Player Discussion Nick Holden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I guess I haven't been watching him closely enough, because I don't get the hype. I'll focus on him tonight.

Where the hell do you see hype in this thread? I think everyone just agrees he's better than the $5.5m, $5.7m, and $2.9m guys who should be better than him. No one here is calling him Nick "Norris" Holden, that would be hype. It's actually a sad thing that a depth D outperforming almost everyone else outside of McDonagh.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Where the hell do you see hype in this thread? I think everyone just agrees he's better than the $5.5m, $5.7m, and $2.9m guys who should be better than him. No one here is calling him Nick "Norris" Holden, that would be hype. It's actually a sad thing that a depth D outperforming almost everyone else outside of McDonagh.

mostly this but his timely goal scoring is pretty cool and kind of hilarious.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
He's getting protection worthy.

I think Girardi does the honorable thing and exposes himself to the expansion draft. LVG isn't going to take him. Dan's been a company man for more than a decade, but I think this move will further endear himself to the organization and teammates.

He put himself out there so Nick Holden can stay.

Would make for an awesome locker room running gag.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
He'll make a great partner with Stralman on Tampa Bay after we re-sign Klein.

I'm joking. Hopefully.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
With Grabner and Holden being unprotected we'll be very lucky to keep both. Really bothers me that we're gunna lose one of them because it was a great move to sign Grab for 2 years and Holden is a bargain for another season as well

We finally get one of these guys on more than a one year deal and one is going to get poached.

At this point, I'm almost certain Raanta is the best candidate for the expansion draft. 1 year left @ $1M and looking like either a tradeable asset mid season or a guy to resign as a cheap #1 for the initial build years.

Holden... he's been great. He started off so terrible, but I forget that AV's system seems to be such a change for players that it takes everyone some adjustment time. Holden looks like he's finding his groove and looks more comfortable every game. He's also got size and can play physical around the net and it looks like he found a team system where he's comfortable in pushing his offense.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Would love to give him another go next to McDonagh now that he's settled into the system, but he and Staal have been working well together. I'm happy to keep a good thing going.

We have over 300 minutes of 5v5 data on three pairings now...

McDonagh - Girardi: -4.47 relSA% | -0.72 relxGF% | -10.56 relGF%
Staal - Holden: -0.32 relSA% | -6.44 relxGF% | +10.32 relGF%
Skjei - Klein: +2.20 relSA% | -7.10 relxGF% | -0.28 relGF%

It's sort of fascinating that our three most popular pairings are all negative in the expected goal department.

We've got some less popular pairings that are more successful there which are driving the numbers down.

Staal - Klein as a relxGF% of +10.81
McDonagh - Holden has a relxGF% of +9.99
Holden - Klein has a relxGF% of +6.51%

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I was one of the people who was hoping for Holden to have a Stralman-like improvement on his career with us, and I know it is not all about points but...

Stralman: 18 points in 53 games
Holden: 20 points in 38 games

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
He's officially protection worthy at the moment. Rangers will have to get creative. Either at the deadline or in the off-season.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
He's officially protection worthy at the moment. Rangers will have to get creative. Either at the deadline or in the off-season.

I don't think he's someone you go out of your way to protect. But under the scenario they have where it's buy out or somehow ditch Girardi and you need to protect another defenseman, then yeah he's the guy you protect. If they go out and acquire someone big then you protect McDonagh, Staal, and the acquired defensemen and call it a day.

There's no scenario where you protect Klein at this point. Older, makes more money, less versatile, and simply not as good of a player as Holden.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I don't think he's someone you go out of your way to protect. But under the scenario they have where it's buy out or somehow ditch Girardi and you need to protect another defenseman, then yeah he's the guy you protect. If they go out and acquire someone big then you protect McDonagh, Staal, and the acquired defensemen and call it a day.

There's no scenario where you protect Klein at this point. Older, makes more money, less versatile, and simply not as good of a player as Holden.

Easy fix, especially if Holden covers up for Staal's shortcomings. We don't need another stralman mishap situation like the 2014 offseason...

Expose Klein, that's a no brainier. We only need to expose one defenseman that fits the 40/70 rule, Klein and Holden both fit it.

Buyout or trade Girardi with retained salary.

Sign Shattenkirk

Play Clendening

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Sometimes a guy will just fit in well in a team's structure and this seems to be a case of that. He's prorating now to over 40 points for this season--that's damn good offense for a guy not particularly noted for it. He's also been solid defensively.

I have to be honest--I like Holden's season this year more than I like Yandle's last year. Yandle is better offensively but Holden's a lot better defensively and if he's going to have a 40+ point season I'm taking Holden.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Going against what seems to be the consensus everywhere, but I don’t think Holden has been bad at all. As a disclaimer, this is only based on watching every game so far, without having looked at any advanced stats.

Outside of a couple of bad games (Boston and Carolina) and a few admittedly poor reads/decisions scattered throughout the rest, I think Holden has been pretty good. He’s been pretty good in the corners and in 50/50 battles, has often made pretty good quick outlet passes, and more often than not makes the right decision with the puck. His footspeed isn’t noticeably slow. His gap and positioning has been pretty good. All in all, he seems to be fitting in just fine to the somehow revamped defensive system.

I am in no way advocating that he is deserving of playing on the top pair, or even that he’s a true 3-4 defenseman. However, I also don’t think its fair to him to draw the criticism that he should be benched or nowhere near the lineup.

So to wrap up, I don’t buy into the concept that Holden is playing poorly and is the early season scapegoat. The Rangers have had a fantastic start to the season, and I think all of its players are contributing to their success from top to bottom. Holden has been far from a stud, but in the same vein, he has been far from a dud. Apologies for the rambling post, but I felt a counterpoint could be made to open up some discussion.

I really wish I had posted just about everything you've stated,as those were my sentiments way back......even when he was coughing up the puck and making poor decisions because he wanted to do SOMETHING SPECIAL to impress. A common mistake, right? Good analaysis and a fair evaluation (imo) when nearly everyone was destroying him.

I don't look at charts...I watch games. Holden is a serviceable 4-5 defenseman. He's playing his off side. He makes some nice plays and pulls the occasional rock. He is not a dumpster fire.
Same as above, good for you.

More or less this. Just put him on the left side. I liked the signing when I thought that meant potential movement amongst our LHD. Not for him to play #1RD
Fair enough.

Yeah, Holden fixed a lot of the poor reads he's been making. He does better against less competition, so it's not surprising to see him do well in the role he's more suited to play. He doesn't belong on the top pairing, but you have to give him credit for being serviceable while playing his off-side.
Imo, not enough credit. Obviously he was a better candidate than our overpaid, aging....well u know who.

Don't look now, but he's second on a 10-3-0 team in TOI/G. Credit where credit is due. He's been playing well recently.
Still would like the team to acquire a legit top pairing RHD, however.
We all do, but YOU gave him his props.

The guy has been everything you could want to get and more for the price of the 4th round pick. He has played both sides, 1st, 2nd and 3rd pairing. PK and PP. He plays a nice physical game as well and on top of that, he is scoring.
Good for you, good for Nicky boy, good for AV & the Rangers.

I know many people hate his 'fancy stats' but the guy has been a nice low-cost addition to a defensive corps that needed exactly what he brings.
This isn't discounting the fact that they need to upgrade the right side, but he has played well.
No discounting..........I like it, it would be unfair if we did. He was making some good plays, hitting people and overall.....playing his ass off.

He's just the new whipping boy. He'd have to win a Norris to get some kind of respect around here
Seems that way, good for you taking up for the unjust whipping boy.

Anyone who thinks Holden is that big a liability must not be watching games. He's fine...and he would probably be even better if he wasn't playing his off side. I'd categorize him as a pleasant surprise.

Me too, as I liked him and what he "could someday bring" . He made some really nice plays offensively that "OTHERS" could only dream of making.

He nick you belong in the ahl lol.
Great game Nicky boy keep it up and make the masses eat crow
LOVE this one!

I've never gone from hating a player to liking him so fast like Holden. Like wow I HATED him when we first got him.
Good on you for admitting it, some are still hating. They NEED TO BE RIGHT, even though that would mean, they would be rooting against their team........... they supposedly love.

You cannot stop occasional Power Forward Nick Holden
This. He really kind of is. Man, that powermove he made in one of his first games really impressed me, and will always remember it. Just can't remember against whom. These are the types of goals you NEED TO GET in the Playoffs, following up a sometimes busted play that ends up behind the net and passing to a trailer. I've always noticed that top lines cancel out, and its the contributions made from the offensive defenseman that can join the rush, that makes a difference. This is the new NHL and you NEED dmen that can make plays........mark my words he will get them, and make everyone that ever hated on this kid EAT EFFIN CROW!

It would've been much more difficult to "call out the haters" as there were so many.
I chose to accolade the sensible, positive and more sensitive posts. So sorry to have wasted the negative, unfair and senseless posters time.......NOT!

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
and his step brother they interviewed the other night, the cop from edmonton, seemed to be really cool.

im more of a fan now than before just cause of his cool bro.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sometimes a guy will just fit in well in a team's structure and this seems to be a case of that. He's prorating now to over 40 points for this season--that's damn good offense for a guy not particularly noted for it. He's also been solid defensively.
I agree and that is one of the reasons that I view him as a sell-high guy.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Can't ask more from Holden. Guy is a legit top 4 dman. Very few can play their offside. He's been solid.

Keep in mind Holden came into the league with some offense in his game scored 10g 15 a for his first real season in Colorado. The offense went away but he was still playing 20 mins a night for Colorado. How smart does Patrick Roy look when he called AV and said you just got my best dman?

Holden's going to put up 30 maybe 40 pts this year. Damn good.

I'd put him with McDonagh now problem is you can't play Girardi or Klein with staal. Clendening has looked very good with staal but again that would constitute AV actually sitting Girardi.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Can't ask more from Holden. Guy is a legit top 4 dman. Very few can play their offside. He's been solid.

Keep in mind Holden came into the league with some offense in his game scored 10g 15 a for his first real season in Colorado. The offense went away but he was still playing 20 mins a night for Colorado. How smart does Patrick Roy look when he called AV and said you just got my best dman?

I'd put him with McDonagh now problem is you can't play Girardi or Klein with staal. Clendening has looked very good with staal but again that would constitute AV actually sitting Girardi.

Staal-Klein is somewhat passable but I hate that pairing.

You're right though, the only real option is to play Clendening

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
I was just hoping that he would be passable/a warm body relative to this defense when we made the trade.

Removing any context, he's been objectively good. I really cannot ask for more from this guy.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
no

that is exactly what not to do. Avs fans have all stated more than once that holden was good for them until Roy asked him to do too much and played him heavy minutes and first pair. Holden has been good but he is a 4-5 d-man tops. which is fine for us. at 1.65 Mill per a bargain really. He has been really good defensively and is add some key goals and assists but we can't expect him to play 1st pair minutes with McD... It would not end well for holden. The holden staal pair has been suprisingly good much to my suprise as well. ( ill eat crow for hating on him early). leave him as a 4-5 and let him flourish..... truth of the matter is this team needs at least 1 RD with offense.. Klein has been bad.. I think he is still having back issues. he should be dealt/exposed as well as girardi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad