Confirmed with Link: Nick Paul signs 2 year deal (1.35M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
I said it before. He's a glue guy. Someone who blocks shots, beleives in this team (as he could have effed off to another team, demanded a trade, or gone overseas) worked through the cycles of ups and downs. And does everything the right way. He's a perfect bottom six player. But anything north of 3M you let him walk.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
The chronic back pain this guy is going to have from carrying around such a huge dong, we need to pay this man and set him up for retirement.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Just an average 3rd line player at best. Averaging 1 good game in every 5 or so games is nothing to write home about

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Just an average 3rd line player at best. Averaging 1 good game in every 5 or so games is nothing to write home about

Every game he has a good game.

He's a bottom 6 player, I don't know what you expect if this isn't good enough. He controls the play and is great defensively on the PK. He's one of our most conditioned players. He plays hard.

Of course he doesn't score every game, because he's a bottom 6 guy.

Reactions: aragorn

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Every game he has a good game.

He's a bottom 6 player, I don't know what you expect if this isn't good enough. He controls the play and is great defensively ok the PK.

I personally don't expect anything from me. Just pointing out that he goes invisible for a good stretch of games, especially for his size

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I personally don't expect anything from me. Just pointing out that he goes invisible for a good stretch of games, especially for his size

I don't know man I feel like we aren't watching the same games. He and Connor Brown are probably the two guys who go all out every shift.

Methot/Wally were just talking about this on their pod. You win with guys like Paul in your bottom 6.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I don't know man I feel like we aren't watching the same games. He and Connor Brown are probably the two guys who go all out every shift.

Methot/Wally were just talking about this on their pod. You win with guys like Paul in your bottom 6.

There is no comparison between Connor Brown and Paul. Paul started off good, but he has been less effective for a while now.

I like him on our PK, and could be a main-stay on our 4th line. Frankly he doesn't even have a spot on our 3rd line with our current roster. He is definitely behind Tkachuk, Stutzle and Formenton on the left side and if you move him to the right side he then again fall all the way behind Batherson, Brown and Dadonov.

Reactions: DrEasy

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I am curious to see what he brings in the playoffs.

Would his intensity increase and he would start hitting to hurt? He is good on the forecheck and brings a lot to the team but I would hope we can see him really start to dominate physically when the time comes.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
There is no comparison between Connor Brown and Paul. Paul started off good, but he has been less effective for a while now.

I like him on our PK, and could be a main-stay on our 4th line. Frankly he doesn't even have a spot on our 3rd line with our current roster. He is definitely behind Tkachuk, Stutzle and Formenton on the left side and if you move him to the right side he then again fall all the way behind Batherson, Brown and Dadonov.

There was no comparison drawn, just a statement that both come to play almost every game.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Paul is a great bottom 6 player. He can skate, shoot, kill penalties and he's a big guy who actually uses his size to help the team. Doesn't make stupid plays and can execute passes and put the puck in the net when he gets chances. He definitely seems to lack the creativity to be more than a 3rd liner but he plays his role very well.

Give him 3 or 4 years at $2.2-2.6 M.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I really have no idea what Pauls party is gonna ask for. Gonna be interesting. Anything under 3 and I would go long term

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I really have no idea what Pauls party is gonna ask for. Gonna be interesting. Anything under 3 and I would go long term
If I'm Ottawa, I sign him for 2.5 mil for 3-4 years, and then offload him when he hits 30 and is about to a) make more money, and b) functionally decline.

Realistically, he's gonna ask for 1-3 years, never more. Connor Brown is the perfect example of a contract progression. Signed 3 years at 2.1 mil at 23 years old, then 3 years at 3.5 mil at 26, and is going to be getting a significant pay bump at 29 years old in his "prime" thanks both his development hitting a new level but also to a breaking out team. Brown is going to get 4.5+ mil for 5 years from someone, book it.

If I'm Paul, I sign a 2 mil x 2 years contract, and hit my prime with the young developing corp that's gonna maximize my point production and get me that 4+ million contract by carrying my points to the 35+ mark.

As a fan, I'm happy with either scenario, but I see the team rolling more in 3-4 years for the Cup, so would prefer him on the cheap for 4 years and lose his cap hit when those ELCs are up for renegotiation.

Last edited:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Zach Hyman's deal is a good comparable (granted Paul is a bit older). Nothing more then $2.5, but get him here or as long as he'll be in his prime. Any long term deal shouldn't keep him past 32 imo

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
I said it before. He's a glue guy. Someone who blocks shots, beleives in this team (as he could have effed off to another team, demanded a trade, or gone overseas) worked through the cycles of ups and downs. And does everything the right way. He's a perfect bottom six player. But anything north of 3M you let him walk.
Agreed with that, he's always sticking up for teammates too. Got right in there last night when Formenton and Edmundson were going at it. He's a leader beyond his years.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I'd take Paul over Dadonov any day, Paul does a lot more to help this team win than Dadonov does, he's the invisible one. They both have 20 pts & Dadonov is the one who has gotten all of the PP time & we never see him on the PK. I assume that if a player isn't scoring you don't give them any credit for their defensive play?

Ottawa has one of the best PKs in the NHL thanks in large part to Paul & he's not behind Formenton just yet, maybe next yr. Paul is good at faceoffs, good on the PK, good defensive forward, good fighter & good 5 on 5 who can play forward or centre. There are half a dozen guys on this roster I would get rid of before Paul.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Paul does not score as much as Lowry so I expect a little bit less than the U$3.25 he got. So $2.5 to $3M for 3 years seems about right to me. I think he is very good at 5-5, plays the PK well, is great for puck possession along the boards, fights well. Strong on face-offs. We need his size.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

I like Paul, yet I agree with this.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Paul does not score as much as Lowry so I expect a little bit less than the U$3.25 he got. So $2.5 to $3M for 3 years seems about right to me. I think he is very good at 5-5, plays the PK well, is great for puck possession along the boards, fights well. Strong on face-offs. We need his size.
After seeing what happened to the NYR one would think that people would appreciate the size & toughness at forward on this team. Now they need to add a little more on defence over the summer so that it is a little more deterred from happening to the Sens.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
After seeing what happened to the NYR one would think that people would appreciate the size & toughness at forward on this team. Now they need to add a little more on defence over the summer so that it is a little more deterred from happening to the Sens.

And an enforcer policeman on the 4th line.

I still cannot understand GM Dorion's signing of Haley. :)

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Zach Hyman's deal is a good comparable (granted Paul is a bit older). Nothing more then $2.5, but get him here or as long as he'll be in his prime. Any long term deal shouldn't keep him past 32 imo
Hyman is a much better player than Nick Paul and that is not meant as an insult to Paul. Hyman makes every line he plays on better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad