Player Discussion Nick Ritchie

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
He lost board battles and coverage on both of Carolina's even strength goals and did nothing positive.

Get Kuhlman in there.

not sure that will happen

If the team lost tonight, I think they would have done that (or Studnicka). Its not like Bjork also was very solid tonight

Both need to step it up a notch tomorrow. Play at the level Coyle is playing

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Were we watching the same Bjork?? Bjork was all over the puck all afternoon. I dont know why some people are saying he had a bad game.

And even if he had nothing to show for it, at least his lazy back check wasnt the result of the first goal of the game. Ritchie should've been benched after that.

BruinsNetwork

Were we watching the same Bjork?? Bjork was all over the puck all afternoon. I dont know why some people are saying he had a bad game.

And even if he had nothing to show for it, at least his lazy back check wasnt the result of the first goal of the game. Ritchie should've been benched after that.

Ritchie played a pretty big role in Coyle’s goal, IMO. His size and strength around the net, especially with his stick, is a big reason why that puck got dislodged. He’s inconsistent for sure, but he absolutely did he job there.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Ritchie played a pretty big role in Coyle’s goal, IMO. His size and strength around the net, especially with his stick, is a big reason why that puck got dislodged. He’s inconsistent for sure, but he absolutely did he job there.
I was going to mention that. Not trying to take credit away.

He was absolutely a key cog in that goal.

But that blown back check on CARs first goal was brutal. He just quit on it.

Aside from those two plays however I didnt notice him much either in a positive or negative way. Bjork on the other hand had some key defensive plays and was on the puck all afternoon.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Wasn't it Bjork's stick that dislodged the puck?

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Aside from those two plays however I didnt notice him much either in a positive or negative way. Bjork on the other hand had some key defensive plays and was on the puck all afternoon.

He didn't play all that much. 12-13 minutes of TOI, which is about right. You get some of the positives while limiting the chances for the other team to expose his skating issues.

BruinsNetwork

Wasn't it Bjork's stick that dislodged the puck?

Grab the scrubber and slowly watch the frames here. Bjork had his stick on/next to the glove, but watch Ritchie. To my eyes, he clearly followed through with his stick and swept both his and Bjork’s right into the glove on his fore-hand. Ritchie helped make that happen and did exactly what they hoped he would there, IMO.

Also, Slavin is one of the strongest, best defenders in the league and had a tough time neutralizing Ritchie on that play. Does one of the smaller forwards make that happen? Who knows. Maybe, maybe not.

I agree he’s been inconsistent, I’ve been saying that since his first game. Just think he had his moments and today and that was a big one.

Reactions: BMC

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Grab the scrubber and slowly watch the frames here. Bjork had his stick on/next to the glove, but watch Ritchie. To my eyes, he clearly followed through with his stick and swept both his and Bjork’s right into the glove on his fore-hand. Ritchie helped make that happen and did exactly what they hoped he would there, IMO.

Also, Slavin is one of the strongest, best defenders in the league and had a tough time neutralizing Ritchie on that play. Does one of the smaller forwards make that happen? Who knows. Maybe, maybe not.

I agree he’s been inconsistent, I’ve been saying that since his first game. Just think he had his moments and today and that was a big one.

You're reaching. :laugh:

Even if Ritchie pushes the puck, he ends up helping Bjork since his stick was in between Ritchie's stick and the puck. But has anyone clarified why neither got an assists in the end, when both did get credit initially?

BruinsNetwork

He didn't play all that much. 12-13 minutes of TOI, which is about right. You get some of the positives while limiting the chances for the other team to expose his skating issues.

I appreciate and agree with both of these posts. Maybe he’s not an all-night fixture in the lineup, but he today? He helped keep the defensemen and forwards honest around the net, the boards and down-low, IMO.

Reactions: BMC, JCRO and LSCII

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

I watched it the best I could and to me it looked like it was starting to come loose by the time Ritchie fully got in there. Not saying he didn't somehow help out, but I think Bjork had more to do with that goal. Bjork made the initial shot, got into the dirty area and got his stick in there to limit PM's chance to cover the puck.

Did Ritchie have a few good plays today, ya but the good didn't outweigh the bad for me.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I appreciate and agree with both of these posts. Maybe he’s not an all-night fixture in the lineup, but he today? He helped keep the defensemen and forwards honest around the net, the boards and down-low, IMO.

I honestly don't understand why he and Bjork didn't get credit for an assist when it was clear they impacted the play and touched the puck.

BruinsNetwork

You're reaching. :laugh:

Even if Ritchie pushes the puck, he ends up helping Bjork since his stick was in between Ritchie's stick and the puck. But has anyone clarified why neither got an assists in the end, when both did get credit initially?

I mean, isn’t this just a different way of summarizing exactly what I said? Ritchie held his own against Slavin, fought the play and helped push the puck out of the glove onto Bjork’s stick. It’s okay that he did something well there.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I wish he would have improved his skating. I mean he had 4 months and is still is slow as when he came here. He will get time to prove himself as they need that kind of player. I think Frederic can do what he does, fight, hit and probably has better hands. Hopefully Ritchie shows us what he did in Junior and rises up, if not he may join his brother.

Reactions: BMC

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I mean, isn’t this just a different way of summarizing exactly what I said? Ritchie held his own against Slavin, fought the play and helped push the puck out of the glove onto Bjork’s stick. It’s okay that he did something well there.

Yes, it was a joke, which is why I put the emoji in there? lol

I think they both should have gotten credit because without their involvement, that puck never finds Coyle. So dumb that they gave them an assist each at first and then changed it to unassisted.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

BruinsNetwork

I watched it the best I could and to me it looked like it was starting to come loose by the time Ritchie fully got in there. Not saying he didn't somehow help out, but I think Bjork had more to do with that goal. Bjork made the initial shot, got into the dirty area and got his stick in there to limit PM's chance to cover the puck.

Did Ritchie have a few good plays today, ya but the good didn't outweigh the bad for me.

And honestly, not being argumentative or trying to fight either one of you, but from both of your last posts about this play, seems like you and @LSCII are trying to find ways to discredit Ritchie here.

Literally all of us can be on the same page here, I’m not some Ritchie fan boy and I agree with most of what both of you are saying. However, it’s okay to just admit what the video clearly shows— Nick Ritchie stood his ground, reacted, swung his stick into Mrazek’s glove and helped to dislodge it.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

Because they're not fans of the player and look for things on the ice to confirm their bias.

Reactions: BMC and Fenian24

BruinsNetwork

Yes, it was a joke, which is why I put the emoji in there? lol

I think they both should have gotten credit because without their involvement, that puck never finds Coyle. So dumb that they gave them an assist each at first and then changed it to unassisted.

Have you seen the way people use emojis here?! I have no idea what’s a joke, jab or not around these parts!

I agree though, I think both should have earned an assist there. Especially Bjork getting directly between everyone.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Have you seen the way people use emojis here?! I have no idea what’s a joke, jab or not around these parts!

I agree though, I think both should have earned an assist there. Especially Bjork getting directly between everyone.

It's the oddest thing. They both had credit for one for a period, then it was gone. Makes zero sense. And I hear you about the emoji stuff. But even if I have issues with a player or think they're being misused (in this case, Ritchie on the second line was my issue now he's on the third line so I'm good), I have no issues giving them credit when they do something positive.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
He should be a lot more talented than his brother based on what I saw from him in Anaheim. Maybe he just hasn't settled in yet.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Unless he find some sort of zip for his zap or manages to do a Kevan Miller and improve his skating, bottom six at best. If he can play with more energy and improve his skating even somewhat he could be very valuable.

I agree. But again, he is not a top six player.

I would like to be wrong about Ritchie and Kase, and today's play from both was encouraging.

Reactions: Dr Hook

HellFish89

Sep 28, 2018
Outside of some bad defensive play, he had one pretty heavy bodychek against Edmundson, reminicent of Lucic, wish he did a couple more of that. Outside his slow skating, I though he was kinda weak in board battle and puck protection, he's pretty big, but doesn't seems to have alot of strenght. Not just that he's nowhere near Coyle who is about the same size but he seems one of the worst foward of the team at it. Players like Krejci, Bjork, Kase, Pasta, aren't strong, but they keep the puck being snaky changing direction. Ritchie's skating doesn't give him this option, but guys like Kuraly and Bergeron who protect the puck more with their body seems to be a good bit stronger imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA