Confirmed with Link: Nicholson appointed CEO of Oilers, incl. supervising hockey operations (Presser@1PM)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=764212&navid=DL|EDM|home

Daryl Katz, Chairman of Oilers Entertainment Group (OEG) announced today Bob Nicholson has been appointed Chief Executive Officer, effective immediately. Nicholson, who joined the organization as Vice-Chair in June of 2014, will take over an expanded set of responsibilities within OEG that includes authority over all aspects of business and hockey operations for the Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club. Mr. Nicholson will continue to serve as an Alternate Governor for the Edmonton Oilers on the NHL Board of Governors.

Hockey operations..........

Rawg

Its Rog
Jun 20, 2010
Edmonton
After a long audit and review of the Edmonton Oilers hockey club, I have deemed that only change required is a promotion for myself--Bob Nicholson.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Lowe being quietly shuffled out into a more diminished position? Probably as good as it'll get.

Zap Brannigan

May 23, 2004
Lowes title is President Hockey Operations & Vice Chair OEG/Alternate Governor

I think he answers to Bobby now. Or he might have done so before, I don't know

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
“Since joining OEG, Bob has devoted his time to assessing all aspects of the organization,†said Mr. Katz. “Going forward, he will have clear responsibility for OEG’s growing sports and entertainment business, and all the support and latitude he needs from me to lead the Oilers back to being a Stanley Cup contender. Bob is the ideal person to lead the organization forward. He is a bold thinker, a strong consensus builder and a very fine individual.â€

Here we go again... :sarcasm:

AK Dandyman

Sep 12, 2008
This is good news if it means Lowe is out of hockey ops. Just give Lowe some other title and let him ride off the sunset.

The Joker*

I don't think this means Lowe is out of Hockey Ops. I think it means Bob is now the boss and Katz has nothing to do with running the team, hiring or firing, etc.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
A start. Now maybe he will be able to sway Katz to fully get rid of the cancers that are MacT and Lowe.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Sounds to me like they are putting Nicholson in at the top of the ladder? So Lowe and MacT will have to answer to him?

Not bad, I still don't think anything will happen to Lowe or MacT, but this is a step in the right direction.....I hope

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Seems like this is as close as we're going to get to getting rid of Lowe so....

Basically like winning the lottery but milder.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
This is good. I have full trust in Bob Nicholson after the work he's done with Hockey Canada. Katz couldn't stomach firing his buddy Lowe, but at least he has seemingly made his job obsolete.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I like this move. To me this is Katz absolving himself of the responsibility of canning his friends. Nicholson is being handed the hammer to use as he sees fit.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
I like this move. To me this is Katz absolving himself of the responsibility of canning his friends. Nicholson is being handed the hammer to use as he sees fit.

Hopefully this is the case, but I could see it being just another meaningless promotion that Katz & Co. hand out like candy.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Until they announce who's out, this just seems like too many cooks in the kitchen.

♫too many cooks, too many cooks♫

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If he really is just a crony then this means absolutely nothing.

I have no expectations but if he knows what's best for the team and wants to make McDavid happy, he knows what needs to be done.

Unfortunately, I think the odds of getting McDavid were better than the odds of Nicholson doing a management purge.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Until they announce who's out, this just seems like too many cooks in the kitchen.

♫too many cooks, too many cooks♫

That was my first thought too. I mean I'm glad Nicholson is getting involved, but does Lowe report to him? Or him to Lowe? And they both have final say over MacT?

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
It sounds like if he doesn't fire anybody he'll at least be able to tell them "no" when they try to do stupid ****.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad