Player Discussion Nick Paul (LW)

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Nick Paul seems like a guy that could be a really great glue guy. I hope we keep him. I just realized too that our first every entry draft pick has brought us 2 captains and 2 alternate captains.

Reactions: DrEasy

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He's staying here longterm after that quote he had on being pending UFA.

He's probably best board grinder in NHL, lol. But he'll play big role in our 4th/3rd line for years to come.

I think everyone's gonna be shocked at how reasonable(or even cheap) the contract will be; he isn't that huge on the money.

He'll be our Daniel Paille.

2.25 x 5 years

Reactions: GCK and Cosmix

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I think he is going to have a decent amount of interest come free agency. Not putting up a lot of points but there are going to be a lot of teams wanting him on their 3rd line. He's also a guy thats made very little in his career so far. Definitely looking at 3 mill+ with some term IMO.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The thing with him is that he’s a great defensive forward and solid forechecker, and then he’ll get all crazy and decide to score a few sweet goals. He has periodic 20 goal potential the way most 4th line guys have 10 goal potential.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The thing with him is that he’s a great defensive forward and solid forechecker, and then he’ll get all crazy and decide to score a few sweet goals. He has periodic 20 goal potential the way most 4th line guys have 10 goal potential.
Paul is another guy who plays a heavy possession game & along wiith Tkachuk, Pinto, Sokolov & Watson are all going to tire out other teams trying to fight these big guys for loose pucks.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Please keep Paul. He has everything every team wants in the bottom six. with the ability to play 3rd wheel on a top six line when there are injuries. I hope we can get this done at a good price for both parties.

I've been in this guy's corner for years now and seeing him turn into the player he is now has been so satisfying.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Not too much though. Under 3 x 3 or 4 years please, otherwise it's just not worth it. 2.75 x 3 would be ideal.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Not too much though. Under 3 x 3 or 4 years please, otherwise it's just not worth it. 2.75 x 3 would be ideal.

Nothing wrong with $2.5-$3.0 x 5 … if he’s giving up UFA we have to offer something for his loyalty … it may be term. His value to the team is equal to the top 6 guys. He’s first over the boards in OT on the way to a win.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I hope they find a way of signing Paul and hoping that his contract is reasonable. He's a very versatile player that plays the PK and that can play many positions and roles with the team. I think he is a glue and character guy for the team as well, and he's a player that is so easy to get behind and cheer for.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
2M X 7 years.

We give term, he gives dollars.
Not exactly how that works when he could potentially get $14M over 4 years on the open market.

Don't think I want him locked in to a 7 year contract either...that's a long time for a player like him and at his age (and I like him a lot).

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Nothing wrong with $2.5-$3.0 x 5 … if he’s giving up UFA we have to offer something for his loyalty … it may be term. His value to the team is equal to the top 6 guys. He’s first over the boards in OT on the way to a win.
He was on in OT because we don't have any players left and DJ wanted him to match up against McDavid and Dre.

He was excellent tracking in D zone but I doubt he sees the ice in OT if we had Norris, Batherson and Brown in the lineup. Once add Greig there is another guy who plays OT ahead of him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Good to see Paul play so well, it wasn't easy defending him in the early yrs but he too has finally arrived. He shadowed McDavid often last night & they should use him against most of the scoring centres in this league including Mathews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad