Nick Foligno Discussion

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
Foligno is a good pick up, will help the depth and add toughness to the line up....but don't think he is the final piece to winning a cup. You're depth will provide the support to your top players, but to win 4 rounds of hockey your best players need to be just that. Marner, Mathews, Tavares, Reilly, Muzzin, Campbell/Andersen need to be impact players.

Chief keefe

Sep 27, 2015
Mississauga
Where does Nash slot in for you?

Robertson/Simmonds out with Spezza to the wing?
I forgot about him. I honestly don't know if Nash slots in right away unless someone is struggling. But you are right. IF he slots in anywhere it will likely be for Robertson or Simmonds. The only reason I have Robertson with Spezza and Simmonds is so he can be sheltered in a small role with those two. Both can score and he's a great setup man too. I do not think Jumbo should be playing unless we need some leadership on the ice which we have ALOT of now

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Kadri was a me first player, Foligno is the opposite. Willing to do the things to make a team win, not just pad his stats as Kadri did and continues to do in his career.

Reactions: moon111

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Kadri is an offense-only, no-defense player.

Foligno is an elite defensive player.

So no.
Foligno is a more cerebral player as well.

Never thought Kadri was bright. Remember him in all the behind the scenes films on the Leafs.

And I am/was a big Kadri fan too.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Once every 10 games, anyway.

Hey you’re not wrong. Kadri has a reputation for being such a tough guy but there were so many nights he would sleep walk and do nothing in the physicality department.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Anyway, I’m glad we got Foligno but also feel a little bittersweet that he’ll likely not be here for very long and that while the Leafs value this player type in the moment so little emphasis is placed on drafting and developing them. Organizationally we do need these kind of guys coming up through the system and growing as Leafs from day one.

Reactions: binop7

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
If you take someone like Wayne Gretzky or someone like Sheldon Keefe, which one had to learn the game more in order to have a career in the NHL?
How to win by Gretzky is to take the puck and score 200 points. To Sheldon Keefe, it was so much more. Offensive players rely on skills, not smarts to win.
Kadri, IMHO, would be a disaster as a coach compared to Foligno.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
What I would love to see for about a 5 game trial is this...

Robertson-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk-Tavares-Nylander
Foligno-Kerfoot-Hyman
Simmonds-Spezza-Mikheyev

Here are my thoughts.

1. I don't see a point in dressing Nick Robertson, unless you're committed to playing him with talent. He's an offensive player and should be featured in that role. I have no problem rotating Thornton or Hyman up on to that line for a couple shifts each night because I don't think Nick is ready to play 20+ minutes in the NHL, but I do think he can play a regular shift with 34 and 16.

2. Galchenyuk looked perfectly capable on that 2nd line, alongside Tavares, who is playing better of late, and Willy. He looks good on the top line as well, but he can be a factor on either of those two units and I want to get Robertson's confidence going, taking some feeds from Mitch.

3. We need more production from the bottom 6. Period. We get very little scoring production from our blueline, therefore, we need depth of scoring. Foligno, Kerfoot and Hyman could not only be used in a shutdown role, but that trio should be able to play 15-16 minutes per night and produce some secondary scoring, which we badly need to relieve the "big 4".

Matthews & Marner go head to head with 1st lines. Not fair to Robertson to be put in that position so early

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Well, Nick better have a big impact physically and for moral, or hell even some offence. Because once again the Leafs are having finishing problems and the best offensive option available was ignored in favour of “fit” and “intangibles.”

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad