Friedman: Nick Jensen (WSH) likely available. Capitals interested in Mike Green (DET)

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
How is he in his own zone? Can he make a first pass? Stay at home kinda guy or leave him at home kinda guy?

Mobile laid back transition/stay at home guy, can skate, pass, has the main tools. PKs. Right handed Tallinder.

Just not fitting the system at all. Take him off our hands he might be Hainsey 2.0 for you at half the price

Reactions: LeafGrief

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
No idea why they'd move Mike Green Lite for Mike Green.

Indications are the Caps would like to add a significant piece, and Jensen leaving may just be the precondition to that happening.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
How many Wings fans' heads would explode if Green was traded for Jensen?

None? The Wings will need bodies on D and Jensen is fine. Having him as an RHD makes it so we don't have to hotrod prospects up just to have a lineup. It's have Jensen at 2.5M for a couple years or go diving and come out of FA with a Brooks Orpik at the end of his career type. Trade Green and then Jensen replaces Daley. You've then got Green's slot to fill.

Also, he'd be a guy you can easily leave unprotected at the expansion draft and maybe Seattle is like "hey, veteran D".

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
Could Green really still play in the top 4? I haven't seen him much the past season or so...

The main issues with Jensen are his lack of fit in the system and the fact that he shouldn't be playing top-4 minutes like he is. Unless a trade (or set of trades) addresses that, I'm not sure I see the real benefit. Jensen hasn't been good in his current role (and I'm not arguing he has any trade value) - but it does not good to unload him unless there's a #4 d-man that ultimately comes in...

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Could Green really still play in the top 4? I haven't seen him much the past season or so...

IMO, for a good team, Green is probably a slightly poorer man's version of (IIRC) how Trotz used him in his last year with the Caps and Blashill in his 1st year in Detroit. Sheltered 3rd pair guy, 2nd unit PPQB and probably doesn't see the ice for any PK or many d-zone draws.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
4 years is a long time to retain anything, but is that a possibility? Canucks could use some warm NHL caliber in any way RHD for playoff depth......something around Goldobin for Jensen at some retention? Really don't know enough about him to gauge.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
This guy would honestly be a great fit for the Senators. Money isn't an issue cause the team has to spend just to hit the floor and 3 years of term isn't too bad considering all they've got for RHD depth at the moment is Zaitsev and Jaros (some rookies coming through the pipeline too, but likely 2+ years away from taking a roster spot).

itsjustsurvival

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
4 years is a long time to retain anything, but is that a possibility? Canucks could use some warm NHL caliber in any way RHD for playoff depth......something around Goldobin for Jensen at some retention? Really don't know enough about him to gauge.

Highly doubt the Capitals retain salary on any contract with term.

Jensen has definitely struggled, but I fail to see how he's worth much less than $2.5 million.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
This guy would honestly be a great fit for the Senators. Money isn't an issue cause the team has to spend just to hit the floor and 3 years of term isn't too bad considering all they've got for RHD depth at the moment is Zaitsev and Jaros (some rookies coming through the pipeline too, but likely 2+ years away from taking a roster spot).
Does Hainsey have anything left in the tank at age 38? Maybe 50% retained of his $3.5 million + a pick/prospect for Jensen?

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
He skates very well in his own end, but tends to play a bit of a roving style back there. He was follow his check until the ends of the Earth at times, which requires his linemates to all have their heads on a swivel to ensure no high value ice is left open.

He's got a decent-enough outlet pass, but also prefers to skate it out himself if he can. He's not afraid to take a 1-vs-1 against a forechecker and try to protect the puck and skate it around them to create a better transition opportunity. It often works out well, but can have some memorably bad consequences when it doesn't.

He's more of a transition defenseman than a stay-at-home defenseman. His real value comes in terms of denying zone entries and creating zone exits.

This is a great take. I would add on that with all that said about his play style, his ability to deny zone entries is still a little flimsy, and his puckhandling, vision, patience and creativity really hinder his zone exits.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
None? The Wings will need bodies on D and Jensen is fine. Having him as an RHD makes it so we don't have to hotrod prospects up just to have a lineup. It's have Jensen at 2.5M for a couple years or go diving and come out of FA with a Brooks Orpik at the end of his career type. Trade Green and then Jensen replaces Daley. You've then got Green's slot to fill.

Also, he'd be a guy you can easily leave unprotected at the expansion draft and maybe Seattle is like "hey, veteran D".

Makes the most sense really.

If any heads explode, it'll be those of Red Wings fans who think their Messiahzerman is going to do nothing more than simply promote their favorite prospects to replace Green, Daley, Ericsson and Biega to "sink or swim" in the NHL when the rest of his blueline is Hronek, Nemeth, Bowey and a Danny DeKeyser who's missed most of this season. If he doesn't address it at the deadline, Yzerman probably makes one or two more Nemeth like signings in free agency to fill a couple of those spots, and give them some depth/insurance in case Nemeth is gone after next year, they lose a dman to Seattle, Cholowski and/or Lindstrom haven't locked down a regular spot in the line up, or any combination of those factors. Jensen is obviously a known factor to the Wings and fills ones of those spots, albeit for maybe one year longer than Yzerman might give a UFA dman of similar value.

That said, the only way I see Yzerman pulling the trigger on a trade that sends Green for Jensen, is if they're getting something else back along with Jensen and even more so if the Wings retain on Green.

Reactions: RedMenace

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Makes the most sense really.

If any heads explode, it'll be those of Red Wings fans who think their Messiahzerman is going to do nothing more than simply promote their favorite prospects to replace Green, Daley, Ericsson and Biega to "sink or swim" in the NHL when the rest of his blueline is Hronek, Nemeth, Bowey and a Danny DeKeyser who's missed most of this season. If he doesn't address it at the deadline, Yzerman probably makes one or two more Nemeth like signings in free agency to fill a couple of those spots, and give them some depth/insurance in case Nemeth is gone after next year, they lose a dman to Seattle, Cholowski and/or Lindstrom haven't locked down a regular spot in the line up, or any combination of those factors. Jensen is obviously a known factor to the Wings and fills ones of those spots, albeit for maybe one year longer than Yzerman might give a UFA dman of similar value.

That said, the only way I see Yzerman pulling the trigger on a trade that sends Green for Jensen, is if they're getting something else back along with Jensen and even more so if the Wings retain on Green.

Oh yeah. I was including Jensen+ as their side of the deal.

Jensen for Green, no. Jensen and a pick (2nd or 3rd?) Why not?

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Green is still good in the transition game, no? As long as he can consistently get the puck up to the Washington forwards he should be okay on the third pair.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Green is still good in the transition game, no? As long as he can consistently get the puck up to the Washington forwards he should be okay on the third pair.

He can still do that. He's never been terrible defensively, but as a 3th pair in a contender he'd do great.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Detroit would probably take Jensen back but Caps have to add. Protas would probably get it done. So Protas and Jensen for Green. He’s an interesting prospect. He’ll be a hit or miss guy. Don’t think there will be much in between with him.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Detroit would probably take Jensen back but Caps have to add. Protas would probably get it done. So Protas and Jensen for Green. He’s an interesting prospect. He’ll be a hit or miss guy. Don’t think there will be much in between with him.
That's over payment so no Protas. Green 50% his cap hit is worth no more than a 3rd. Jensen is still a very serviceable d-man as a 4/5 for most non playoff teams. His cap hit of $2.5 million for what he can provide, is still a fair deal.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I mean Mike Green making a return to the Caps would be kind of nice.

But he won't be their best defenseman like the good ol' days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad