Nick Foligno Discussion

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Here here, he was my hope out of the rumor list, nice to get a player who plays like a runaway freight train and can score, plays with heart, adds that leadership you spoke of to add to a few who finishes checks on our team.
Of course , I just don’t get some of these so called fans that are so opposed to coming to terms with the obvious need our team and any team to have these types of players to balance off the elites at the top in the playoffs and to win the cup , to boot one that can play anywhere ala Hymes .
It’s the real reason why we have lost these past years
Every team that stays competitive and wins cup or cups all have these players in the Bottom 6 and a couple who can move any where , it’s essential and vital for winning it all

Reactions: Cobra777

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Of course , I just don’t get some of these so called fans that are so opposed to coming to terms with the obvious need our team and any team to have these types of players to balance off the elites at the top , to boot one that can play anywhere ala Hymes .
Very true most successful teams have a few bull in the china shop type players which gets the rest invested to battle it out. Tampa was all skill and missed that ingredient until they went out and added some salt and pepper guys which vaulted them over the top for a cup win as they could match any style of game the other team brought finally.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Of course , I just don’t get some of these so called fans that are so opposed to coming to terms with the obvious need our team and any team to have these types of players to balance off the elites at the top in the playoffs and to win the cup , to boot one that can play anywhere ala Hymes .
Every team that stays competitive and wins cup or cups all have these players in the Bottom 6 and a couple who can move any where , it’s essential and vital for winning it all
Also I know your not a fan of Engvall and neither am I, I however love his skating, speed and can handle the puck, yes I give him that but for the love of Ada at 6ft freakin 5 he is as soft as tissue paper. If I possessed that frame I would be running peeps over with aggression and if he played that way I would role out a red carpet for the man

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
Very true most successful teams have a few bull in the china shop type players which gets the rest invested to battle it out. Tampa was all skill and missed that ingredient until they went out and added some salt and pepper guys which vaulted them over the top for a cup win as they could match any style of game the other team brought finally.
Very very true

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
What I would love to see for about a 5 game trial is this...

Robertson-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk-Tavares-Nylander
Foligno-Kerfoot-Hyman
Simmonds-Spezza-Mikheyev

Here are my thoughts.

1. I don't see a point in dressing Nick Robertson, unless you're committed to playing him with talent. He's an offensive player and should be featured in that role. I have no problem rotating Thornton or Hyman up on to that line for a couple shifts each night because I don't think Nick is ready to play 20+ minutes in the NHL, but I do think he can play a regular shift with 34 and 16.

2. Galchenyuk looked perfectly capable on that 2nd line, alongside Tavares, who is playing better of late, and Willy. He looks good on the top line as well, but he can be a factor on either of those two units and I want to get Robertson's confidence going, taking some feeds from Mitch.

3. We need more production from the bottom 6. Period. We get very little scoring production from our blueline, therefore, we need depth of scoring. Foligno, Kerfoot and Hyman could not only be used in a shutdown role, but that trio should be able to play 15-16 minutes per night and produce some secondary scoring, which we badly need to relieve the "big 4".

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019

Foligno-Kerfoot-Hyman
Simmonds-Spezza-Mikheyev

Here are my thoughts.

1. I don't see a point in dressing Nick Robertson, unless you're committed to playing him with talent. He's an offensive player and should be featured in that role. I have no problem rotating Thornton or Hyman up on to that line for a couple shifts each night because I don't think Nick is ready to play 20+ minutes in the NHL, but I do think he can play a regular shift with 34 and 16.

2. Galchenyuk looked perfectly capable on that 2nd line, alongside Tavares, who is playing better of late, and Willy. He looks good on the top line as well, but he can be a factor on either of those two units and I want to get Robertson's confidence going, taking some feeds from Mitch.

3. We need more production from the bottom 6. Period. We get very little scoring production from our blueline, therefore, we need depth of scoring. Foligno, Kerfoot and Hyman could not only be used in a shutdown role, but that trio should be able to play 15-16 minutes per night and produce some secondary scoring, which we badly need to relieve the "big 4".
Best line up that I’ve seen , I would like to add Nash in there in the playoffs , somewhere ? Or rotate him in ?
Other than that , solid

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Best line up that I’ve seen , I would like to add Nash in there in the playoffs , somewhere ? Or rotate him in ?
Other than that , solid

IMO, in the playoffs, Nash would slide into 4C, Spezza to the wing and Mikheyev and Simmonds would battle it out for the last spot.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
IMO, in the playoffs, Nash would slide into 4C, Spezza to the wing and Mikheyev and Simmonds would battle it out for the last spot.
I hope Soup wins out there as in a overall observation of his play all year , he’s been great for us other than his finish .
He’s played hard and physical and dogged and fast and strong , quietly a very very solid 3rd line player and possibly 2nd line

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Nash should be added to the 4th line come play offs... Play him next to Spezza. And rotate the other winger.

I would try

Robertson - Matthews - Marner
Galchenyuk - Tavares - Nylander
Foligno - Kerfoot - Hyman
Mikheyev - Nash - Spezza

Bottom pairings can be switched depending on how Foligno plays, apparently he plays better as a LW but you can make it.

Hyman - Foligno - Mikheyev
Kerfoot - Nash - Spezza

Reactions: Cecithepylon

Cecithepylon

May 4, 2017
Nash should be added to the 4th line come play offs... Play him next to Spezza. And rotate the other winger.

I would try

Foligno - Kerfoot - Hyman
Mikheyev - Nash - Spezza

Bottom pairings can be switched depending on how Foligno plays, apparently he plays better as a LW but you can make it.

Hyman - Foligno - Mikheyev
Kerfoot - Nash - Spezza
That’s the best line up this team has ever ran
2 first lines
1 second line
1third

Reactions: 67leafs

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018

Foligno-Kerfoot-Hyman
Simmonds-Spezza-Mikheyev

Here are my thoughts.

i think you need hyman and foligno in your top 6. Their play is too valuable especially come the playoffs. We need to play the **** out of both those guys. Either on same line on 2nd or 1 and 2. Robertson would be the wrong move on first line. They will be hunted come the playoffs and need a guy like Hyman or Foligno to crush guys to protect and open it up.

hyman - matty - marner
Foligno - JT - nylander
Mikky - nash - gally

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
The Leafs have needed a player like Foligno for a long time.

These types of players become critical during a long playoff run when the pressure ramps up. Based on what I have seen, he's always been the kind of forward that is noticeable during crunch time whether it's through hitting, getting into the middle of scrums, or just willing the others on his team to keep fighting.

I think most of us underrate the impact someone like this can have on everyone including the skilled guys.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
really good interview with tim on sportsnet. he seems very excited

He knows what it would be like to win in T.O. He knows what it would mean for the fans, the city, the country and even his legacy, passed on from his dad. It's just the way it is. Being Canadian, he's watched hockey and the fans from the time he could walk.

The same can be said for a number of the local guys who were raised on Hockey Night in Canada. In particular, I am looking at local guys like Hyman, Simmonds and Foligno to give it their all to try and bring the Cup to Toronto. Playoff type players who aren't in the lineup just to snipe goals every night, but just do what they do to help the team win. Foligno has said as much, he is going to be himself, and that's precisely what any successful playoff team needs. We are a more balanced lineup this year than in decades.

Whichever Leaf team raises the Cup will be spoken about for 100 years, even if others follow. Hell, his old man made it to the Final Four and I still remember that team lead by Clark and Gilmour, I remember his dads goal, Nikolais OT goal in game 7, Dougies double O.T against Cujo. Its stuck in the memory of too many.

He and Nash are going to be major factors in this playoffs. Of this, I am certain. He is going to have to stew for a few days until he is out of quarantine. He must know by now the fans are just as excited as he is. He doesn't need to over reach, just bring what he brings night in and night out.

Reactions: as Pure as Evil

Chief keefe

Sep 27, 2015
Mississauga
I like the idea of 2 dominant lines and a decent bottom 6, vs spreading the talent around.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Foligno - Tavares - Nylander
Galchenyuk - Kerfoot - Simmonds
Thornton - Spezza - Mikheyev

We have some amazing talent up front, lots of different line combinations. I expect Foligno to have a similar impact to Hyman.
I love this but a few modifications

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Foligno - Tavares - Nylander
Galchenyuk - Kerfoot - Mikheyev
Robertson - Spezza - Simmonds
Thornton

Reactions: AvroArrow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad