Player Discussion Nick Paul (LW)

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
His patience is under rated as are his hands - he makes a ton of nice passes just by protecting the puck long enough for a play to open up.

If I am nitpicking I would love for him to find a way to get open for his shot - dude should be rifling that laser wrister multiple times a game and making teams think about it, would give him a bit more lanes to pass too.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Nick Paul is the most improved player on this roster & the best defensive forward on this roster & could soon be the best faceoff guy on this roster. He's big, he's strong, he's fast & he has some excellent puck skills & holds possession & makes some very nice plays. I would love to see them move him to centre Stutzle & Batherson & call up Formenton to play with White & Dadonov.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I'm seriously wondering if he should transition to center. Wasn't he drafted as a center??

Reactions: aragorn

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Best possession player and puck hound dog on the roster. These type of players win you playoff games and championships.

We been saying this about a lot of our players lately. He has been great in his own right, but lets not get too ahead of ourselves. I would feel really confident having a player like him on our 3rd line, not in top 6 though.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He's got to be one of the strongest players in the league. Borderline impossible to knock him off the puck.

I was going to ask the same thing. Is there a stronger player out there? Chara I guess, freak of nature

Having guys like Paul, White, Connor Brown, Formenton and even Watson in the bottom 6 is how you become a strong team.

Last edited:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
We been saying this about a lot of our players lately. He has been great in his own right, but lets not get too ahead of ourselves. I would feel really confident having a player like him on our 3rd line, not in top 6 though.

Never said he's top 6. Unless he finds some magical scoring touch he's a bottom 6 player. But a damn good one.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Another great game by Paul. Working hard and making the right plays. Starting to mix in some really high skill moves, you can see he is confident and starting to realize he can dominate with his size, speed, strength, and puck control.

Had a between the legs dangle in the d zone to get a breakout going in the 3rd. Definitely feeling it. Would love to see him between Batherson and Stützle, but the line with White and Dadonov is really clicking right now.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
What impresses me the most about him, other than his takeaways, is how patient he is with the puck. He doesn't mind holding on to the puck a second or two longer to make the right pass or play instead of just chucking the puck away like a lot of the guys on our roster do.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
What impresses me the most about him, other than his takeaways, is how patient he is with the puck. He doesn't mind holding on to the puck a second or two longer to make the right pass or play instead of just chucking the puck away like a lot of the guys on our roster do.

Has the strength and reach, along with good edges to buy that time, and he is gaining confidence to hold the puck more and make plays.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I would like to give Paul an opportunity to play with more highly skilled players in the top 6 as I think he would complement them well with his skill set. I think he can be more than a bottom 6 player.

Reactions: h2

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
On thinking about this some more I would like to have him play C with Tkachuk and Stutzle. :)

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Nick Paul before the puck drops.
tenor.gif

Nick Paul when the game starts.
tenor.gif

Nick Paul on his first shift.
God%2Bof%2BWar%2B3.gif

Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm seriously wondering if he should transition to center. Wasn't he drafted as a center??

Yes, he played centre for the North Bay Battalion. I always thought Nick Paul would make a perfect 4th line centre, but with Mark Kastelic playing well in his first yr in Belleville they would make 2/3rds of a decent 4th line. Both are very good at faceoffs too & one is a right shot while the other a left shot. Paul would also be the perfect replacement for White should he get injured or flounder as a 3rd line centre. They are accumulating more & more options with a number of these players which can only help this team grow. Paul could be the oldest guy on the team soon.

Stutzle - L. Brown - Batherson
Tkachuk - Norris - Pinto
Formenton - White - ??? (Guenther 2021 draft ???)
Paul - Kastelic - Sokolov/Jarventie

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - JBD
Kleven - ??? (Schmidt (2021 draft)

??? - ??? (Daccord/Gustavsson)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad