Nick Robertson, what do you think about this Kid ?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Robertson is still quite raw. Has the look of an unevenly developed prospect with maybe an elite shot arsenal but a little uncomfortable with the puck, skating and speed isn’t really strong and although physically willing to engage doesn’t have the size or maybe the strength to be effective yet. I don’t love his wheels, seems to be a factor that will have a big impact on how effective he can be in the NHL and requires a lot of refinement. Good thing is he’s really young and seems like a very dedicated player. Ideally would stash him away for a couple of years and give him that Andreas Johnsson development path with the Marlies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Robertson is still quite raw. Has the look of an unevenly developed prospect with maybe an elite shot arsenal but a little uncomfortable with the puck, skating and speed isn’t really strong and although physically willing to engage doesn’t have the size or maybe the strength to be effective yet. I don’t love his wheels, seems to be a factor that will have a big impact on how effective he can be in the NHL and requires a lot of refinement. Good thing is he’s really young and seems like a very dedicated player. Ideally would stash him away for a couple of years and give him that Andreas Johnsson development path with the Marlies.

I can't disagree with anything said here. You can see what he's got, but he's just not ready to really contribute at the NHL level yet. Play him in the AHL, work on everything that needs work, build great confidence. Give him a taste of the NHL every once in a while, to see how much closer he is, and then just wait until he is truly ready.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Skates and shoots like Phil Kessel lite in my opinion. While he falls short of Kessel's shot by a hair, he does show willingness to go in the dirty areas, and forecheck.

I think he needs to continue to get stronger and put more emphasis on his lower body strength and he'll be quite a player for us.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Thought last night was his best game in the NHL. Don't care about the points at this stage in his development as long as he's generating chances.

His positioning without the puck looks better after his AHL stint where he was getting PK reps. His goal scoring instincts are obviously elite but he's going to be a zone entry monster in a few years. Reminiscent of Nylander in that respect.

Less than 10GP in the NHL and he already looks capable enough to hang in the top 6. I'd argue his game is more suitable for the NHL than the AHL. If they want him to get more minutes with the Marlies, that's understandable, but don't know how you can justify sitting this guy in a taxi-squad moving forward.

That has more to do with being an undersized 19 year old adjusting to the fastest league in the world than it does with being "unevenly developed". The more he plays, the more dangerous he looks offensively.

He is raw but stashing him away for years is extreme overkill. Let him learn on the job because his brain and skill-set are NHL level. The areas that he needs to improve are traditionally worked on in the off-season (LB strength, straight-line speed, balance). He won't make big gains in those areas mid-season regardless of the league he's playing in.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
he looks really choppy and doesn't seem to know how to do anything at less than 100% intensity, but it's undeniable that good things happen for the Leafs when he's on the ice. He's ready to be an NHL player right now, but I think he'll become a lot better once he settles into the league and gets comfortable

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That has more to do with being an undersized 19 year old adjusting to the fastest league in the world than it does with being "unevenly developed". The more he plays, the more dangerous he looks offensively.

He is raw but stashing him away for years is extreme overkill. Let him learn on the job because his brain and skill-set are NHL level. The areas that he needs to improve are traditionally worked on in the off-season (LB strength, straight-line speed, balance). He won't make big gains in those areas mid-season regardless of the league he's playing in.

An undersized 19 year old is the definition of unevenly developed. He's not strong enough yet, his skating is not allowing him to cover the ice efficiently and a lot of his handles don't yet translate because his hand eye, aside from his cannon shot, is still a work in progress.

He's a very unique prospect, but there's absolutely nothing overkill about putting him in the minors for a couple of years. If anything they've brought him along quite far in a short amount of time. For reference, I'd point to Kasperi Kapanen who had superior pedigree as a first rounder and had a more conventional higher end skillset and the Leafs still played him with the Marlies for parts of three seasons before coming up at 22 to stay. Robertson is still only *19* and looking every bit a 19 year old. We don't need him yet.

Reactions: definedMF

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I like everything about him but 1. He needs to take more shot bc he could be the best pure scorer on the team beside AM. 2. Why does he kept falling?

Reactions: justloveleafs

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
he looks really choppy and doesn't seem to know how to do anything at less than 100% intensity, but it's undeniable that good things happen for the Leafs when he's on the ice. He's ready to be an NHL player right now, but I think he'll become a lot better once he settles into the league and gets comfortable

No one saw Rick Vaive either. Me, I see something.

Vaive, used to come, out of the Leaf dressing room. In a huge fur coat.

Did any Leaf score from where he did. Ever.

I see something in this Roberston, he wants to shoot, all the time

Thanks to god for that.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Still needs a bit more time. Plays too rambunctious; full throttle all the time. Doesn't seem to stay on his feet well enough yet either. Some more AHL seasoning would be best.

Reactions: Alamo Leafer

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
To me, he was really noticeable against Vancouver.

What did Dick Irvin say, in that incredible movie, the Rocket,........ Irvin said, that is what I want.

Yes, he reminds me of Maurice, Rocket Richard.

Intense. Edgy. And contrary to popular belief. Not a Rielly on skates.

But he lives to score.

This kid is very interesting. I am confident Dubas knows a lot more good stuff than I do.

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
To me, he was really noticeable against Vancouver.

What did Dick Irvin say, in that incredible movie, the Rocket,........ Irvin said, that is what I want.

Yes, he reminds me of Maurice, Rocket Richard.

Intense. Edgy. And contrary to popular belief. Not a Rielly on skates.

But he lives to score.

This kid is very interesting. I am confident Dubas knows a lot more good stuff than I do.
I don’t want to see Maurice tonight! I want the rocket!!

Fantastic movie I’ve seen it a bunch of times.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Reminds me of Kadri when he was younger in that he wants to be very involved but isn't strong enough yet to make the impact he wants to.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Do we know which line he is playing on tonight? I didn't see anything online about practice lines yesterday but may have missed it.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
I don’t want to see Maurice tonight! I want the rocket!!

Fantastic movie I’ve seen it a bunch of times.

I have received a warning from HF, well deserved, so I cannot give you a very well deserved like and love for loving that great french Canadian movie.

Next post of yours, unless it totally sucks, it gets a like brother.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I know this is completely a coincidence, but Nick has played in 6 games this year and the Leafs have lost 5 of them lol. The 1 win they have with him in the lineup is when he played 3 shifts and got hurt. Not even remotely his fault, just a weird stat

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
He has looked solid for a guy his age on a team looking to compete.

His skating and his edge work still needs to improve.
Knowing where to be as the trigger man still needs to develop against NHL level talent.

Honestly, I would show him as much Zach Hyman footage as I can.
Hyman has developed from being the grinding guy who plays 2 ways, to developing the offensive side.

If a guy like Robertson takes on more of the Hyman or Marchand mentality (not the dirtiness) he can be somethign special.
He is also still young enough to be given the time to try and develop that mentality at the AHL level first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad