Nick Foligno Discussion

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Huh? I'm pretty sure those 3 were brought in because they performed very well, some against elite competition. Didn't Bolland win a Cup? Pretty sure Dion was a legend before coming here. Clarkson you could argue was a one hit wonder and we paid him similar to Blake after a career year. But I don't think your assertion of them being drastically different from Foligno is correct or close.

To be more precise, here's the even strength TOI for each guy compared to their teamates the 2yrs prior to coming here:

Chicago

1. Kane 16:49
2. Toews 15:29
3. Sharp 15:09
4. Hossa 14:41
5. Saad 14:00
6. Shaw 13:07
7. Stalberg 12:57
8. Bolland 12:49 (-5.2xgfrel)
9. Kruger 12:07

New Jersey

1. Kovalchuk 17:42
2. Parise 16:05
3. Zajac 14:45
4. Zebras 14:40
5. Henrique 14:26
6. Elias 14:13
7. Sykora 13:55
8. Clarkson 13:34 (+3.4 xgfrel)
9. Ponikarovsky 13:34

Both those guys were closer to 3rd liners than 2nd liners before coming here, and not just in TOI but in QOC as well.

Clarkson at least performed pretty well in that sheltered role, but Bolland was atrocious even in that sheltered role before we got him.

Calgary

1. Bouwmeester 19:13
2. Phaneuf 18:13 (-1.3xgfrel)
3. Regehr 17:11
4. Aucoin 15:06

At least Dion was in a legit top line role....though even then he wasn't facing the #1 QOC, just secondary QOC. He wasn't awful in that role but also wasn't very good, even before we got him.

Columbus

1. Bjorkstand 15:33
2. Dubois 15:01
3. Foligno 14:55 (+0.5xgf%)
4. Nyquist 14:48
5. Jenner 14:34
6. Atkinson 14:29

On the other hand, Foligno is not only a guy that has been playing legit top line minutes (and the only guy in that top 6 there to also play full minutes on both special teams), but also faces the toughest qoc as their primary matchup forward.

Despite that elite usage, Foligno still manages to have a positive on-ice impact compared to the rest of his team.

The Foligno add is really nothing like those adds at all.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He's entering the team just in the nick of time.
Oh damn funny. were you just Foliging around with us.

I read something really funny about the Foligno trade today. So he goes to the rink to pick up his equipment after the trade, They had it packed for him in a Leafs bag that Lehtonen brought when he was traded there. Lol thats awesome.

Last edited:

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
He was 50/50 on it i was in checking his drafts. They were ok. There were some picks that were head shakers. Tlusty over Foligno was bad. Passed on some better ranked player to go off the board

Tlusty was a no Brainerd. Every scout had him top 3 European if not 1

He just didn't pan out

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He was 50/50 on it i was in checking his drafts. They were ok. There were some picks that were head shakers. Tlusty over Foligno was bad. Passed on some better ranked player to go off the board

Claude Giroux would have been a much bigger home run pick than Nick Foligno.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Oh damn funny. were just Foligging around with us.

I read something really funny about the Foligno trade today. So he goes to the rink to pick up his equipment after the trade, They had it packed for him in a Leafs bag that Lehtonen brought when he was traded there. Lol thats awesome.

Money is tight all over. Re-use an equipment bag with the logo and save a couple of bucks. Hah.

Reactions: The Cobra

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
To be more precise, here's the even strength TOI for each guy compared to their teamates the 2yrs prior to coming here:

Chicago

1. Kane 16:49
2. Toews 15:29
3. Sharp 15:09
4. Hossa 14:41
5. Saad 14:00
6. Shaw 13:07
7. Stalberg 12:57
8. Bolland 12:49 (-5.2xgfrel)
9. Kruger 12:07

New Jersey

1. Kovalchuk 17:42
2. Parise 16:05
3. Zajac 14:45
4. Zebras 14:40
5. Henrique 14:26
6. Elias 14:13
7. Sykora 13:55
8. Clarkson 13:34 (+3.4 xgfrel)
9. Ponikarovsky 13:34

Both those guys were closer to 3rd liners than 2nd liners before coming here, and not just in TOI but in QOC as well.

Clarkson at least performed pretty well in that sheltered role, but Bolland was atrocious even in that sheltered role before we got him.

Calgary

1. Bouwmeester 19:13
2. Phaneuf 18:13 (-1.3xgfrel)
3. Regehr 17:11
4. Aucoin 15:06

At least Dion was in a legit top line role....though even then he wasn't facing the #1 QOC, just secondary QOC. He wasn't awful in that role but also wasn't very good, even before we got him.

Columbus

1. Bjorkstand 15:33
2. Dubois 15:01
3. Foligno 14:55 (+0.5xgf%)
4. Nyquist 14:48
5. Jenner 14:34
6. Atkinson 14:29

On the other hand, Foligno is not only a guy that has been playing legit top line minutes (and the only guy in that top 6 there to also play full minutes on both special teams), but also faces the toughest qoc as their primary matchup forward.

Despite that elite usage, Foligno still manages to have a positive on-ice impact compared to the rest of his team.

The Foligno add is really nothing like those adds at all.

I appreciate your workup and effort here, though I don't really see a drastic difference to be honest. Maybe in Bolland's case - the other two was a combo of 1st and 2nd line aspirations and the performance was much greater than Foligno from a point production stand point.

You make it seem like Foligno is coming in with top line aspirations/contributions and those guys were far from it. I'd argue the expectations of Dion and Clarkson were considerably higher than Foligno and for good reason (because of their prior performance).

Anyway, that might actually play into Foligno's favour, since I don't think there's a ton of expectations, ie. come in and play defensively sound hockey, while chipping in the odd point.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I appreciate your workup and effort here, though I don't really see a drastic difference to be honest. Maybe in Bolland's case - the other two was a combo of 1st and 2nd line aspirations and the performance was much greater than Foligno from a point production stand point.

You make it seem like Foligno is coming in with top line aspirations/contributions and those guys were far from it. I'd argue the expectations of Dion and Clarkson were considerably higher than Foligno and for good reason (because of their prior performance).

Anyway, that might actually play into Foligno's favour, since I don't think there's a ton of expectations, ie. come in and play defensively sound hockey, while chipping in the odd point.

To be honest, I'm not sure how you can't see a big difference between 1st liners and 3rd liners.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
To be honest, I'm not sure how you can't see a big difference between 1st liners and 3rd liners.

1. Dion was not a 3rd liner..
2. Performance can encompass other things than simply TOI and xgf.. there are these things called goals, assists, and points, for example, as well
3. Dion and Clarkson were not brought in to be 3rd liners and as mentioned, their expectations were arguably higher than Foligno's

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
1. Dion was not a 3rd liner..
2. Performance can encompass other things than simply TOI and xgf.. there are these things called goals, assists, and points, for example, as well
3. Dion and Clarkson were not brought in to be 3rd liners and as mentioned, their expectations were arguably higher than Foligno's

1. Expectations are irrelevant If they're based on superficial things like PP scoring.

2. Yes, Dion was a 1st liner, but not a top match up 1st liner, and was subpar even in that role.

3. Clarkson was a good 3rd liner.

4. Bolland was a bad 3rd line.

5. Foligno has been a strong defensive top-competition matchup 1st liner for a great defensive team.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Foligno Tavares Nylander please
If I'm a betting man this will be the line. Galchenyuk has done well beside Matthews and Marner and that line seems to be pushing the pace when on the ice. I think Foligno is 2nd line LW and if it clicks, he's staying there. Even when healthy, Keefe likes to use Hyman to give himself a responsible third line that can create pressure. Full health id bet on:
Galchenyuk-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Thornton-Spezza-Simmonds

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Galchenyuk Has been very good and more than most of us expected , cooled off as of late and looks more like a solid 3rd liner if he can maintain his good early start , I see no problem in that at all .
If he can be a solid 3rd liner with his early play with us then that means you’re team is pretty good .
You have to go with Hyman and Foligno as your top 2 lines in the playoffs
16 bloody wins , let’s load up the top 6 with our best , Go there to win it all Leafs !
Bottom 6 mix and match with who’s doing the job , play them till you loose , then insert another.
No attending to egos or playing time or owed time or veteran play generosity , or ice time management, play the best players in that Bottom 6 !
Again
16 wins !no matter what the score is or how you did it or who scored or anything at all .
Enough is enough Leaf nation !
Just win!
16 games!
Go with who helps you win !
Go Leafs Go!

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Galchenyuk Has been very good and more than most of us expected , cooked off as of late and looks more like a solid 3rd liner if he can maintain his good early start , I see no problem in that at all .
If he can be a solid 3rd liner with his early play with us then that means you’re team us pretty good .
You have to go with Hyman and Foligno as your top 2 lines in the playoffs
16 bloody wins , let’s load up the top 6 with our best , Go there to win it all Leafs !
Bottom 6 mix and match with who’s doing the job , play them till you loose , then insert another
Again
16 wins no matter the score of who scored or anything
Enough is enough Leaf nation
Just win
16 games
Go with who helps you win
If yesterday was a glimpse of playoff Joe Thornton than he should be playing. Guessing he has a bit more inside he's withholding for the post season too. This is likely his last kick at the can afterall.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
I don’t think Foligno (he may still be rusty) has the skill to hang with AM and MM. he might be better suited to play with JT and WN who tend to cycle in the corner more

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
If I'm a betting man this will be the line. Galchenyuk has done well beside Matthews and Marner and that line seems to be pushing the pace when on the ice. I think Foligno is 2nd line LW and if it clicks, he's staying there. Even when healthy, Keefe likes to use Hyman to give himself a responsible third line that can create pressure. Full health id bet on:
Galchenyuk-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Thornton-Spezza-Simmonds

I could see Nash replacing Kerf. A line of Hyman/Nash/Mik would be an insane shutdown 3rd line.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I don’t think Foligno (he may still be rusty) has the skill to hang with AM and MM. he might be better suited to play with JT and WN who tend to cycle in the corner more

Thinking this as well...

I think part of having Foligno with M&M is to try and make them more comfortable in playing a "playoff style" game.

Yes, Galchenyuk & Hyman are better fits for the way that M&M like to play in open ice... and Foligno is a better fit than either of those 2 for Tavares & Nylander who can cycle. However, if the Leafs get forced into cycling, having Foligno with M&M is going to help them more than either Hyman or Galchenyuk are.

bpower

Aug 21, 2005
Thinking this as well...

I think part of having Foligno with M&M is to try and make them more comfortable in playing a "playoff style" game.

Yes, Galchenyuk & Hyman are better fits for the way that M&M like to play in open ice... and Foligno is a better fit than either of those 2 for Tavares & Nylander who can cycle. However, if the Leafs get forced into cycling, having Foligno with M&M is going to help them more than either Hyman or Galchenyuk are.

Uhh what? Hyman is a cycling beast!

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
It takes a lot more than 2 games to build chemistry yet Foligno has done really well. Lets give it some more time before saying Foligno is better suited further down in the lineup.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
It's nice to see him doing the little things like getting in lanes, taking the body, just has a no nonsense like approach to him. A team that succeeds in the playoffs, needs a lot of different kinds of talents and roles. Foligno is definitely a nice addition even though it's been a short amount of time.

I think him getting another 7 or 8 games in will be even better for him just chemistry and tendency wise.

The older guys like him and more notably, Thornton and Simmonds, have had tough years, but recently you can see they are bringing it and if they can continue that (likely), it only bodes well.

You can see Keefe mentioning how Thornton and Simmonds have both sensed the timing with the schedule/playoffs and how it's time to get in that zone.

I also love the 1993 cap Nick has brought along. Just terrific.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Fun fact: His first two games with the Leafs are the first time he has recorded back to back games with an assist this year.

It's also just the 2nd time he has had points in back to back games when he had points in 3 straight in January.

I have a feeling he'll like playing with guys that can score..

Reactions: The Cobra and qqaz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad