News: Nick Ritchie and Anaheim Ducks aren't close on a deal yet.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
The fact that he can't find his way on the score sheet more often is exactly the problem lol. That's like saying if this puddle of water didn't have water in it, it wouldn't be a puddle... he doesn't have the skill set to be a first line player

He could be a really good complimentary top 6 winger though. Dustin Penner before he got lazy.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I wanted the Canucks to take him over Virtanen (who I figured would turn out pretty much the way he has) Nylander (who I figured would be a soft 2nd line forward like his Dad) and Ehlers (who I thought was having his tires pumped by playing in the Q). Ritchie, I thought, could be another Perry.

Still wouldn't mind him on the Canucks, though... but I wouldn't trade Virtanen for him.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I believe Virtanen got his raise to 1.25 mill because it was the minimum the Nucks had to offer to retain his rights.

It would seem to me that Ritchie has zero leverage (much like Virtanen).
Anaheim has to offer the same raise (is it 20%) to retain his rights, and he has to sign it if he wants to play in the NHL There is no way, based upon his play at the NHL level thus far, that he’s be in line for a larger raise.
Maybe his agent is trying to get him moved elsewhere where he’d have a chance at a larger role.
Virtanen would have gotten less had it been a 1 year deal. Bump it to 2 years and it saves both sides time.

I don't see Ritchie getting more than what Virtanen got. So, what's the play here.

Regardless of whether he wants to get moved, he needs to sign. Missing camp won't do him any favours. No other team is going to give him anymore money. Hasn't earned it.

If he is hoping to be moved, come to camp and show his stuff and maybe another team will come calling. Pre-season games for everyone else starts in the next couple of days.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
About time Nick Ritchie is a bust, I dont even want to resign em. Murray shouldn't offer him anything and either trade for a better forward this season, or look at our youth as a replacement.

2017-2018 season = 76 games 10 goals....... like yah man you're AHL level with that type of production.
On what planet is 10 goals and 27 points, while getting 12:26 a night and next to no PP time, "AHL Production"

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I do not think skipping camp helps the player. I expect it angers the coach. Some agents think it's leverage building but I don't see it.

If this is a rift, it's poor timing to burn bridges. The market is about to be flooded with waived guys. Ritchie can maybe be replaced?

The only smart move for this guy is to sign with Anaheim. Everybody looks bad, otherwise.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Next to Getzlaf, currently on the roster there is no other big body forward on the team but Ritchie. You think tiny Cogliano and Kase are throwing the body? Ritchie is needed on the team
I agree, the post I quoted was completely nonsensical

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Next to Getzlaf, currently on the roster there is no other big body forward on the team but Ritchie. You think tiny Cogliano and Kase are throwing the body? Ritchie is needed on the team

With what we have available in the AHL? They can throw the body and score goals. Jones in particular. He made his living in Juniors doing just that. Before claiming Ritchie is needed? look at our AHL roster and get a sense of what they can bring to the table please? It would serve you good.

Thanks

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
With what we have available in the AHL? They can throw the body and score goals. Jones in particular. He made his living in Juniors doing just that. Before claiming Ritchie is needed? look at our AHL roster and get a sense of what they can bring to the table please? It would serve you good.

Thanks

Jones has yet to play in the AHL aside from a few playoff games two years ago. Also he's injured (again) at the moment. If you had seen him in junior this season you would hardly suggest we move out anyone to make room for him just yet.

I'll once again point out the irony that you A) Spent all summer suggesting Steel wasn't ready due to lack of pro experience. By your own rules Jones shouldn't be ready either coming straight from Junior.

And B) Suggested we need forward help bad enough to move one of Manson or Montour (and make Sustr a top 4 D lol)

...and now a couple days into camp suddenly we have all these great young forwards knocking the door down and need to move out guys like Ritchie to make room. You've done nothing but spin in circles here.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Ritchie went most of the season having very little impact on any games he played. He's big and occasional physical but I don't think teams fear the Ducks any more or less when he is in the lineup. Seemed like last year he was just content to skate up and down his wing and do nothing. I can't remember seeing his vaunted shot more than 2-3 times all year.

Reactions: Dmang714

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Thanks

Jones didn’t even come close to matching Ritchie’s production in juniors, it’s a huge stretch to say he would better it as a 20 year old in the nhl.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

Thanks

Jones ‘made his living’ by throwing the body around in juniors and Ritchie didn’t? He was known for being a power forward in juniors. He racked up so many minutes in penalties because of his hits and fights in the OHL.

Jones has yet to play a game in the NHL, and your penning him to be on the third line? Lmao, what a joke!

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
He could be a really good complimentary top 6 winger though. Dustin Penner before he got lazy.

Dude you're so far reaching. Comparing Penner to Nick Ritchie??? are you serious?? Penner was amazing when he first made the Ducks. Ritchie can't even hold Penners jock strap.

2006-2007 82 gp 29 goals 16 assists 45 pts total for Penner.

2017-2018 76 gp Ritchie barely hit 10 goals and 27 points.

Even when penner came back???? When he came back to Anaheim?
2013-14 49 GP 13 goals 19 assists 32 pts.

Penner did more half an entire season than ritchie at full season. Do you even watch hockey??? that not even comparable numbers next to Penner. And to say he can be complimentary like Penner??? LOL I dont even think you watch hockey man. Penner was by far not complimentary he put up numbers. Ritchie DOES Not!

NetflixandPhil

May 7, 2016
Dude you're so far reaching. Comparing Penner to Nick Ritchie??? are you serious?? Penner was amazing when he first made the Ducks. Ritchie can't even hold Penners jock strap.

2017-2018 Ritchie barely hit 10 goals and 27 points.

Penner did more half an entire season than ritchie at full season. Do you even watch hockey??? that not even comparable numbers next to Penner. And to say he can be complimentary like Penner??? LOL I dont even think you watch hockey man. Penner was by far not complimentary he put up numbers. Ritchie DOES Not!

He didn't say he was prime Penner he said he could be which is still somewhat realistic.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

2017-2018 76 gp Ritchie barely hit 10 goals and 27 points.

Penner was like 24 then.

Are you prepared to wait until next season to see how Ritchie does then, for a more age appropriate comparison?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

2017-2018 Ritchie barely hit 10 goals and 27 points.

Penner was 24 years old in 06/07. It's not a reach at all to suggest Ritchie will be a similar 40 point complimentary forward in a couple years time. The post said he can be that player, not that he is now. Power forwards don't tend to be finished products by the age of 21.

In fact, Ritchie's age 21 season lines up extremely close with Penner's statistically, except Penner's 28 points in 77 games were in the AHL.

Amazing that the poster who suggested Sustr can be a top 4 D is questioning anyone's hockey knowledge.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
He didn't say he was prime Penner he said he could be which is still somewhat realistic.

Dude there’s no comparison here. Even old Penner in 2013-14 put up more numbers half a season than Ritchie at full season. It’s a foolish comparison and it doesn’t make sense. I’m sorry, but stats don’t lie. And no it’s not somewhat reliastic Penners average speaks for itself before he got injured.

What a poor example of Ritchie to Penner

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Dude there’s no comparison here. Even old Penner in 2013-14 put up more numbers half a season than Ritchie at full season. It’s a foolish comparison and it doesn’t make sense. I’m sorry, but stats don’t lie. And no it’s not somewhat reliastic Penners average speaks for itself before he got injured.

What a poor example of Ritchie to Penner

Ritchie and Penner are pretty good comparisons, actually. Neither was expected to lead their line, and both would benefit from superior linemates.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Wouldn't be shocked at all if Ritchie became a better player than Penner if I'm being honest

Same.

I think Penner may have the better peak, because at his best Penner could be pretty damn effective. He was just so lazy and inconsistent about applying the effort to be effective.

A slightly worse Ritchie, but who brings it consistently, is a better player than Penner, IMO.

Reactions: Vipers31

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Ritchie and Penner are pretty good comparisons, actually. Neither was expected to lead their line, and both would benefit from superior linemates.

They aren’t good comparisons because I’m backing my argument with facts. Outside of 19 games at start of his career with the ducks Penner posted numbers immediately. His stats of 29 goals in 06-07 as a rookie makes Ritchie look like chopped liver.

You’re all back peddling saying age and what not because you have nothing factual to say that Ritchie is comparable. There’s literally nothing factual between ritchie and Penner that are relatable.

Even Penner was on the third line in the beginning of his tenure with the ducks. Like let’s be honest here. That was a horrid example of comparison

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad