Nick Robertson, what do you think about this Kid ?

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
He is not ready for top six or a defensive bottom 6 line. That being said on a sheltered offensive bottom 6 line he could be very good imo. I dont think confidence is an issue with this kid and I dont think he needs to grow his game in the AHL that much. I think it would be good for his development to play in the NHL even if he isnt getting a ton of ice time. I say play him on Kerfoots wing on a sheltered bottom 6 scoring line.

Reactions: Zybalto

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Doesn't seem like he has it unfortunately. I've seen him in proposed lineups for over two years, but I just don't see it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not ready at all. What we should do is incubate him as the go to guy on the Marlies and then bring him up a la Caufield down the stretch and see if he’s more NHL ready then.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
He is exactly as described.. tries to do too much. He needs to learn to keep it simple. A full season in the AHL won’t hurt him

Reactions: Nylander88

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
They need to send him down and play him 22-26 minutes a night. Call him up upon first injury. But he needs to play in all situations. I do think he’ll be a player for us, but Covid has derailed his development a bit.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I was one who had high hopes coming into this camp. But he needs a full AHL year. Ho-sang is definitely ahead of him (if signed), Brooks is ahead of him, and Semyonov I'd argue is ahead of him. And all three of those players are likely on the outside looking in without a trade or a surprise cut. A year in the AHL as the top weapon on the Marlies won't hurt him at all

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Which weakens the pair Matthews & Tavares plays against

If only this played out in reality. No playoff wins to show for this so called "weakening" of lines vs Matthews, Tavares, Marner, and Nylander. Toronto has had center depth for a few seasons now and has yet to make things challenging for an opposing coach. I've yet to see weakening of lines vs Tavares and Matthews.

CupcakeSprinkles

Apr 11, 2021
The kid will be an NHL'er.. lets not forget though he's only 20 and yet to have a full pro season under his belt. I think dominating for the Marlies and being one of the first injury call-ups is a great feat for him. He's going to be "The Guy" for the Marlies.

We have a super deep squad with the acquisition of Ritchie, Kase, Bunting in their mid 20's.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Sometimes when a kid is trying to put it together they take a step back before moving forward. Robertson looks like he has a lot in his head right now, instead of just instinctual, as he processes what he’s trying to work on, perhaps at the expense of his innate talent. Kid is a keeper, that motor isn’t something you can learn, it will serve him well when he tailors his game to succeed in the NHL. He will be in the mix this year at some point.

Mar 12, 2009
covid and his injury lead to less playing and less development last year, give him a full year to develop in the AHL with top minutes and get a feel for the pro game both on and off the ice (ie. getting used to a heavy schedule and fatigue/how to offset it)

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I get a feeling with some of the new UFAs and PTOs that they never expected Robertson to take a step into the NHL. Same goes for Anderson. It's okay the Robertson is not quite ready. The Leafs seem to have enough depth.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Looks less like an NHL player than he did when he first came up.
Yes, it's unfortunate. This fanbase (tbf I assume all fanbases) hype up any new thing. I think some got well ahead of themselves when evaluating Robertson. I don't think he's a surefire NHL prospect, but he very well could be. Needs a lot more time developing and hopefully the fans who've slotted him next to Matthews/Marner since his draft day can take take step back and give the guy time.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I am pretty happy they are trying him on the PK in the pre-season.
For a guy like him to really reach full value, you need him to be playing special teams minutes.

I cant see him subplanting anyone on PP1 (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares) so he likely gets some PP2 minutes if he was in the NHL.
But if he can add being a solid PKer to his arsenal he becomes a much more valuable player overall for the Leafs.

Put him in the AHL, play him a good but not insane amount on even strength and have him really work on PP and PK.
He is still very young and raw, and has missed a good amount of time over the last year and a bit.
At his age, he needs reps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad