Player Discussion Nick Ritchie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Sure, the cost to obtain was definitely high. But he at least had a track record of producing in the league, even if it was just the regular season. The first they gave up for Kase is an even bigger risk, imo, because they're betting he puts it all together at some point despite a lack of track record. He's young though, so maybe it works out.

To be fair to Kase and not to hang that albatross around his neck, the first was to get ANA to take Backes. Kase would not have required that one for one.

Reactions: Gee Wally and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
To be fair to Kase and not to hang that albatross around his neck, the first was to get ANA to take Backes. Kase would not have required that one for one.

Absolutely. It wasn't just Kase for a first, obviously. I like what I saw out of him last game too, so there's plenty of hope and room to build on provided he stays healthy.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Absolutely. It wasn't just Kase for a first, obviously. I like what I saw out of him last game too, so there's plenty of hope and room to build on provided he stays healthy.

I thought he had a solid game also- while the end of the reg season seems a long time ago and memories are fuzzy, it seems like yesterday was the best game I've seen out of him since he joined the team. Here's to that continuing- what a massive relief it would be if he becomes a consistent 2nd line wing.

Reactions: mg08 and LSCII

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
We will see if there is a "playoff" Nick Ritchie. Maybe he will play with more nastiness and intensity

Otherwise he will join his brother on bus rides down at Providence next season

Reactions: LSCII

BruinsNetwork

Nick Ritchie, including the Round Robin, has played just nine games for Boston. That’s exactly half of what Drew Stafford, who I’m sure many completely forgot about, had played for Boston.

My point? Well, the guy hasn’t even hit double-digit games played for his team yet, following a four-month shutdown, in the middle of a global pandemic. Seems way too many people here have made up their minds about a guy who literally hasn’t even had time to settle it.

Anyways, I thought Ritchie was literally fine in both games against Tampa and Washington. He absolutely needs to score on that botched play yesterday, but otherwise? He was fine. His speed is definitely a concern, as his is inconsistent play, though.

Against Tampa, I thought Ritchie genuinely looked pretty good. As I mentioned, the speed was definitely a noticeable hinderance, but once he got going down-low, I thought he was a tough out. I liked that he engaged with, and challenged, multiple Tampa players after multiple whistle. Obviously they didn’t want to go with him, especially Anthony Cirelli.

I really don’t know where he fits, but I just don’t know why there’s so much hatred towards a guy who hasn’t even had double-digit games to fit in or not. Hate to generalize, but it’s quite clear by this point that the ones who adored Heinen just hate Ritchie because he was swapped out for him. It’s also clear that the Heinen haters and proponents of size and toughness love this guy simply because he’s not him.

This place is really hard to consistently read and engage sometimes because of all the emotional, personal vendettas against trades, players and other posters on the board.

Anyways, maybe just give the guy a chance? If he doesn’t work out, he doesn’t work out. Maybe he’s best suited on the fourth-line and makes an impact there, who knows yet? Either way, there were things to like and dislike about him in the RR, so let’s just see how it plays out and whether or not he seizes this opportunity.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
We will see if there is a "playoff" Nick Ritchie. Maybe he will play with more nastiness and intensity

Otherwise he will join his brother on bus rides down at Providence next season

No he won't. The Bruins traded Heinen for him so they're going to what they can out of him. He's not even close to being a player you get rid of. He can play and is much better than his brother, on talent alone.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Far too long. And I agree, it's on management at this point. I think the issue is that they've tried to get a big bodied guy instead of just a player with some finish, and it's creating the problem because rather than paying the price for that big body with skill, they're focused on just the size piece of it.

Is finish what you want? I want it too, but I want a great deal more team toughness. They simply don't have enough. And again, even if Ritchie were Lucic in his prime, relying on ONE GUY to bring it is ridiculous.

It's astonishing. Sweeney and Neely should certainly know better. Peter Chiarelli did. But they don't.

Why?

Reactions: Fenian24

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I think Sweeney has realized he and Cassidy's dream of pure finesse hockey is never going to happen. Frederic and Beecher in the last two first rounds and some guys like Hall deeper in the draft indicate that Sweeney realizes lack of size and grit is a big flaw on this team.

Sadly this adjustment won't be made until the core is too old to contribute and they do not have another Rask, Krejci, Bergeron or Chara ready to come into the line up. Undervaluing grit, size and toughness and trying to fill it with AHL caliber playes, guys coming off career years or overpaying for guys past their primes is the result. Heading into a playoff, again, not ready to compete with bigger more physical teams is the result.

Of course they looked so awful in the round robin they could have Cashman, Wensink, Jonathan or Thornton on this team and it wouldn't matter

Reactions: The National

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Is finish what you want? I want it too, but I want a great deal more team toughness. They simply don't have enough. And again, even if Ritchie were Lucic in his prime, relying on ONE GUY to bring it is ridiculous.

It's astonishing. Sweeney and Neely should certainly know better. Peter Chiarelli did. But they don't.

Why?
Maybe look behind the bench.....

Reactions: GordonHowe

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Nick Ritchie, including the Round Robin, has played just nine games for Boston. That’s exactly half of what Drew Stafford, who I’m sure many completely forgot about, had played for Boston.

My point? Well, the guy hasn’t even hit double-digit games played for his team yet, following a four-month shutdown, in the middle of a global pandemic. Seems way too many people here have made up their minds about a guy who literally hasn’t even had time to settle it.

Anyways, I thought Ritchie was literally fine in both games against Tampa and Washington. He absolutely needs to score on that botched play yesterday, but otherwise? He was fine. His speed is definitely a concern, as his is inconsistent play, though.

Against Tampa, I thought Ritchie genuinely looked pretty good. As I mentioned, the speed was definitely a noticeable hinderance, but once he got going down-low, I thought he was a tough out. I liked that he engaged with, and challenged, multiple Tampa players after multiple whistle. Obviously they didn’t want to go with him, especially Anthony Cirelli.

I really don’t know where he fits, but I just don’t know why there’s so much hatred towards a guy who hasn’t even had double-digit games to fit in or not. Hate to generalize, but it’s quite clear by this point that the ones who adored Heinen just hate Ritchie because he was swapped out for him. It’s also clear that the Heinen haters and proponents of size and toughness love this guy simply because he’s not him.

This place is really hard to consistently read and engage sometimes because of all the emotional, personal vendettas against trades, players and other posters on the board.

Anyways, maybe just give the guy a chance? If he doesn’t work out, he doesn’t work out. Maybe he’s best suited on the fourth-line and makes an impact there, who knows yet? Either way, there were things to like and dislike about him in the RR, so let’s just see how it plays out and whether or not he seizes this opportunity.

Post of day :clap::clap::clap:

Reactions: Sheppy

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

IMO it has more to do with the opponent the bruins are facing. With the Canes it's important the bruins insert speed/puck pursuit. Either Kuhlman Studnicka Zach meet this need.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
You're putting way too much emphasis on speed and ignoring NHL readiness with 2/3 here.

Take out speed and insert puck pursuit...IMO the true identify of the bruins. If Ritchie plays it's due to puck possession which he's pretty good at however in this series I see Cassidy looking for puck pursuit creating turnovers and entering the o zone with speed/purpose.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Why?

On the second line, yeah, I want someone that can finish. I'm tired of management trying to go big and physical with zero finish, since we've seen with both Ritchies, Backes, and Beleskey that they key for DK isn't just big and physical, but big and physical with skill. They've tried physical, now let's just give DK someone that can convert a pass into a f***ing goal for a change. lol

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Why?

Meh. The Bruins have plenty of team toughness. They stand up for each other. Different guys will drop the gloves when needed. There was definitely a need for a guy like Ritchie and I'd be fine with adding another if he can play but I don't buy this notion the Bruins are not tough. Just for a comparison sake, let's look at the guys from the SC team that were the go-to's.

2011: Lucic, Thornton, Campbell, McQuaid, Boychuk, and Chara. Missing anyone?

2020: Ritchie, Wagner, Kuraly, and Chara. Lauzon has it in him and has shown to be tough and physical.

The differences up front are that Lucic was a prime Top 6 option while being one of the most feared physical players in the league and Thornton was a tough guy who could actually play and fight. Campbell didn't back down but got the bag beat out of him most of the time.

Team toughness is there pretty regularly and was there pretty regularly for that earlier squad as well. Krug and Marchand have no issues standing up for teammates even if they're small.

I don't know.... I think the toughness thing is over blown.

Reactions: BrainOfJ and LSCII

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
On the second line, yeah, I want someone that can finish. I'm tired of management trying to go big and physical with zero finish, since we've seen with both Ritchies, Backes, and Beleskey that they key for DK isn't just big and physical, but big and physical with skill. They've tried physical, now let's just give DK someone that can convert a pass into a f***ing goal for a change. lol

Yeah, Lucic and Horton were so good with Krejci because they fit his style perfectly and could produce. They were legit top 6 wingers.

Krejci now plays with two question marks. Now I'm a believer that DeBrusk is a legit T6LW and I think the numbers back it up but it's clear his run and gun style doesn't mesh well with Krejci. On the RW it's been a revolving door. Kase, the latest auction, looked very good there.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

LOL I was actually going to mention this yesterday when we chatted on Twitter. I feel like the people that defend Ritchie the most were the ones who shit on Heinen the most. Its well known I am a Heinen guy and have taken my shots at Ritchie as a top 6 option. As we talked about yesterday though, I think he could be a good 3rd/4th line guy. If he can bring some offense he'd be a solid #3LW, but without it he's a #4LW imo.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yeah, Lucic and Horton were so good with Krejci because they fit his style perfectly and could produce. They were legit top 6 wingers.

Krejci now plays with two question marks. Now I'm a believer that DeBrusk is a legit T6LW and I think the numbers back it up but it's clear his run and gun style doesn't mesh well with Krejci. On the RW it's been a revolving door. Kase, the latest auction, looked very good there.

Yep. It's a stylistic mismatch with JDB and DK. Both are skilled, but they play vastly different, polar opposite games. Adding size to DK's wing with nothing else has been proven to be wildly ineffective. Which is why I just want someone that meshes with him, regardless of stature. Maybe Kase can be that guy, but like you said, right now it's an unknown. I do know that it's not Ritchie, or at least the incarnation of Ritchie this season. Maybe if he puts in some work in the off season to improve his foot speed and skating, he could be a real option, but that's a big if.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Team toughness is not really a problem. This team has one problem and its a major flaw that has hampered it for five years now almost. We have no second line power wing who can score goals. Krejci is a world class center, wasting his talent has been such a sad thing too see. Even Schenn who was available two years ago, would have been great. This GM, has blown it big time not being more aggressive getting a top wing. Look what Taylor Hall is doingin Arizona. I have heard all the excuses. It is the major flaw. Had it gotten done, we may have 1 or 2 additional cups.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Nick Ritchie did nothing physically in a game where Krug and McAvoy both fought and Bjork had a kill shot on him. Pathetic, regardless if his "legs are back"... Not a personal vendetta at all, do your job. The whole "challenge" crap is an excuse for him. Push the issue. He had 2 hits, no shots, no blocks, no take aways. He needs to remember his role.

Reactions: BrainOfJ and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Nick Ritchie did nothing physically in a game where Krug and McAvoy both fought and Bjork had a kill shot on him. Pathetic, regardless if his "legs are back"... Not a personal vendetta at all, do your job. The whole "challenge" crap is an excuse for him. Push the issue. He had 2 hits, no shots, no blocks, no take aways. He needs to remember his role.

Spot on. If you're role is to be a physical presence, you need to uh, do that when it's time. Ritchie did not. To the point where two of the smaller guys on the team had to step up and actually do his job when it was time. Sad.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Spot on. If you're role is to be a physical presence, you need to uh, do that when it's time. Ritchie did not. To the point where two of the smaller guys on the team had to step up and actually do his job when it was time. Sad.

It was a heated game from the start, and OF COURSE the other teams shit stirrers show up and our guy does not. Whether he's played 1, 10 or 100 games for the Bruins, that's not acceptable. The guy could be a Lucic type but does he even have an interest in becoming that? No doubt in my mind the brass spoke to him about that game afterwards. This is what he said after the two regular season Tampa games he was a part of

“I think there are a lot of teams that have built their teams to play against Boston and I think Boston has built their team to play against some of those their teams,” said Ritchie. “You can see it a lot, especially in those two Tampa Bay games, especially the one in Boston. It was physical, there was scoring, the crowd was into it. It was a playoff style and I think that’s a lot more of what you’d see moving on once you get into it with those other teams in the Eastern Conference.”

Bruins' Nick Ritchie managing through tumultuous times

Sorry, not buying the "needs time" part to play physically.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It was a heated game from the start, and OF COURSE the other teams shit stirrers show up and our guy does not. Whether he's played 1, 10 or 100 games for the Bruins, that's not acceptable. The guy could be a Lucic type but does he even have an interest in becoming that? No doubt in my mind the brass spoke to him about that game afterwards. This is what he said after the two regular season Tampa games he was a part of

“I think there are a lot of teams that have built their teams to play against Boston and I think Boston has built their team to play against some of those their teams,” said Ritchie. “You can see it a lot, especially in those two Tampa Bay games, especially the one in Boston. It was physical, there was scoring, the crowd was into it. It was a playoff style and I think that’s a lot more of what you’d see moving on once you get into it with those other teams in the Eastern Conference.”

Bruins' Nick Ritchie managing through tumultuous times

Sorry, not buying the "needs time" part to play physically.

Exactly. You don't need to skate fast to be physical. You can still bring physicality despite the need to improve on the wheels. It's crazy because I was very critical of Backes' lack of skating the last few years, but that guy at least sacked the f*** up and accepted his role as a physical presence when he realized he wasn't cutting it with his production. While I never liked the contract, I fully respected his willingness to do what the team needed.

incidental otter

Registered Spraint
May 27, 2015

Sweeney, on Richie's expected role:
"It was an area that we felt we needed to address from some interior ice play, size and strength, net-front play, contested puck battles – things that we feel Nick will bring to the table for us."

Sweeney also mentioned that he expected the same things that Richie did with Anaheim. And its been pointed out that Richie's big-hitting years were years ago. So I think it reasonable to assume Don thought he was trading for a guy with size, strength and some skill... not a hitting machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese