Player Discussion Nick Ritchie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
On an unrelated note, how f***ing awesome is it that we're here talking about hockey and the play of the team instead of arguing about a virus and the response to it for a change? I've really missed this.
I can get behind this.

Reactions: LSCII

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
On an unrelated note, how f***ing awesome is it that we're here talking about hockey and the play of the team instead of arguing about a virus and the response to it for a change? I've really missed this.

Very true...nice to take your mind off the troubles in the world and day to day life stresses.

Now back to bashing Ritchie....lol

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
“Probably more goals” - Based on what?

In 27 games this year Ritchie has 9 goals in 48 games. In 25 games this year Coolman has 1 goal and 5 assists playing more on special teams. I believe Ritchie plays on the 2nd pp unit.

They're both ineffective offensive players however Coolman brings more - see above.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
In 27 games this year Ritchie has 2 goals and 4 assists. In 25 games this year Coolman has 1 goal and 5 assists playing more on special teams.

They're both ineffective offensive players however Coolman brings more - see above.
You’re thinking of Brett Ritchie.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
For a day or two until he tears something answering his cell phone.

(I’m kidding, but he worries me out there sometimes)

Who is he? What is he? Both of these players are a wash to me, at least at present.

Recall, the most important aspect of that deal was to unload David's contract. I give the Bruins genuine credit for this, while picking up two potentially helpful players.

Unfortunately, I don't believe either player will amount to much for the Bruins.

And -- yet again -- how many years has there been a serious second line question, on either wing (yes, I include the likable but maddeningly inconsistant JD)?

As noted in another post, DK#46 should be insulted. Asked to make chicken salad, as it were. And not least for all the flack he gets from dopes like me relative to his injuries, his contract, and sometimes indifferent play.

Oy!

Root

Feb 22, 2010
I don't think anyone is saying the above....what folk are saying is there are better options ahead of Ritchie. Ritchie really hasn't amounted to much his entire NHL career...why he was traded.

This is where I think people start to take it too far with Ritchie. Besides his first season when he was 19 years old and the Ducks rushed him to the NHL Ritchie has produced decent numbers for a young (potential) power forward...not great but decent. He's hovered around 30 points ever year, last year (18-19) he put up 31 points in 60 games. This season with the ducks he put up 19 points in 41 games, just under a point every other game. He's not that bad.

Again, I understand the frustration with his skating and not being in shape but he really isn't that bad. I like Kuhlman for what he is and I appreciate his hustle but Ritchie is better.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This is where I think people start to take it too far with Ritchie. Besides his first season when he was 19 years old and the Ducks rushed him to the NHL Ritchie has produced decent numbers for a young (potential) power forward...not great but decent. He's hovered around 30 points ever year, last year (18-19) he put up 31 points in 60 games. This season with the ducks he put up 19 points in 41 games, just under a point every other game. He's not that bad.

Again, I understand the frustration with his skating and not being in shape but he really isn't that bad. I like Kuhlman for what he is and I appreciate his hustle but Ritchie is better.

What I can't figure out about Ritchie is why the drastic drop off in hits-per-game from his first couple years when compared to his seasons afterwards. Could be a lot of things, but it's a significant drop. He was putting up 3-4 decent hits on average like he did back when he broke in, can he still do it if he sets his mind to it?

Root

Feb 22, 2010
What I can't figure out about Ritchie is why the drastic drop off in hits-per-game from his first couple years when compared to his seasons afterwards. Could be a lot of things, but it's a significant drop. He was putting up 3-4 decent hits on average like he did back when he broke in, can he still do it if he sets his mind to it?

It's an interesting point to bring up, my opinion is maybe when he first broke in he was a little lighter on his feet making it easier to throw his body around? Throwing hits is tiring, especially in the new NHL where players are faster than ever. If you're overweight and out of shape it's especially hard to throw the body. Not to sound like a broken record, but I really do feel most his problems are conditioning related, not talent.

incidental otter

Registered Spraint
May 27, 2015

The year after his career high in hits, he got his career high in points. His ice time also jumped nearly 2 mins, and his shooting percentage bumped.

He traded hits for offense, and has parlayed that pretty well.

Reactions: BruinDust

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
As a hater, I honestly liked what I saw from Ritchie on Wednesday. We are going to need him with Wilson on the ice Sunday.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
As a hater, I honestly liked what I saw from Ritchie on Wednesday. We are going to need him with Wilson on the ice Sunday.

Why? When the bell was rung, it wasn't Ritchie that responded. It was Krug and then Gryz. And yeah, I get people are going to say he may not have been on the ice at that moment. Yeah and? He still played after that point and if he'd gone out and run one of the Bolts players in response, the message would have been sent, no? But what did he do? Nothing. That's not the big physical presence you need if your 5'9" inch puck moving defenseman is the guy that has to set the tone now is it?

Reactions: Pia8988

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Why? When the bell was rung, it wasn't Ritchie that responded. It was Krug and then Gryz. And yeah, I get people are going to say he may not have been on the ice at that moment. Yeah and? He still played after that point and if he'd gone out and run one of the Bolts players in response, the message would have been sent, no? But what did he do? Nothing. That's not the big physical presence you need if your 5'9" inch puck moving defenseman is the guy that has to set the tone now is it?
I liked his play outside of the fighting aspect.but your right, wtf was it Gryz and Krug that had to fight?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I liked his play outside of the fighting aspect.but your right, wtf was it Gryz and Krug that had to fight?

Yep, that's where I'm at too. If you're brought in to be a big bodied, physical presence and you're given a spot on a line that you're not all that great a fit for, but you're there for one reason, when it comes time to do your job, you better f***ing do your job. Watching Krug and Gryz have to step up made me pissed off. It was like watching Marchand have to stand up for his teammates earlier in the season when nobody else would. Ritchie is here only to use his size, and when it came time to do that? He was watching like a passenger.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
If Brett and Nick Ritchie could have been physically intimidating as Lucic and McQuaid. We wouldn't be getting pushed around
Makes me really miss Kevan Miller. He hasn’t played in some time due to bad injury luck, but man did he play that role well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad