Confirmed with Link: Nick Paul signs 2 year deal (1.35M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
This would be a perfect time to offer him around the league - try to get a 1st rounder for him.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Paul will be my new favorite player if he keeps this up, his play right now is night a day. Tons of hustle from him right now.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I personally laughed my ass off when Cuthbert called him Logan Paul - muttered something about his daughter and youtube in a moment of panic - then admitted defeat, and how this was gonna be a hard one to live down :laugh:.

It was Gord Miller but yea, that was cringe. Can't believe he's even that familiar with him. What's worse is I think Jamie said "The Boxer" lool maybe trying to save Miller by making Logan appear more reputable.

Reactions: Samsquanch

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This would be a perfect time to offer him around the league - try to get a 1st rounder for him.
Why would we develop a guy into being worth a first rounder (right now) just to trade him for a first rounder and pick someone who may develop into being worth a first rounder (in 5 years)

(I don’t think we could get a first rounder anyway)

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Why would we develop a guy into being worth a first rounder (right now) just to trade him for a first rounder and pick someone who may develop into being worth a first rounder (in 5 years)

Asset management. His low cap hit and term make him very valuable, much like Barclay Goodrow and Blake Coleman were last year.

If we don't do it now we'll never have an open spot for Angus Crookshank.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Asset management. His low cap hit and term make him very valuable, much like Barclay Goodrow and Blake Coleman were last year.

The way this team as been manage this year. They don't care about "open spot". It all about "earning" your spot.

They won't trade Nick Paul, IMO.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

The first part sounded serious and then the second was sarcasm.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018

Ultimate asset management right here. Hopefully the asset managers on the board provide many likes to this post.

Reactions: Ouroboros

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

The irony in all of this is that you are essentially chirping yourself. You are mocking the posters that want the team to manage the assets better ie not giving away picks for free. However the player you are using as your example was a 4th round pick. To go even further, this player wouldnt even be on the taxi squad right now if it was two years ago. The players you are essentially calling a dime a dozen who other posters want them to manage correctly.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Paul is a success story for the Sens. Homegrown (I'm aware he wasn't drafted by us) who has played his entire pro career with the Sens and been developed. Now at age 25 he's looking like a very nice 3rd or 4th liner. Hope he keeps it up.

This is the kind of thing a low budget team needs to do to be successful. Not toss the player away at age 21-22. More stories like Paul and less like Balcers (even if he never amounts to anything).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Paul is a success story for the Sens. Homegrown (I'm aware he wasn't drafted by us) who has played his entire pro career with the Sens and been developed. Now at age 25 he's looking like a very nice 3rd or 4th liner. Hope he keeps it up.

This is the kind of thing a low budget team needs to do to be successful. Not toss the player away at age 21-22. More stories like Paul and less like Balcers (even if he never amounts to anything).
good post. Obvious a train of though oblivious to some and some of the wrong people

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Same reason we traded Pageau for picks - because money is finite and UFAs generally get paid more than they end up being worth.

Would you rather have Pageau or Dadonov + 1st + 2nd? Because instead of paying Pageau we took his 5M and gave it to Dadonov.

If he keeps it up Paul probably demands at least 3-4M in a year on a medium-term deal. Could pay him or trade him for a nice asset and try to replace him via UFA using the 3-4M we would have otherwise spent on him.

Alternatively, we could try to replace him internally with a guy like Formenton who's on an ELC, and then use his 3-4M to improve the roster elsewhere.

Would get a nice pick out of the deal which, if used correctly, could be a future stud on a 3YR ELC that provides even greater savings - huge for a team on a budget.

This team doesn't have the luxury of being able to re-sign all our mid-level UFAs. Will have to pick and choose. I'd like to see Paul stay a Senator for a long-time, provided it's at the right price, but if we could get a 1st for him, that's hard to say no to as a budget team.

Reactions: Sen sational

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
good post. Obvious a train of though oblivious to some and some of the wrong people

Thank goodness “they” are oblivious to your idea - we don’t need a bunch of undersized skilled forwards clogging up our system.

Paul was a goal scorer who transformed his game into a proper 2 way player. Guys like Balcers are unlikely to make that transition and will only ever played if your entire top 6 is injured.

Thankfully our management can identify the assets that have a chance of effectively slotting in a role to help the org.

Reactions: WaitingInVain

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Same reason we traded Pageau for picks - because money is finite and UFAs generally get paid more than they end up being worth.

Would you rather have Pageau or Dadonov + 1st + 2nd? Because instead of paying Pageau we took his 5M and gave it to Dadonov.

If he keeps it up Paul probably demands at least 3-4M in a year on a medium-term deal. Could pay him or trade him for a nice asset and try to replace him via UFA using the 3-4M we would have otherwise spent on him.

Alternatively, we could try to replace him internally with a guy like Formenton who's on an ELC, and then use his 3-4M to improve the roster elsewhere.

Would get a nice pick out of the deal which, if used correctly, could be a future stud on a 3YR ELC that provides even greater savings - huge for a team on a budget.

This team doesn't have the luxury of being able to re-sign all our mid-level UFAs. Will have to pick and choose. I'd like to see Paul stay a Senator for a long-time, provided it's at the right price, but if we could get a 1st for him, that's hard to say no to as a budget team.

I’’m 100% fine with recycling assets before they cash out and get old/tired/lazy. We can probably keep Paul at least through these two years and than see where his demands and game are.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I’’m 100% fine with recycling assets before they cash out and get old/tired/lazy. We can probably keep Paul at least through these two years and than see where his demands and game are.

We could keep him for sure, but if we're far out of the playoffs it may make sense to deal him early.

NJ got a 1st + a previous 1st in Nolan Foote because not only did Tampa get Coleman for their playoff run, but they also got him for an extra year at 1.8M. He's a solid player, but I don't know if he even would have got the 1st alone if he was a rental.

It may be worth it to keep him an extra year if we don't think he can be replaced internally with a guy like Formenton, but we probably wouldn't get as much value if we dealt him as an upcoming UFA.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Thank goodness “they” are oblivious to your idea - we don’t need a bunch of undersized skilled forwards clogging up our system.

Paul was a goal scorer who transformed his game into a proper 2 way player. Guys like Balcers are unlikely to make that transition and will only ever played if your entire top 6 is injured.

Thankfully our management can identify the assets that have a chance of effectively slotting in a role to help the org.

I can see how you would be against the concept of developing from within the organization and being patient with your prospects. The very thing that has alloewed us to benefit from someone like Nick Paul. Its consistent

Reactions: Xspyrit and bert

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Paul probably isn’t commanding 4 million a year.

but yeah I suppose if he asks for a massive contract and there are people lining up to give us first round picks. I would also trade him

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Paul probably isn’t commanding 4 million a year.

but yeah I suppose if he asks for a massive contract and there are people lining up to give us first round picks. I would also trade him

If he puts up similar production to Connor Brown and Chris Tierney, who each got around 3.5M as RFAs, I don't think there's any question he could get around 4M as an upcoming UFA with much more bargaining power.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I can see how you would be against the concept of developing from within the organization and being patient with your prospects. The very thing that has alloewed us to benefit from someone like Nick Paul. Its consistent

Well you need a good eye to separate the NHL players from the rest of the players you add each year. You can’t keep them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad