Prospect Info: Nick Paul

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, I trade Paul for Drouin and laugh maniacally doing it.

Yep.

If there is any way we can land Drouin without giving up Chabot, Ceci, White or our 1st rd pick, it probably would have already been done.

Zanny proposal for the day:

Smith, Neil Paul for Drouin.... wait for Tbay to laugh hysterically,

Offer up sweetener of Wikstrand... wait for Tbay to slam the phone down

Forge a confirmation of trade fax, and send to NHL HQ.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Once again I'm the lone voice against trading Paul especially for another skilled one dimensional soft player who has yet to prove anything at the professional level. Ottawa needs all of the things Paul brings, size, grit, face offs, good defensively, some scoring, special teams & hard to play against. I'd do Wikstrand for Drouin one malcontent for another or the best defenceman not playing in the NHL for the best forward not playing in the NHL. lol

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
doesnt Nick Paul and Dzingel playing well make a White for Drouin trade easier to stomach?

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Why the **** would we want Drouin? Tampa doesn’t want him, what does that tell you??

He’s nothing but trouble and hasn’t done s***! :rant:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
don't think it makes a difference.

Well yeah it definitely makes a difference just not in such a sample size. If Paul emerges as a dominant top 6 center or winger then yeah. A little easier to stomach losing white

Just like if wikstrand came over and played like a legit top 4 d. A little easier to let chabot go.

Flip side. If dzingel emerges as a top 6 winger then I guess don't need to get drouin.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Once again I'm the lone voice against trading Paul especially for another skilled one dimensional soft player who has yet to prove anything at the professional level. Ottawa needs all of the things Paul brings, size, grit, face offs, good defensively, some scoring, special teams & hard to play against. I'd do Wikstrand for Drouin one malcontent for another or the best defenceman not playing in the NHL for the best forward not playing in the NHL. lol

Ok, while Paul brings some great attributes that we can all agree the team would love to hold on to, the talent level of the two is drastically different. It's like saying don't trade Hanzel for P.Kane because we need size down the middle.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
He's a third line defensive player (potential), not much more upside than that, right?

Don't know a lot about him.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
don't think it makes a difference.

well, two young natural centers are playing well..along with Lazar fulfilling the 4C position. I guess that doesnt change the fact White is having a great season, but top C prospect for a top LW prospect could be argued with Lazar Diz and Paul as natural centermen

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Would like to see dzingel center a couple good players. He's got really good puck distribution for a guy who's such a speedster.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
doesnt Nick Paul and Dzingel playing well make a White for Drouin trade easier to stomach?

Two LW/C prospects playing well makes a C/RW prospect expendable in a deal for a LW/C? What kind of logic is that?

If anything Dzingel and Paul reminding the Sens brass that they have NHL futures ahead of them should decrease the need to trade for Drouin.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Two LW/C prospects playing well makes a C/RW prospect expendable in a deal for a LW/C? What kind of logic is that?

If anything Dzingel and Paul reminding the Sens brass that they have NHL futures ahead of them should decrease the need to trade for Drouin.

I dont know when White has played RW, and I think its pretty clear Drouin will be a LW at the NHL level. Diz and Paul both play C in bingo, but yes they can play LW like they are now. The logic would be to trade a two-way centerman that is not on your team for a pure offensive winger that can play now, while having two young two-way players that can fulfill the gap losing White might bring (3 including Lazar - all three known for their good defensive abilities). But, with your logic, we should put all of our focus on a RW which im fine with... still hope we target a long term piece however.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
Really like what I've seen from him in his first two games, don't think he has a massive ceiling but he will be an NHLer.

10-15 goals and around 20 assists. Similar to Eller.

PierresGabriels

Jan 13, 2010
Orleans
Really like what I've seen from him in his first two games, don't think he has a massive ceiling but he will be an NHLer.

10-15 goals and around 20 assists. Similar to Eller.

At least 10-15 goals. Solid D game. Shown aptitude at both wing and center. Big skilled guy who is also a good skater.

If you want to win a cup, you need a few foot-soldiers like this. All Paul needs is some good ol fashion hard work and experience.

WaitingInVain

Jul 5, 2012

Not sure I count as a relative newbie, but I'm there with you. Clearly getting chided for it up above.

Two things for me.

The first is that I see Drouin as more of a natural centre than a winger, particularly when considering Murray's preferences. And I believe that Paul is a good back-up plan if Z-bane cannot take the next step and lock down the 1C as he is really the only physically imposing centre prospect in the organization. I see White as Turris' replacement (~2 years away) with Lazar as essentially an ideal third line centre and Pageau/Dzingle vying for the fourth line. Chlapik is about 3 years away and offers a good contingency plan. So, the Sens are strong up the middle other than the lack of a true 1C.

The second is the optics. Trading for Kyle was one thing, and it turned out to be a good trade, but at some point you become risk averse as a GM. Where's the real benefit to this trade? Is Drouin a superstar in the making? I certainly do not believe so. He is one dimensional, and the Sens have placed a great deal of emphasis on having two-way forwards, and the staff has been chided by the fan-base for the methods they have used to drive home that point (ice-time for certain players).

They have good talent in the system without the outside credit deserved. I see no reason in trading some of those players for a hope and a prayer.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
How much more. Paul and a first for drouin is quite fair. For us. Tampa won't like it.

B prospect and a first for an A arguably A+ prospect? Please.

.....nooooo!!

Not until we know exactly where that first round pick will be. I would take anyone in the top 5 of this draft easily over Drouin.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Of course you trade a Paul for Drouin if that is on the table. It's much easier to find a Paul player than a Drouin.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Of course you trade a Paul for Drouin if that is on the table. It's much easier to find a Paul player than a Drouin.

strange, I think Paul is one of the more unique prospects we have ever had. A 20 year old kid who is 6'4 230 and can move...extremely rare imo.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Ok, while Paul brings some great attributes that we can all agree the team would love to hold on to, the talent level of the two is drastically different. It's like saying don't trade Hanzel for P.Kane because we need size down the middle.

What has Drouin done to warrant the return some people have suggested?

I definitely understand StevieY wanting a great return for his #3 overall pick in 2013, but realistically he is going to have to get extremely fortunate to get more than a prospect and/or a mid - late 1st round pick.

Obviously Drouin has shown he has skill, yet it appears his character may be a significant downside with his sense of entitlement and somewhat selfish behavior.

While there is always a GM that likes to believe a change of scenery fixes all, in this case I would strongly suggest buyer beware.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad