Player Discussion Nick Paul (LW)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think eventually Paul should get pushed down the lineup, let's not forget that he will be 27 at the end of his contract & he would really improve a 4th line for this team & could eventually replace & upgrade what Watson brings. Formenton is looking like he could be an excellent 3rd line LW but might need to wait until Dadonov is moved out. Stutzle & Tkachuk have the top two LW spots taken & they could move Paul to centre too eventually since he is pretty good at faceoffs & should only get better on a 4th line to replace Tierny.

Norris has the top centre spot in hand so far & either L. Brown or Pinto should end up with the 2nd line centre spot. You can just see that Pinto is going to be a player always seems like he knows where to be & hopefully he starts putting them in soon. If any of the other prospects show signs of being good players like Jarventie for example that would push Formenton down a line & improve the 4th line. I wish L. Brown could turn into a top six centre which would move Pinto to RW & could create a dynamic 2nd line.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - L. Brown - Pinto
Dadonov - White- C. Brown
Formenton - Paul - Watson/Sokolov

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think eventually Paul should get pushed down the lineup, let's not forget that he will be 27 at the end of his contract & he would really improve a 4th line for this team & could eventually replace & upgrade what Watson brings. Formenton is looking like he could be an excellent 3rd line LW but might need to wait until Dadonov is moved out. Stutzle & Tkachuk have the top two LW spots taken & they could move Paul to centre too eventually since he is pretty good at faceoffs & should only get better on a 4th line to replace Tierny.

Norris has the top centre spot in hand so far & either L. Brown or Pinto should end up with the 2nd line centre spot. You can just see that Pinto is going to be a player always seems like he knows where to be & hopefully he starts putting them in soon. If any of the other prospects show signs of being good players like Jarventie for example that would push Formenton down a line & improve the 4th line. I wish L. Brown could turn into a top six centre which would move Pinto to RW & could create a dynamic 2nd line.

Pinto is really strong in the middle of the ice - I think it’s hard to push him to RW and give the middle to Brown/White.

Why not push White to RW?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Pinto is really strong in the middle of the ice - I think it’s hard to push him to RW and give the middle to Brown/White.

Why not push White to RW?
I'm kind of like you in that regard, I don't really see White as a long term future player on this team any more at C or RW, I think they have better options at both positions. He had an okay yr, but he really isn't able to sustain any kind of offensive pressure & ends up giving the puck away too often. I think they have a lot of options for RW & it's at centre where they have less good depth.

He's okay defensively, not very good at draws & not as good as Tierny offensively & Tierny is a guy we want to get rid of. I think Batherson, C. Brown, probably Dadonov & Watson will be on RW for a while still, Sokolov could push Dadonov within a yr or so. At centre it will likely come down to what happens with L. Brown & listening to the media they seem to have pretty much shipped him out already. That probably gives White at least another yr, but if he doesn't improve next season I think the talk will start to ship him out, I agree with you he needs to get stronger. I also don't think he fits on a 4th line, IMO he will stay at centre until someone like Greig can take that job. Paul could take it now if they decided to move him to centre, but I'm not sure they will yet.

Reactions: Cosmix and Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I'm kind of like you in that regard, I don't really see White as a long term future player on this team any more at C or RW, I think they have better options at both positions. He had an okay yr, but he really isn't able to sustain any kind of offensive pressure & ends up giving the puck away too often. I think they have a lot of options for RW & it's at centre where they have less good depth.

He's okay defensively, not very good at draws & not as good as Tierny offensively & Tierny is a guy we want to get rid of. I think Batherson, C. Brown, probably Dadonov & Watson will be on RW for a while still, Sokolov could push Dadonov within a yr or so. At centre it will likely come down to what happens with L. Brown & listening to the media they seem to have pretty much shipped him out already. That probably gives White at least another yr, but if he doesn't improve next season I think the talk will start to ship him out, I agree with you he needs to get stronger. I also don't think he fits on a 4th line, IMO he will stay at centre until someone like Greig can take that job. Paul could take it now if they decided to move him to centre, but I'm not sure they will yet.

I don’t even mind him on the 4th line ... his game suits that playing with Paul and Watson types.

Reactions: aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Formenton seems to be playing a safe secure game and not body-checking and aggravating the opponents as much as I expected. I wanted to see him play more aggressively but he has been passive. The coaching staff must have coached him out of that. Not a good thing as he could be an excellent complement to Brady. I hope the coaching staff don't coach Grieg out of his truculence.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Formenton seems to be playing a safe secure game and not body-checking and aggravating the opponents as much as I expected. I wanted to see him play more aggressively but he has been passive. The coaching staff must have coached him out of that. Not a good thing as he could be an excellent complement to Brady. I hope the coaching staff don't coach Grieg out of his truculence.
Agreed, I'm not sure the coaching staff has talked Formenton out of playing more aggressively, but as a young guy it's more likely he's over thinking his assignments & that's the case with a lot of young guys not wanting to miss assignments because that gets you on the bench quickly. I think he is going to be a great player to watch next yr pushing defences back with his speed & they will be less confident to jump up in the play at the offensive end when he's on the ice to not get beat. Once he adds about 20 lbs of muscle to his frame he could be a much more truculent player.

Regarding Greig it will be interesting to see how he does with Belleville, he seems like another Parker Kelly type of player, about the same size with a little more offensive ability. In the AHL or the NHL IMO he will need to be a little more careful since there are a lot bigger older players who will be quick to drop the gloves if he does something they don't like. Greig will also need to get stronger if he wants to play a that style because eventually someone will want to challenge him.

Reactions: Yak and Cosmix

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Need someone to come in and take 27 from Logan now. Just bully him and take every new number he grabs.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Paul wearing 21 with Canada = Gold
Paul wearing 21 with the Sens = Stanley Cup.

We ready.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Nick Paul is slowly being cooked into a wonderful player. He is a responsible defensive player, the next step is to become a 2-way force with a bit more offence that is untapped. DJ can hopefully give him some more attacking responsibilities, he is a big body in front of the net on PP2. I see him as a core member, alongside gold medal linemate Connor Alfie Brown, as key veterans on this team.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I hope Logan doesnt take 22, for me that is a for a very particular role on the Sens. It would look weird seeing him in it. Paul with 21 will look good for a key player. Soks your number awaits.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I hope Logan doesnt take 22, for me that is a for a very particular role on the Sens. It would look weird seeing him in it. Paul with 21 will look good for a key player. Soks your number awaits.

zaitsev.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad