News: Nick Ritchie and Anaheim Ducks aren't close on a deal yet.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Ritchie will be fine! He needs time to round out his game. Just looked at a guy called Todd Bertuzzi. Or some other big guys. Nick will likely never be a first liner but how can a thirdliner or a secondliner be called bust? He has been a regular for two seasons on one of the better teams in the league. And he is a good fit next to Kase imho.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Eric Stephens‏Verified account @icemancometh
FollowingFollowing @Icemancometh
More
Ducks GM Bob Murray said there have been lots of conversations regarding unsigned RFA Nick Ritchie but that they're not at all close on a deal. Ritchie is working out with the OHL's Guelph Storm.

About time Nick Ritchie is a bust, I dont even want to resign em. Murray shouldn't offer him anything and either trade for a better forward this season, or look at our youth as a replacement.

2017-2018 season = 76 games 10 goals....... like yah man you're AHL level with that type of production.

What would you want from the Leafs?

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Two ways to look at Ritchie.

1. He's a first rounder so should be scoring 30 goals by now. Dump his lazy butt. He is what he is and will never get better.

2. He played full time on a very successful line last year, adding a physical presence that enabled Kase and Henrique to thrive. He has some evident skills that may translate into improved production as he matures.

@1 Draisaitl, Nylander, Larkin and Ehlers are obviously busts too. None of them hit 30. Not even talking about Reinhart and Bennett. Bust after bust ;-)

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Ritchie will be fine! He needs time to round out his game. Just looked at a guy called Todd Bertuzzi. Or some other big guys. Nick will likely never be a first liner but how can a thirdliner or a secondliner be called bust? He has been a regular for two seasons on one of the better teams in the league. And he is a good fit next to Kase imho.

This is to what I’ve been echoing for a long while. Power Forwards take the longest to develop, lots of Ducks fans on here and on other places like Facebook just want to get rid of the guy. He’s progressing nicely.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
I usually like players of his ilk but he takes way too many dumb penalties. Addition by subtraction with this one imo. Trade him to Carolina so him and Hamilton can be penalty box buddies.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
More
Ducks GM Bob Murray said there have been lots of conversations regarding unsigned RFA Nick Ritchie but that they're not at all close on a deal. Ritchie is working out with the OHL's Guelph Storm.

About time Nick Ritchie is a bust, I dont even want to resign em. Murray shouldn't offer him anything and either trade for a better forward this season, or look at our youth as a replacement.

2017-2018 season = 76 games 10 goals....... like yah man you're AHL level with that type of production.

You started a thread , ranted about nothing, and your reasoning seems to be based on his 10 goals. Since when is goals the only thing that matters on the ice ? Do you watch hockey or just watch the scoring leaders. I would hope you have a more specific Ritchie is a bust in your head somewhere and just forgot to mention . Based only on your OP this is not even a thread. Maybe he stole your girlfriend .

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
I see bust as a relative term. He's a top 10 pick, he should be better than a bottom 6

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I see bust as a relative term. He's a top 10 pick, he should be better than a bottom 6

Not living up to his draft position is a different thing altogether from not being a useful NHL player.

Right now we pretty much have zero idea what type of being offered or what Ritchie's camp is looking for. BM is notorious for lowballing RFA's. It's entirely possibly that Ritchie is only looking for a 1-2 M bridge and it's BM trying to sign him to a multi-year sub 1M contract. We just don't know.

What we do know is that there are literally TONS of bona fide NHL players who score the same or less than Ritchie does. If you want to get bent about "blocking the AHLers from competing for a spot" why not try complaining about the genuine problems on the roster. Like BM signing Gibbons and Rowney - both of which are much worse then Ritchie both as players and scorers. I think your anger/disappointment at him not living up to his draft position is skewing your opinion on what the real problems on this roster are.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
I think hell surprise some people... hes still developing... and changing aspects of his training/game.

The big thing for me, is the dumb penalties... if he could cut those out a bit and find ways on the score sheet more often hell be fine..
The fact that he can't find his way on the score sheet more often is exactly the problem lol. That's like saying if this puddle of water didn't have water in it, it wouldn't be a puddle... he doesn't have the skill set to be a first line player

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The fact that he can't find his way on the score sheet more often is exactly the problem lol. That's like saying if this puddle of water didn't have water in it, it wouldn't be a puddle... he doesn't have the skill set to be a first line player
Doesn't need to be a 1st line player... we have rakell. If he can get 20/20 offense + hit as much as he does... hell be a good fit in our lineup on 2nd or 3rd line.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What is Nicks leaverage at this point? Virtanen got 2 years at $1.25 per. It’s going to be a bridge deal right?

How much can they really be arguing about?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
More

We know you’re notorious for hating Ritchie but give me a break, he’s more physical than Kase, Henrique, and any other bottom six you throw in on the team.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
The Leafs love when teams give up on players too early. Send him over. At worst he beats the **** out of everyone.
My sentiment exactly. We could use a true banger in our bottom 6, even if they arent the smartest of player.

I pitched around the trade deadline last year (if we got Tavares) going for Ritchie from Anaheim and a Kassian from Edmonton. Thought they would make a interesting bash bros type team with Kadri as an energy 3rd line in the playoffs.

What would Anaheim want from the Leafs?

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Nothing that would be worth it for Toronto.

Anaheim would be incredibly stupid to trade a guy away (especially one who was a high pick given Anaheim's usual pick positions) before seeing if his new off-season plan translates onto on ice results.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
My sentiment exactly. We could use a true banger in our bottom 6, even if they arent the smartest of player.

I pitched around the trade deadline last year (if we got Tavares) going for Ritchie from Anaheim and a Kassian from Edmonton. Thought they would make a interesting bash bros type team with Kadri as an energy 3rd line in the playoffs.

Would prob have to be around ritchie+ for kapanen+

That bein said cant see us movin him

Last edited:

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
What is Nicks leaverage at this point? Virtanen got 2 years at $1.25 per. It’s going to be a bridge deal right?

How much can they really be arguing about?
I believe Virtanen got his raise to 1.25 mill because it was the minimum the Nucks had to offer to retain his rights.

It would seem to me that Ritchie has zero leverage (much like Virtanen).
Anaheim has to offer the same raise (is it 20%) to retain his rights, and he has to sign it if he wants to play in the NHL There is no way, based upon his play at the NHL level thus far, that he’s be in line for a larger raise.
Maybe his agent is trying to get him moved elsewhere where he’d have a chance at a larger role.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Also...because it’s a copycat league, maybe Tom Wilson’s play in the playoffs, and the subsequent contract can do a couple of things:
1/ make agents overvalue physical forwards with some skill.
2/ make these physical forwards with some skill more valuable in a trade than they otherwise should be.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ritchie’s agent is throwing up Ritchie’s similarities to Tom Wilson, and basing his asking price around that (obviously not getting anywhere near that, but using it as some type of leverage where he would otherwise have none).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00