Rumor: Nick Kypreos: “We know that the Habs are actively shopping Max Pacioretty” [Mod Warning #897]

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Bergevin seems to have an easier time evaluating lesser players than elite ones. It's quite clear why, I think.

Conversely and inexplicably, he's absolutely terrible at correctly evaluating defensemen, regardless of their skill level. He loves the awful ones and jettisons the upper echelon ones.

I guess it's true that 'like attracts like'.

After the Weber/Subban and Drouin/Sergachev trades, I’m not sure he knows what he’s doing at all.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
After the Weber/Subban and Drouin/Sergachev trades, I’m not sure he knows what he’s doing at all.

Those are certainly among his worst moves to date. The first one isn't in doubt. The Sergachev trade may yet even out a bit, but it'll never be a win IMO.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm thinking Rangers will be calling Habs if they didn't already. I don't know if it's mentioned, but after Kreider was sidelined due to blood clots, it was reported today that he will undergo surgery for his ribs and he will be out indefinitely. I smell him being placed on LTIR, which would make room for Max.

Yeah, Kreider was having a rib removed.

As doctors performed the operation, the rib suddenly snapped and went accidentally-on purpose skates first into the head surgeon. :sarcasm:

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
Bergevin seems to have an easier time evaluating lesser players than elite ones. It's quite clear why, I think.

Conversely and inexplicably, he's absolutely terrible at correctly evaluating defensemen, regardless of their skill level. He loves the awful ones and jettisons the upper echelon ones.

I guess it's true that 'like attracts like'.

His track record with depth players looks better because he's acquired a tonne of them and a stopped clock is right twice a day. Murray, Parros, Ott, Martinsen were all depth disasters that still managed to hurt the team despite being depth guys and then you have actual depth guys like Briere and Alzner who he thought were important players.

He's bad at evaluating talent from top to bottom

Reactions: groovejuice and WG

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
His track record with depth players looks better because he's acquired a tonne of them and a stopped clock is right twice a day. Murray, Parros, Ott, Martinsen were all depth disasters that still managed to hurt the team despite being depth guys and then you have actual depth guys like Briere and Alzner who he thought were important players.

He's bad at evaluating talent from top to bottom
Wait, what was wrong with Ott?

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Greg Pateryn is looking awfully good right now. Worst centre line in the NHL, and probably the worse D, especially with Weber out.
Personally I never understood to need to get rid of Pateryn. He was mobile with a decent shot and his defensive game was no-frills. More than good enough for the 3rd pairing.

Reactions: ottawa

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Personally I never understood to need to get rid of Pateryn. He was mobile with a decent shot and his defensive game was no-frills. More than good enough for the 3rd pairing.

Benn was a major improvement over Pateryn and has played significantly better than Pateryn since coming over. This isn’t even close. 12 points and 6 goals vs. 7 points and 1 goal not to mention he’s been much more versatile and depended on than Pateryn was or has been. In a trade, who do you think would fetch more at this point?

Not sure why it’s becoming a thing other than people needing to find something, anything to slam Bergevin even if it’s not based in facts. Don’t forget his girlfriend also slammed French people just before they trade him.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
[MOD]

It's funny, I remember back when Pacioretty said he would rather be in the AHL than the NHL if he wasn't going to be used right in the NHL. And that's what happened, and I had respect for him doing it and respect for the team to not blackball him for it. And when he came up eventually, Martin used him like a top six forward and there was a level of respect between them. That certainly went out the window when Martin was fired because Cammalleri tried calling the team out and criticizing Cunnyworth and Gauthier made sure he didn't survive. Since then, it's their way or the highway. It's so dumb.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
Benn was a major improvement over Pateryn and has played significantly better than Pateryn since coming over. This isn’t even close. 12 points and 6 goals vs. 7 points and 1 goal not to mention he’s been much more versatile and depended on than Pateryn was or has been. In a trade, who do you think would fetch more at this point?

Not sure why it’s becoming a thing other than people needing to find something, anything to slam Bergevin even if it’s not based in facts. Don’t forget his girlfriend also slammed French people just before they trade him.

Yeah, not really

Statistically Speaking: Pateryn thriving in shutdown role - Article - TSN
Dallas Stars Have Won Another Trade Through Greg Pateryn’s Play

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Nash is probably gone this summer and Pacioretty would be an affordable replacement.

Rangers make a lot of sense. They drafted two centres in 2017 in Andersson and Chytil. One of them would have to come back along with a first rounder. Maybe toss John Gilmour in for good measure.

Ryan Graves would make a lot of sense. Pretty close to NHL ready. Good production in the AHL and will have to go through waivers starting next year. He's very likely a defender that the Rangers will be looking to move should they decide to buy at the deadline. With their left side pretty locked down for the foreseeable future, I could see Graves being dangled.

And yet Galchenyuk did when given the opportunity. Why do so many conveniently forget or ignore this?

Until he didn't which people also seem to conveniently forget.

The entire team started hot then cooled dramatially. Galchenyuk returning from Injury was supposed to be the shot in the arm that offense needed, after all he was one of the leauges elite scorers when he went down. And it just didn't happen. We blamed the injury, we blamed the coach, we blamed Desharnais... Maybe we just need to start accepting what Galchenyuk is, an elite offensive player who thrives on the powerplay.

Don't ignore that Galchenyuk was on a line with two guys who absolutely competed every night in Radulov and Patches. 2 guys that played a solid 200 foot game and had elite offensive skills. There is a long list of players who have centered top lines and produced. Dominic Moore, David Desharnais, Tyler Bozak. None of them are 1C's.

Should Galchenyuk have been given an opportunity to start the year at center? Probably. Has Galchenyuk's development into a center been hampered or completely ruined by this management team? More than probably. But you don't compound past mistakes with more mistakes. If you think he's past the point of being a center allow him to do what he's good at, being a 2nd line offensive first winger that's the go to guy on the powerplay.

That said... If I had any say at all, I would move Plekanec ASAP. Run Drouin - Galchenyuk - Danault down the middle and really see how our centers stack up against each other. The season is lost, give Galchenyuk an opportunity to prove me wrong. That's it's not too late. But I still have my doubts that at this point in his career he can transition to center. He's been on the wing too long.

Pateryn just wasn't good enough for the team to look past his Wife's ridiculous tweets. It's unfortunate.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Bruins fan here in peace.I would be kind of afraid to let Bergervin do any more deals.From outside looking in it appears he misjudged your backend trading away 2 mobile guys in Subban and Sergachev.Weber to me was a piece you add for final run to Cup not trade away younger guy pretty well even to him in talent or better but no worse.Drouin was a guy with 29 goals in over 160 games at NHL level.Cannot see trading a young franchise defence prospect like he did for him. I think you guys need to fire your GM.Again just my opinion but letting him trade Pacioretty should scare you.
Well said.

I would rather have you (a Bruins fan no less) managing this team than MB.

Makes sense to the masses .... but not owner. Unfortunately.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I know he does not.

6 years of watching him work.

I dont need another minute of evaluating this wanna be.

btw....with Weber out is MB now the best D on his team?

Reactions: Deluded Puck

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Jordie Benn looked okay for like two weeks in 16-17 and people assumed the Habs got a top four defenceman because of it. It was so bewildering. He wasn't that good but people were going crazy for him and acting like Bergevin pulled the heist of the century. Then Benn sucked in the playoffs but still got protected in the expansion draft. Bergevin talked about him playing the first pair with Weber. This season he's been an absolute disaster on the blueline. I still don't know what anyone sees in him. He's embarrassing.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Jordie Benn looked okay for like two weeks in 16-17 and people assumed the Habs got a top four defenceman because of it. It was so bewildering. He wasn't that good but people were going crazy for him and acting like Bergevin pulled the heist of the century. Then Benn sucked in the playoffs but still got protected in the expansion draft. Bergevin talked about him playing the first pair with Weber. This season he's been an absolute disaster on the blueline. I still don't know what anyone sees in him. He's embarrassing.

I'm not embarrassed for Benn, I'm embarrassed for everybody who took his two weeks of good play seriously.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Until he didn't which people also seem to conveniently forget.

The entire team started hot then cooled dramatially. Galchenyuk returning from Injury was supposed to be the shot in the arm that offense needed, after all he was one of the leauges elite scorers when he went down. And it just didn't happen. We blamed the injury, we blamed the coach, we blamed Desharnais... Maybe we just need to start accepting what Galchenyuk is, an elite offensive player who thrives on the powerplay.

He was given what, a two games leash after being back earlier than expected from injury? The organization, for whatever reason, has made up their mind that he isn't a center, and they won't even consider the possibility that they're wrong. In spite of the fact Galchenyuk has, literally, always produced at a significantly higher clip when used as a center.

But sure. Not producing right away after coming back from a serious injury is all that we need to draw conclusions here. Forget the 23 points in 24 games, or whatever it was, that he had before getting injured. That's irrelevant...

Reactions: groovejuice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad