News: Nick Ritchie and Anaheim Ducks aren't close on a deal yet.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Eric Stephens‏Verified account @icemancometh
FollowingFollowing @Icemancometh
More
Ducks GM Bob Murray said there have been lots of conversations regarding unsigned RFA Nick Ritchie but that they're not at all close on a deal. Ritchie is working out with the OHL's Guelph Storm.

About time Nick Ritchie is a bust, I dont even want to resign em. Murray shouldn't offer him anything and either trade for a better forward this season, or look at our youth as a replacement.

2017-2018 season = 76 games 10 goals....... like yah man you're AHL level with that type of production.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I too think Nick Ritchie is bad, but it's not like the Ducks have a ton of young forward depth right now do they? Unless Terry, Jones, or Steel are going to be kicking the door down can they really afford to let him walk?

Reactions: 405Exit

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
what an editorialized title. He's an rfa, we're not just going to let him walk. Do you remember how long it took until we re-signed Rakell and Lindholm? Either he signs or we continue to hold his rights and go from there. Also, he has 28 points last season and 27 this season, not amazing or great numbers, but good enough to be an nhl player.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I too think Nick Ritchie is bad, but it's not like the Ducks have a ton of young forward depth right now do they? Unless Terry, Jones, or Steel are going to be kicking the door down can they really afford to let him walk?

Yes and no. They have some decent depth guys from the AHL team that could step in on the 3rd/4th lines such as Roy and Kossila. You are right that the high end forward prospects like Steel and Terry need more development time.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
what an editorialized title. He's an rfa, we're not just going to let him walk. Do you remember how long it took until we re-signed Rakell and Lindholm? Either he signs or we continue to hold his rights and go from there. Also, he has 28 points last season and 27 this season, not amazing or great numbers, but good enough to be an nhl player.

Agreed. Hopefully a Mod can edit the title.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
That "looks like we may walk away"is speculation on your part, or a quote from someone from the organization?

Speculation from my own part. He’s not worth a roster spot with what we have in the AHL. Half the San Diego gulls can prolly put up more than 10 goals a season.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
That draft was so weak... there were a lot of guys in the top 10 i thought were going to be stars or solid players who probably wont turnout

Ritchie - i thought 25 goal heavy PF - looks like a bust, 3rd or 4th line guy.
Bennett - i thought he'd be a 70 point first liner. Looks like middle 6 forward
Dal Colle - i thought he'd be a stud, top line winger - looks like a bust.
Virtanen - 30 goal modern day PF putting guys through the glass - third line banger.

all four of those guys look like busts to various degrees... maybe they'll carve out a career in a bottom 6 role..i dont know.. not what i expected

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

I was including Ritchie in many trade proposals and Ducks fans acted like I was asking for Getzlaf.

What is with Ducks fans. Ritchie is awesome when I propose a trade, but now he sucks because of a contract negotiation?

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
That draft was so weak... there were a lot of guys in the top 10 i thought were going to be stars or solid players who probably wont turnout

Virtanen - 30 goal modern day PF putting guys through the glass - third line banger.

all four of those guys look like busts to various degrees... maybe they'll carve out a career in a bottom 6 role..i dont know.. not what i expected
I don't see how you can lump Virtanen in there. He's been a mainstay in the NHL for the past two? Or three years.

Is he a world beater? No. But he's going to play in the league for a long time.

I really feel that the term bust is now just a buzzword that people use for any kid who doesn't set the league on fire within 1 or 2 years of being drafted. I think it should be reserved for the most highly touted prospects who go top 2 or 3 in a draft. Outside the top five, how many kids are really expected to be superstars in the league?

Reactions: DarthProbert

PuckProspects

Jul 23, 2018
Actually Ducks have too many depth wingers fighting for spots all 3 of the guys above could play, so losing Ritchie isn't going to hurt.I would trade him for a 2nd

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I don't see how you can lump Virtanen in there. He's been a mainstay in the NHL for the past two? Or three years.

Is he a world beater? No. But he's going to play in the league for a long time.

I really feel that the term bust is now just a buzzword that people use for any kid who doesn't set the league on fire within 1 or 2 years of being drafted. I think it should be reserved for the most highly touted prospects who go top 2 or 3 in a draft. Outside the top five, how many kids are really expected to be superstars in the league?
Dol Colle is the only one who could be considered a bust since he's only played 4 nhl games so far and was a top 5 pick. The other guys have all played at least 140 games (Virtanen being that 140), he also has posted the lowest point totals. So I'm not sure why you're making it seem like Virtanen is much better than the players listed. These guys are all high picks who have not become what people expected, but 3 of them have at least carved a spot in the nhl.

Reactions: cadillaccts

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I was including Ritchie in many trade proposals and Ducks fans acted like I was asking for Getzlaf.

What is with Ducks fans. Ritchie is awesome when I propose a trade, but now he sucks because of a contract negotiation?
Most ducks fans are pretty split on him, some think there is still potential/ and he adds a physical element that we don't have a lot of anymore.

Either way, I don't think a leafs fan can really say anything.... and they are pretty notorious for over valuing their own players in trades.... see any of the leaf trade threads. If I recall the threads you made were Manson + Rithcie… which takes away all of our teams grit... and Anaheim has been a physical team since 2003.... so a lot of our fan base is overly obsessed with the physicality of some players.

The thing with Ritchie is his value isn't really worth moving... if we can get him signed on a fair deal... hes def worth keeping in a bottom 6 line role... and who knows maybe he becomes more of what he was thought to be.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Meh they are all still young... and can still become more then they currently are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->