Friedman: Nick Jensen (WSH) likely available. Capitals interested in Mike Green (DET)

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Hiding in my bunker before Caps fans kill me but...

Green + Washington's 2nd to Washington for Alexeyev.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Green for Jensen one for one who says no

Tough call, Jensen fit in pretty well and had decent numbers for us, doesn't seem to fit as well with Washington. I'd consider it as a plan B if we can't get a decent draft pick. Would rather gain an asset than lose Greener for nothin in the offseason.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Probably Steve Yzerman.

While the Wings are going to likely need some Dmen next season, Yzerman would probably rather get a draft pick or prospect for Green and wait to simply get a Dman of Jensen's ilk on the UFA market probably for one year less term to boot.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Wings claim Goloubef. Seems like that might be a pre-cursor for something. I’m in on the Green (retained) for Jensen plus a middle prospect/pick idea. Pinho? Vanacek? AJF?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Hiding in my bunker before Caps fans kill me but...

Green + Washington's 2nd to Washington for Alexeyev.
Wow, this is horrible, doesn’t even address the Jensen part of the OP, and is again horrible. Kill it with fire. How about Green + Wsh 2nd for Col 2nd or something like that? That’s much closer to value. (This is as much a joke as anything around Green for Alexeyev).

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Based on the rumor of Washington actually being interested in Green, it's Detroit rather easily.

I liked Jensen, but Detroit's right side already has Hronek and Lindstrom. Add in that Seider will get his 9 games this year and could very possibly be full time next year. Another RHD is just not necessary. Especially not for $2M+ for the next three years.

The cap hit isn't that big of an issue on its' own, but you've gotta figure Detroit will be eating Abdelkader's $4.25M during that time, and could also be paying a buyout on Nielsen. That's $7 - $10M tied up in dead space for the next 3 years.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Wings claim Goloubef. Seems like that might be a pre-cursor for something. I’m in on the Green (retained) for Jensen plus a middle prospect/pick idea. Pinho? Vanacek? AJF?
Don’t honestly see McLellan adding Vanecek or AJF here. Vanecek might actually HAVE to be the Backup next season.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Wow, this is horrible, doesn’t even address the Jensen part of the OP, and is again horrible. Kill it with fire. How about Green + Wsh 2nd for Col 2nd or something like that? That’s much closer to value. (This is as much a joke as anything around Green for Alexeyev).

If the sticking point to Green to Washington is Jensen going back, then the deal probably isn't happening anyways.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
This guy would honestly be a great fit for the Senators. Money isn't an issue cause the team has to spend just to hit the floor and 3 years of term isn't too bad considering all they've got for RHD depth at the moment is Zaitsev and Jaros (some rookies coming through the pipeline too, but likely 2+ years away from taking a roster spot).

I've suggested this on Caps' board a few times. Jensen will play 18-20 serviceable minutes a night while Ottawa is going through the rebuild. Caps also have Travis Boyd who I think would be a great fit for the Sens. He has no place on the Caps but play him top-6 minutes with PP time and he'll put up points and make plays. More than good enough for a transition period.

Originally I wanted to swap Jensen and Boyd for Demelo and Namestnikov. Probably a 3rd rounder going to the Sens as well. Didn't happen but it seemed sensible to me.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Based on the rumor of Washington actually being interested in Green, it's Detroit rather easily.

I liked Jensen, but Detroit's right side already has Hronek and Lindstrom. Add in that Seider will get his 9 games this year and could very possibly be full time next year. Another RHD is just not necessary. Especially not for $2M+ for the next three years.

The cap hit isn't that big of an issue on its' own, but you've gotta figure Detroit will be eating Abdelkader's $4.25M during that time, and could also be paying a buyout on Nielsen. That's $7 - $10M tied up in dead space for the next 3 years.

That Freidman rumor, if you listen to it/read it, is totally unsourced. He thinks the Caps want to move Jensen and he thinks that the Wings might take him back and thinks that Green might be something the Caps would want. Green isn't any better than Jensen at this point in his career. This is not a happening thing

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I've suggested this on Caps' board a few times. Jensen will play 18-20 serviceable minutes a night while Ottawa is going through the rebuild. Caps also have Travis Boyd who I think would be a great fit for the Sens. He has no place on the Caps but play him top-6 minutes with PP time and he'll put up points and make plays. More than good enough for a transition period.

Originally I wanted to swap Jensen and Boyd for Demelo and Namestnikov. Probably a 3rd rounder going to the Sens as well. Didn't happen but it seemed sensible to me.
I’ve actually loved Boyd’s game and I think the Caps have too this season. If he’s the tax to move Jensen, Jensen likely stays.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

The Wings have absolutely zero goalie prospects anywhere near ready to make an impact in the NHL and they'll need a back up next year, so Vanacek is kind of intriguing. Just not sure if he moves the needle for Yzerman in a trade for Green.

Goloubef probably negates the need to get a dman back in a deadline trade for Green or Daley, so they may not be interested in taking on Jensen at this point.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
If you want anything near Alexeyev value for anything around Green it was never going to happen anyway.

Teams make dumb trades when they're trying to contend all the time. If that weren't the case, you'd still have Filip Forsberg.

That's not really an insult by the way, it just came to mind. Detroit has plenty. Like Jarnkrok for Legwand. Or a 1st (Mike Green) for Robert Lang. Or a 1st (Andrei Vasilevsky) for KYLE QUINCEY.

giphy.gif

Reactions: ShelbyZ

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I’ve actually loved Boyd’s game and I think the Caps have too this season. If he’s the tax to move Jensen, Jensen likely stays.

Loved it?

Boyd is a 26 year old, healthy scratched more than half the time and has absolutely no role or place on the Caps.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Teams make dumb trades when they're trying to contend all the time. If that weren't the case, you'd still have Filip Forsberg.

That's not really an insult by the way, it just came to mind. Detroit has plenty. Like Jarnkrok for Legwand. Or a 1st (Mike Green) for Robert Lang. Or a 1st (Andrei Vasilevsky) for KYLE QUINCEY.

giphy.gif

you do know draft picks aren't assigned, you never had Green or Vasilevsky.

Reactions: crab

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Green has a negative value.

These trades happened last year:

-Ben Lovejoy with no retention for Connor Carrick and a 3rd
-Adam McQauid with no retention for a 4th, 7th and a throw in pro-level prospect
-Michael Del Zotto with 25% retention from an earlier trade for a 6th

You're telling me Green is worth less than those 3?

Reactions: qqaz

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Detroit should take Jensen back, clearly he fits their playstyle much better. Rehabilitate his value then trade him again as a 2nd pairing D on a low cap hit. Can insulate their rookies on D a bit in the meanwhile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad