Player Discussion Nick Holden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I was just hoping that he would be passable/a warm body relative to this defense when we made the trade.

Removing any context, he's been objectively good. I really cannot ask for more from this guy.

The hate he got even before he played was kinda hilarious. I fully admit I was hard on him early in the season, but I kinda fell in love at the end of October/early November.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Honestly, I think Staal is the worst D on the team the past two weeks. By a mile.

So:

McD / Skjei get a longer look
Holden / Girardi
Staal / Klein/Clendening

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Honestly, I think Staal is the worst D on the team the past two weeks. By a mile.

So:

McD / Skjei get a longer look
Holden / Girardi
Staal / Klein/Clendening

People hate on Girardi because of his past performance but Staal and Klein have been worse this season

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Girardi can't hold Klein's jockstrap on his worst days

This narrative that Girardi has been better than Klein and especially Staal needs to die like yesterday

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
First thing I remember from Holden was, that everybody was pissed.

Then in the first game, immediately his puck control struck me as solid. Like unflustered solid. Skating ok, presence minor. With time he started to be more and more noticable.

I think we couldn't have asked for more in this situation. The difference to me is that Holden actually seems skilled. It's not an A, duh, but it's a C+ B- and that's good enough.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I was one of many that criticized the trade. Sure, it was only a 4th rounder but Holden was 216th out of 232 D-men between 2013 and 2016 in CF%.

There were serious questions about him being bad and he has surprised everyone. Looks like he was a victim of the situation in Colorado, not a symptom

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Holden's play has far surpassed my expectations. The question that needs to be asked is if he is a late bloomer who at 29 has hit his stride? If there is any doubt that it is just that, then trading him should be explored while his value will may have hit it's apex.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
No surprise we all disliked him in the beginning, but he's been steady since.

hNObf19.png

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Girardi is the worst defenseman on this team. He is not even ECHL caliber anymore. Too many blocked shots have robbed him of mobility. He is done. Staal is second worst but the difference is Staal can still show up every now and then and completely shut down the other teams best player. Girardi cannot shut down a defensive fourth liner. This idea that Klein and Staal are worse is laughable. Klein has had a bad season. Girardi is now going on 3 bad seasons. 2 really awful ones.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Girardi can't hold Klein's jockstrap on his worst days

This narrative that Girardi has been better than Klein and especially Staal needs to die like yesterday

Are you kidding? Klein has been by far the biggest disappointment on the backend. G is clearly in need of a rest and that is on the coach. He said he would give him breathers and he has not (shocker). G has taken a beating over the years, it is understandable why he has regressed. Klein on the other hand was supposed to show up into this year as a top four d. He has been god awful and looks to be moving in quick sand. He also IMO looks to have gotten bigger. Look at him back during the Cup run and look at him now. IDK, something is not right there but Klein has clearly been terrible.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Are you kidding? Klein has been by far the biggest disappointment on the backend. G is clearly in need of a rest and that is on the coach. He said he would give him breathers and he has not (shocker). G has taken a beating over the years, it is understandable why he has regressed. Klein on the other hand was supposed to show up into this year as a top four d. He has been god awful and looks to be moving in quick sand. He also IMO looks to have gotten bigger. Look at him back during the Cup run and look at him now. IDK, something is not right there but Klein has clearly been terrible.

This is definitely by far the worst Klein has looked this season ever since he got traded here. I don't know if he's starting to decline already, or if he's been battling an injury or something, but he's definitely not right.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I do like Holden better than Yandle. Yandle on this team would probably have more than 18 points though. Then again he kind of sucks defensively. Holden is a more rounded all situations player and his offense has been pretty damn good.

I'll note something else for the people yacking about Klein. I agree he's not playing well--you know who else isn't playing very well?---Anton Stralman. Defense is a tough position to play and it wears players down faster than the other positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad