Nick Foligno Discussion

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Not when we needed him most. Twice.

Only reason we didn't have Kadri the 2nd time was because of how utterly soft this team is. How anyone could have watched that game and blamed Kadri as the only one player to do anything against the plethora of cheap shots is beyond me.

Reactions: LeafsRus and Kurtz

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
For those interested, Foligno on Wally and Methot podcast today and YouTube, Spezza was on an earlier episode.

Last edited:

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
JFJ drafted Tlusty in the 2006 draft over Foligno in the 1st round. I’m glad we finally have that corrected :)
He also passed on Lucic next round ha. That guy was terrible.

He actually wasn't. JFJ for all his flack was good at drafting

That draft he picked
Nik Kulemin
Reimer
Komarov
Stalberg
Holzer

All of these players besides Holzer were regulars in NHL and 2 still currently playing in starter role. One of them scored 30 goals

He only had 2 first round picks. One of them was Rask. Tlusty was a very good pick considering how he was ranked by many scouts to be a very good prospect. That was a no brainer pick at the time

Foligno himself is nothing to write home about. He has a good career but his numbers are not very stellar. He'll be no doubt a great addition

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

That draft he picked
Nik Kulemin
Reimer
Komarov
Stalberg
Holzer

All of these players besides Holzer were regulars in NHL and 2 still currently playing in starter role. One of them scored 30 goals

He only had 2 first round picks. One of them was Rask. Tlusty was a very good pick considering how he was ranked by many scouts to be a very good prospect. That was a no brainer pick at the time

Foligno himself is nothing to write home about. He has a good career but his numbers are not very stellar. He'll be no doubt a great addition
He did make some good picks. Not going to agree he was good at it. He was overall poor at The G.M position. Quinn getting replaced started the fall. Point was we got Foligno. Foligno thread so i digress

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013

That draft he picked
Nik Kulemin
Reimer
Komarov
Stalberg
Holzer

Nick Foligno will be a godsend come playoffs. We have never had a player like him (playoff wise) since the days of Clark, Dougie, Tucker, Roberts. We needed to get a player like this to team up with Hyman (the only other player that is trending in that direction for us)

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Nick Foligno will be a godsend come playoffs. We have never had a player like him (playoff wise) since the days of Clark, Dougie, Tucker, Roberts. We needed to get a player like this to team up with Hyman (the only other player that is trending in that direction for us)

We said the same thing about Clarkson, Bolland, Phaneuf

He'll be a heck of an addition, to say he's any of those players above will be just naive. None of those players were brought in in their mid 30s when their prime was done
With maybe an exception of Roberts who was physically a freak

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

He'll be a heck of an addition, to say he's any of those players above will be just naive. None of those players were brought in in their mid 30s when their prime was done
Nash and Foligno are defensive forwards and will likely fit right in and work the trenches. Both are penalty kill adds also likely helping a area we need. They are physical too. I don’t doubt for a second they are pretty good adds for the roster. Hutton is a good depth veteran add also i believe. These guys all play a safe game. Good adds no doubts. Foligno is every bit the leader as anyone on the team. He’s a team first guy thats well respected for a reason.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Tracking data stock watch: Who is rising and falling after deadline additions?

Even as Alex Galchenyuk has fit in well for the Leafs in their top-six forward group, Foligno is a nearly ideal option for Toronto on the left wing of John Tavares and William Nylander. That’s because he managed a 65.3 percent offensive zone possession success rate (how often he makes a successful play in the offensive zone — completed pass, shot on goal, beating defender one on one), the 13th best mark among all NHL forwards this season (minimum 300 minutes played).

Foligno has the ability to enhance the performance of Toronto’s cycle game significantly, and as a descriptive note is almost constantly making north cycle passes — that is passes toward the net, not necessarily at the goal directly but in the direction of the goal line that extends the cycle — to the point that he ranks among the league’s leaders by this categoy:

FORWARDNORTH CYCLE PASSES/20
Nick Schmaltz4.1
David Perron4.0
Auston Matthews4.0
Barclay Goodrow3.9
Nick Foligno3.9
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Foligno isn’t nearly as assertive as Hyman at this juncture in their respective careers, but he shows exceedingly well — ranking in the top-40 among NHL forwards (minimum 300 minutes played) — by several key puck retrieval indicators that Sportlogiq tracks, including blocked passes in the defensive zone and loose puck recoveries in the defensive zone.

and he does this in big minutes against top competition, making it even more impressive compared to some of those names there.

Foligno is good in his own right, even on a checking line, but the dream here is that these particular skills really complement our elite scorers perfectly, instead being limited to a guy like Jenner.

linemates last 3yrs (min 100min):

Centers:

1. Jenner 1205:03, 1.29p/60
2. Wennberg 381:48, 1.41p/60
3. Dubois 319:40, 1.88p/60
4. Nash 257:28, 1.17p/60

Wingers

1. Anderson 670:58, 1.70p/60
2. Bjorkstrand 422:01, 1.00p/60
3. Atkinson 367:12, 1.31p/60
4. Texier 292:58, 1.64p/60
5. Nyquist 180:10, 2.33p/60
6. Gerbe 113:01, 1.06p/60
7. Robinson 111:52, 2.15p/60
8. Duclair 104:06, 2.88p/60

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Foligno is and has performed very well in big minutes against elite competition.

None of those three names you mention did.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Foligno is and has performed very well in big minutes against elite competition.

Dion was the only player played on playoffs and he was actually good against Boston

The other two didn't even play. But I'm hoping like you he performs well but to be honest not seeing much from this team. One or two players can't do everything

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Dion was the only player played on playoffs and he was actually good against Boston

The other two didn't even play. But I'm hoping like you he performs well but to be honest not seeing much from this team. One or two players can't do everything

We're having our best season in pretty much ever, btw.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018

Huh? I'm pretty sure those 3 were brought in because they performed very well, some against elite competition. Didn't Bolland win a Cup? Pretty sure Dion was a legend before coming here. Clarkson you could argue was a one hit wonder and we paid him similar to Blake after a career year. But I don't think your assertion of them being drastically different from Foligno is correct or close.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
JFJ drafted Tlusty in the 2006 draft over Foligno in the 1st round. I’m glad we finally have that corrected :)
He also passed on Lucic next round ha. That guy was terrible.

JFJ was actually not too bad at drafting. Just got fleeced in trades having to talk to other managers or negotiation NTCs with agents.

Reactions: Menzinger

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
JFJ was actually not too bad at drafting. Just got fleeced in trades having to talk to other managers or negotiation NTCs with agents.
He was 50/50 on it i was in checking his drafts. They were ok. There were some picks that were head shakers. Tlusty over Foligno was bad. Passed on some better ranked player to go off the board

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Huh? I'm pretty sure those 3 were brought in because they performed very well, some against elite competition. Didn't Bolland win a Cup? Pretty sure Dion was a legend before coming here. Clarkson you could argue was a one hit wonder and we paid him similar to Blake after a career year. But I don't think your assertion of them being drastically different from Foligno is correct or close.

Nope.

Clarkson and Bolland played borderline top 6 roles for their squads, and not very well. Phaneuf played a topline role, but not very well.

Foligni on the other hand has always played a top minute AND top competition role for his team, and performed well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad