Confirmed with Link: Nicholson appointed CEO of Oilers, incl. supervising hockey operations (Presser@1PM)

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
We all deserve a....................???

Why the hell should mact be be 'given one more year', one more year to botch things up more?

In any case he has little power now no matter what his title says. He was forced to fire Eakins, he was forced to back away from trades.

(As an aside have we not had an animated gif yet of Nicholsons head on Vince McMahons body strutting?)

We all deserve a second chance in life and remember MacT won the lottery under his watch.........I know, I know it's a game of chance but he still lucked out.

I would grade MacT on what he does the rest of summer....ie.........finding a NHL starting goaltender and getting a pair of NHL caliber defensemen.

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I don't know about that. Its the most important sports coverage medium centre, as for as the NHL is concerned

that's got nothing to do with media coverage and Op-eds about Oilers bad management. That the Oilers are not being run well is now a very high profile story, all because of McDavid. The lottery win has brought everything to a head; hence, the Nicholson promotion on Monday, and not at a later date.

Lottery - Saturday
Nicholson promoted/Lowe pushed aside - Sunday
Presser - Monday.

do the math.

May as well do the rest of the week as well.

Tuesday: Off day for Chiarelli to get his ass to Edmonton..along with his family.
Wednesday: Chiarelli meets with the Oilers. Tweets come in that Chiarelli will be the new President of Hockey Operations.
Thursday: Possible presser...can't wait for Thursday!

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
May as well do the rest of the week as well.

Tuesday: Off day for Chiarelli to get his ass to Edmonton..along with his family.
Wednesday: Chiarelli meets with the Oilers. Tweets come in that Chiarelli will be the new President of Hockey Operations.
Thursday: Possible presser...can't wait for Thursday!

If his family is here then the spot is basically his. Tomorrow will make it official! OMG

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
We all deserve a second chance in life and remember MacT won the lottery under his watch.........I know, I know it's a game of chance but he still lucked out.

I would grade MacT on what he does the rest of summer....ie.........finding a NHL starting goaltender and getting a pair of NHL caliber defensemen.

Mactavish is a terrible GM who spent the last two years tearing down everything positive about the future of the team. A lottery win which he had no control over is not an excuse to give a confirmed idiot a second chance, and the organization will deserve the damage Mact will cause if given another summer because they let it happen.

No one deserves a second chance just because, especially not Mact.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
A few things we know:

Lowe took Chiarelli out for lunch today.
Chiarelli is being offered Lowe's position.

Does this mean Lowe is stepping down, or does it mean he is being forcibly removed? I think it would be kind of nice if his line of thinking was something similar to:

"Ok, I've ****ed this up pretty bad. We just drafted the best prospect since Crosby and have a legitimate chance of turning this ship around. One of the best hockey minds with connections to the best coach in the world is willing to work here. Hmm. Well, it has been a swell run but even I realize I'm not cut out to do this anymore. I love this organization and bled for it throughout my life as a player. I want to see success and have accepted that there are better people for the job."

That could have happened, right?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
A few things we know:

Does this mean Lowe is stepping down, or does it mean he is being forcibly removed? I think it would be kind of nice if his line of thinking was something similar to:

"Ok, I've ****ed this up pretty bad. We just drafted the best prospect since Crosby and have a legitimate chance of turning this ship around. One of the best hockey minds with connections to the best coach in the world is willing to work here. Hmm. Well, it has been a swell run but even I realize I'm not cut out to do this anymore. I love this organization and bled for it throughout my life as a player. I want to see success and have accepted that there are better people for the job."

I think he may have stepped down of his own volition. To be honest I think he was going to do that anyway. Hasn't been seen or heard from at any Oilers related function in ages. He'll probably still be involved with the organization in some way.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
A few things we know:

On the radio they said Lowe once offered to step down and Katz nixed it. So I am guessing Lowe wants out of the spotlight and would be ok with going/ moving to a new obsecure position noone notices him

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
On the radio they said Lowe once offered to step down and Katz nixed it. So I am guessing Lowe wants out of the spotlight and would be ok with going/ moving to a new obsecure position noone notices him

President of Popcorn Operations (POPO)

RuneMcEres

Seasons in the Abyss
Oct 24, 2006
Bergen, Norway
I hope for Kevin Lowe's sake that he's a part of that presser, acknowledges some of his mistakes, is happy to transfer the authority to Chiarelli and can bow out with some grace. He deserves that much.

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
I hope for Kevin Lowe's sake that he's a part of that presser, acknowledges some of his mistakes, is happy to transfer the authority to Chiarelli and can bow out with some grace. He deserves that much.

Yeah, I'd like to see that too. At least he can somewhat salvage his reputation.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I think he may have stepped down of his own volition. To be honest I think he was going to do that anyway. Hasn't been seen or heard from at any Oilers related function in ages. He'll probably still be involved with the organization in some way.

He should be an ambassador for the club. I think he was ready to step down after all the negative press the last few years. Has to get to a guy.

beaterson

Jun 13, 2011
the 780
He should be an ambassador for the club. I think he was ready to step down after all the negative press the last few years. Has to get to a guy.

No, wipe the disease out for good. If he's still here, he still has influence. You ever see a CEO demoted to HR when a company has a terrible year?

Kevin Lowe is a cancer that must be irradiated, not minimized.

beaterson

Jun 13, 2011
the 780
And as for McTavish supporters, he hired Dallas Eakins and kept him for one and a half years. Everything else is irrelevant when you do this to an organization.

Zap Brannigan

May 23, 2004
yeah other than being an outstanding defenseman for over a decade, a decent coach and a good GM for 6 or 7 years.

but hey lets forget all the positive stuff

beaterson

Jun 13, 2011
the 780
yeah other than being an outstanding defenseman for over a decade, a decent coach and a good GM for 6 or 7 years.

but hey lets forget all the positive stuff

Good player: completely irrelevant. I'm a good accountant, hire me!

Good coach: one year of experience in that department, so not really...

Good GM: missed the playoffs every second year, terrible draft record, would've been run out of town if not for the OBC before Tambo 'took over'. Does the cup run really override 11/14 playoff-less seasons?

That's setting the bar awfully low (pardon the pun).

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
You guys are forgetting...............???

Good player: completely irrelevant. I'm a good accountant, hire me!

Good coach: one year of experience in that department, so not really...

Good GM: missed the playoffs every second year, terrible draft record, would've been run out of town if not for the OBC before Tambo 'took over'. Does the cup run really override 11/14 playoff-less seasons?

That's setting the bar awfully low (pardon the pun).

You guys are forgetting that he was the GM that bought in Chris Pronger. The fact that Pronger's wife did not like Edmonton was not Lowe's doing........it was just due to circumstance.

Bob Nicholson said something about "Trust, Teamwork and Loyalty" and Kevin Lowe was all that and more........he bled blue and orange.

He was the only former Oiler who came back after the "glory years" and I tip my hat off to Kevin Lowe if he is stepping down.

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
You guys are forgetting that he was the GM that bought in Chris Pronger. The fact that Pronger's wife did not like Edmonton was not Lowe's doing........it was just due to circumstance.

Bob Nicholson said something about "Trust, Teamwork and Loyalty" and Kevin Lowe was all that and more........he bled blue and orange.

He was the only former Oiler who came back after the "glory years" and I tip my hat off to Kevin Lowe if he is stepping down.

First, he and his cronies must leave. Whatever it takes to get them out.

Then and only then am I willing to talk about his past accomplishments. Not a second before.

-- Tier 2 fan

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Ambassador for the club? Is there are more hated former Oiler in Edmonton? I mean I honestly don't care what happens to him as long as he's no longer actually involved in the important decisions. But ambassador for the club seems pretty bizarre when you consider what a nightmare he's been for this organization. I'm not sure people are just going to forget that.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I can't believe that what all of us have always wanted (competent non-OBC member in our management) and some here are complaining about the selection and are coming out of the woodwork to back Lowe and MacT. Unbelievable.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I can't believe that what all of us have always wanted (competent non-OBC member in our management) and some here are complaining about the selection and are coming out of the woodwork to back Lowe and MacT. Unbelievable.

I'll be happy to have a competent POHO, I just hope he's a little more flexible with his view of how a roster can be built. The Oilers are not going to be the Boston Bruins 2.0.

This is just a very different style of roster.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I'll be happy to have a competent POHO, I just hope he's a little more flexible with his view of how a roster can be built. The Oilers are not going to be the Boston Bruins 2.0.

This is just a very different style of roster.

I think that if we trust he is competent we should trust that he's competent enough to recognize what kind of team we need to be. The guy wasn't born yesterday.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I just hope he doesn't trade Eberle for magic beans or something like that.

Chia did go after Stewart at the deadline, wonder if he would go after him again as a UFA if he has the Oiler job.

Soon after the Pronger trade request came out, there was a thread on CP where Craig Conroy's wife stated that many of the American wives don't like living in Calgary even when their husbands are playing there during the regular season. You know the difference between our situation and theirs? Our superstar, franchise player with an American wife who hated Edmonton, was an idiot who made the situation that much worse by not properly concealing his extramarital affairs from his significant other.

If Chris hadn't done what he did (no, it's not just a rumor), then Lauren Pronger would've likely just pouted every waking minute of her insufferable existence and spent the next four years at the tanning salons in Missouri while her hubby #44 played out his contract here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad