skating can be improved, but I don't expect anything impactful to come from him anymore.

Caufield showed me what an impact prospect looks like during the playoffs, and even then Caufield's probably headed more for something like 30-35 goals, 60 points territory than star territory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad