Player Discussion Nick Ritchie

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I’m hoping Coyle& Ritchie create a tough match up line when the ”real” games start

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Looking like a poor trade with every game

Zero points, zero impact

In some ways you prefer his older brother because at least he can skate a little better

I say bench him and play Kuhlman or Stud

He's a tweener. Either a solid 4th line option or a marginal 3rd line one. What makes it worse is the team had up until today, used him on the 2nd line, which is crazy.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I'm steadily coming to the unfortunate conclusion that Ritchie was a bad trade. He's a NHL-quality player and better than his brother, no question. In the right team he could effectively fill a 3rd line role. But the problem is that he just doesn't suit the Bruins, at all. He's not quick enough, doesn't play with enough intensity, and can neither play a slick passing game nor be much of a finisher. He's not good enough for our 2nd, holds back our 3rd, and wouldn't gel with the style of our 4th.

Ritchie was presumably brought in as a bigger body who can play physical, create space and put some fear in the opposition. The Bruins need those things - Sweeney was correct there - but they need them from a guy who can also skate and, if not create plays, at least take effective part in them. If Ritchie could move like Tom Wilson he'd do that just fine. But he can't, and so it feels like Don has made the error of trying to fill a hole but forgotten that the object used also has to fit in with the game style of the rest of the team, otherwise you end up with a net loss.

What the 3rd line really needs alongside Bjork and Coyle, and has done all season, is a bigger, better version of Kuhlman - someone with speed who may not have top-6 hands or playmaking ability, but has a heavy, effective shot that can finish the plays started by his linemates. Without that, I fear that Coyle's obvious talent is going to continue to be wasted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Estlin and LSCII

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
What the 3rd line really needs alongside Bjork and Coyle, and has done all season, is a bigger, better version of Kuhlman - someone with speed who may not have top-6 hands or playmaking ability, but has a heavy, effective shot that can finish the plays started by his linemates. Without that, I fear that Coyle's obvious talent is going to continue to be wasted.
Sounds like Senyshyn to me, surprised he didn’t get a look in the round robin.

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Sounds like Senyshyn to me, surprised he didn’t get a look in the round robin.

Quite possibly. I haven't been convinced from what I've seen of Seny so far, but I certainly wouldn't say he's a lost cause either and he definitely comes closer to the profile I described. It could well have been beneficial to have given him a look in at least one game, but without seeing the practices it's hard to say whether he was doing enough to earn that chance.

Reactions: LSCII

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Ritchie is just too slow to keep up with an NHL pace. It’s been his problem for awhile now and he doesn’t seem to care to work on it. He needs to work with whoever it was that helped Kevan Miller skate better.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I don't get the inconsistent intensity/physicality with this guy. He knows any shift he can be a dominant force. But it's just not consistent. He needs to bring the hits to the game more. His style suits Coyle well once they enter the offensive zone. He's good down low and puck protection.

Some guys just have that constant loose cannon attitude. Tom Wilson for example. Its frustrating because Ritchie could bring something close to that (the physicality aspect) but it just doesn't click every shift.

He's an NHLer but starting to think he's a higher end 4th liner who can take shifts on the 3rd line and contribute some.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
He's a tweener. Either a solid 4th line option or a marginal 3rd line one. What makes it worse is the team had up until today, used him on the 2nd line, which is crazy.

And how effing long have they been looking for a wing on the second line???

STILL auditioning at this point? Jesus.

DeBrusk is fine. Except when he's not fine. He's talented, doubtless a good guy, but also inconsistant.

If you're counting on a streaky player in a top six role, you're counting on losing. I'd rather have a less talented yet dependible player any day.

The line is a poorly constructed.

And that's managment's fault.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I think we're hearing the same complaints that we knew of before they traded for him. There's talent there, but he's not dedicated enough to improving off the ice. The word with Ritchie is effort. I think a lot of his problems could be fixed by simply working to be in better shape. If he really dedicated himself to being in the best shape of his life, I think he could live up to his potential.

He's only 24, but it's hard to believe he's going to make that change now.

Reactions: mg08 and LSCII

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
He brings size and inconsistent physical play. I would expect Frederic and Beecher to provide size, physicality and some grit up front next year and the year after. For now I will take Ritchie's inconsistent physical play over Danton Heinen any day of the week, never mind his cap hit is half of Heinens.

Sweeney seems to be able to find, draft and develop small, skilled forwards but every attempt he has made to add size and grit up front has failed from Beleskey and Backes possibly now to the Ritchie family. This is a huge missing piece for a very passive group of forwards. The lack of intensity in Bruins games this season has been very noticeable as has been their lack of push back.

Carolina is a good match up for them. Also a non physical team that they should be able to "outskill". When they get to Columbus, Washington, Tampa( who became much tougher to play against) or the Islanders it will be a very different story.

A fourth line of Ritchie-Kuraly-Wagner should be tough to play against.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I also agree that he is a player who should be much better than he is if he would dedicate himself to getting better. My dislike for the Kovalevs and Kessels of the world isn't just because they were passive players it was because they didn't care about getting better and helping their teams.

Nick Ritchie gets a skating coach and hits the gym he becomes a top 6 forward with his shot and release. Add a willingness to play hard night in and night out and he is a steal for Heinen. He is not doing that right now, getting by on his size and decent hockey IQ regarding positional play in the offensive zone.

Maybe if he doesn't get the contract he wants he will realize this and start to take conditioning and improving his game more seriously.

I still take him over the human answer to insomnia Danton Heinen

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
The sad part is that Ritchie might be the best guy available to fill out the roster. Imagine how awful Frederic and Senyshyn must be to not even get a sniff in Ritchie's spot. Although Heinen was certainly replaceable, it's looking like he was the better player in that transaction, which, coupled with yet another season of an incomplete 2nd line, is not a good look for Don "GM of the year" Sweeney.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
And how effing long have they been looking for a wing on the second line???

STILL auditioning at this point? Jesus.

DeBrusk is fine. Except when he's not fine. He's talented, doubtless a good guy, but also inconsistant.

If you're counting on a streaky player in a top six role, you're counting on losing. I'd rather have a less talented yet dependible player any day.

The line is a poorly constructed.

And that's managment's fault.

Far too long. And I agree, it's on management at this point. I think the issue is that they've tried to get a big bodied guy instead of just a player with some finish, and it's creating the problem because rather than paying the price for that big body with skill, they're focused on just the size piece of it.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Nash could have been good if not for the concussion that ended his career. Of the list you threw out there, Nash was by far the most skilled finisher.

Agreed...however i just didn't like giving up a first and 2nd?. He was a known playoff under performer, aging player, and injury prone. He was okay for the bruins but the bruins were playing better before he joined the team.

Not sure about the 2nd.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Agreed...however i just didn't like giving up a first and 2nd?. He was a known playoff under performer, aging player, and injury prone. He was okay for the bruins but the bruins were playing better before he joined the team.

Not sure about the 2nd.

Sure, the cost to obtain was definitely high. But he at least had a track record of producing in the league, even if it was just the regular season. The first they gave up for Kase is an even bigger risk, imo, because they're betting he puts it all together at some point despite a lack of track record. He's young though, so maybe it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille