Friedman: Nick Jensen (WSH) likely available. Capitals interested in Mike Green (DET)

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
How is he in his own zone? Can he make a first pass? Stay at home kinda guy or leave him at home kinda guy?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I mean, couldn't we have said the same thing before Yzerman brought in Biega?

I think the lesson here is if Ken Holland calls offering some smooth skating late 20's rental Dman for a 2nd rounder, HANG UP THE PHONE.

Sure, but Biega doesn't have three years left on a contract.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Jensen was a fake late bloomer hype train all along. I could not believe that anyone traded for him, let alone gave him a huge extension walking in the door.

At the time, I figured that since teams were hoarding up guys that had speed like Jensen's, he'd have certain interest as a rental. But him immediately getting an extension almost 2x longer than his NHL resume was way out of left field.

I mean the Rangers at least gave Brendan Smith a chance to fool them into thinking he was a good player before they gave him 4 more years...

Reactions: vladdy16

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I mean, couldn't we have said the same thing before Yzerman brought in Biega?

I think the lesson here is if Ken Holland calls offering some smooth skating late 20's rental Dman for a 2nd rounder, HANG UP THE PHONE.
Yeah but Biega is a short one year deal, Where Jensen still has 3 years or so left of his deal. Hopefully Yzerman stays away from him. We're set at RD for quite awhile.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
You know that guy in Fantasy Football who inevitably sends you a player in a trade and immediately after getting the player, they begin to suck or they get hurt and you regret talking to that guy? That's us, that's DET. Be wary of anyone we send you at this point.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Pretty much all of us, That would be bad value. And Yzerman usually wins these kind of trades. And that would be a loss.

The only way I see Yzerman entertaining a Jensen for Green deal is if:

-The Caps are adding to Jensen. There's no way Yzerman does a straight up Jensen for Green trade when he could probably simply get a mid round pick from another interested team.

AND

-There are few other teams interested in Green AND/OR
-Green blocked a handful of interested teams with his no trade list AND/OR
-Teams interested in Green aren't offering much value

The Wings do need some warm bodies on D for next season, so Jensen makes a little sense. If he's not a fit after next season, Yzerman can expose him to Seattle and try to convince them to take him.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
You know that guy in Fantasy Football who inevitably sends you a player in a trade and immediately after getting the player, they begin to suck or they get hurt and you regret talking to that guy? That's us, that's DET. Be wary of anyone we send you at this point.

Tatar seems to be having the best season of his career so far, so that's not entirely true. If anything, I would say if we're sending quality, there's a good chance they will play better (I'm thinking more along the likes of AA rather than Green though).

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Tatar seems to be having the best season of his career so far, so that's not entirely true. If anything, I would say if we're sending quality, there's a good chance they will play better (I'm thinking more along the likes of AA rather than Green though).

Aha! That was the trick! We didn't trade him to Montreal - we traded him to Vegas where he was disappointing! It's in jest but I'm thinking about some of our more recent moves (Nyquist and Tatar notwithstanding); Jensen, Smith, Jurco, Sheahan..sigh.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Three-way trade:

To Washington:
Green (@50%) and Kovalchuk

To Detroit:
Fourth rounder via DC (‘20 or ‘21)
Okay Prospect

To Montreal:
Jensen
Third rounder via DC (‘20 or ‘21)
Okay Prospect

Would work cap-wise, too.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
you say no to Jensen by all means. He's not going to help us nor do we need him. So, unless we're sending Green out for Jensen and a nice +++ piece for helping the caps get out of that debacle contract then there's no point in doing this.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Aha! That was the trick! We didn't trade him to Montreal - we traded him to Vegas where he was disappointing! It's in jest but I'm thinking about some of our more recent moves (Nyquist and Tatar notwithstanding); Jensen, Smith, Jurco, Sheahan..sigh.

I mean, Jensen, Smith, Jurco, etc were not exactly quality.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Three-way trade:

To Washington:
Green (@50%) and Kovalchuk

To Detroit:
Fourth rounder via DC (‘20 or ‘21)
Okay Prospect

To Montreal:
Jensen
Third rounder via DC (‘20 or ‘21)
Okay Prospect

Would work cap-wise, too.

I would actually consider this, as long as our top5 prospects are out of the equation.

Rounded the Jensen for Green idea myself at some point earlier, but i think Dillon deal buried the thought for good. Even if Jensen would be out we would still have the required depth for defence and id rather have forward now. Kovalchuk would be interesting.

so it would be more simple to do something like 21 2nd + Jensen (and if required a prospect or late pick) for Kovy.

then again im not gm of the Caps (atleast yet) so who cares.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
How is he in his own zone? Can he make a first pass? Stay at home kinda guy or leave him at home kinda guy?

He skates very well in his own end, but tends to play a bit of a roving style back there. He will follow his check until the ends of the Earth at times, which requires his linemates to all have their heads on a swivel to ensure no high value ice is left open.

He's got a decent-enough outlet pass, but also prefers to skate it out himself if he can. He's not afraid to take a 1-vs-1 against a forechecker and try to protect the puck and skate it around them to create a better transition opportunity. It often works out well, but can have some memorably bad consequences when it doesn't.

He's more of a transition defenseman than a stay-at-home defenseman. His real value comes in terms of denying zone entries and creating zone exits.

Last edited:

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO

Sssshhh. Don't tell them that.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He skates very well in his own end, but tends to play a bit of a roving style back there. He was follow his check until the ends of the Earth at times, which requires his linemates to all have their heads on a swivel to ensure no high value ice is left open.

He's got a decent-enough outlet pass, but also prefers to skate it out himself if he can. He's not afraid to take a 1-vs-1 against a forechecker and try to protect the puck and skate it around them to create a better transition opportunity. It often works out well, but can have some memorably bad consequences when it doesn't.

He's more of a transition defenseman than a stay-at-home defenseman. His real value comes in terms of denying zone entries and creating zone exits.

He's perfect. We'll take two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad