Confirmed with Link: Nicholson appointed CEO of Oilers, incl. supervising hockey operations (Presser@1PM)

MPStoEberletoHall*

I just hope he doesn't trade Eberle for magic beans or something like that.

Chia did go after Stewart at the deadline, wonder if he would go after him again as a UFA if he has the Oiler job.

I wouldn't mind Stewart on our 3rd line, even after his down year

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I just hope he doesn't trade Eberle for magic beans or something like that.

Chia did go after Stewart at the deadline, wonder if he would go after him again as a UFA if he has the Oiler job.

If one of those magic beans (implying that there is more than one) is named Loui Eriksson I would think long and hard about it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If one of those magic beans (implying that there is more than one) is named Loui Eriksson I would think long and hard about it.

1 year of soon to be 30-year-old Loui Eriksson for our leading scorer?

No thanks.

hulabaluu

Jun 11, 2013
Finland
May as well do the rest of the week as well.

Tuesday: Off day for Chiarelli to get his ass to Edmonton..along with his family.
Wednesday: Chiarelli meets with the Oilers. Tweets come in that Chiarelli will be the new President of Hockey Operations.
Thursday: Possible presser...can't wait for Thursday!

What? Is chiarellis family already in Edmonton?

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
1 year of soon to be 30-year-old Loui Eriksson for our leading scorer?

No thanks.

That was why I pointed out that we are talking about beans, in plural. Since it was a hypothetical anyway I just want to be clear that I was not considering contract status (and since we were specifically talking about that trade it would be better to asume 4 years of a 28 year old Eriksson + rfa reilly smith).

I am just a bit sick of everyone piling on that trade. It was a gamble that didn't turn out well in the end but let's not kid ourselves, Boston has a decent 1st line winger in Eriksson and a 2nd line winger in Smith as result of it. Eriksson was considered good/great RW when traded obviously and hasn't lived up to that yet. But except for some periods last season when he was playing a system very different from what he was used to and had to come back from two concussions he has been good. That will never equal the star power of Seguin, but it sure isn't as bad as most people see it. There was a reason for why Eriksson was considered the most underrated player in the league a couple of years ago. Eriksson this last season, and especially the last months when he was finally moved off the 3rd line with Kelly/Soderberg, was one of the Bruins best performers (if the the best). Oddly enough, after Eriksson was moved off Soderberg's line Soderberg recorded 6 points in the next 24 games... So much for everyone claiming that Soderberg was the driver and key to that line and that he singlehandedly saved Loui's career.

Ok, rant over.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
A "gamble" is one thing.

Trading a franchise center at age 21 ... is getting into Mike Milbury territory.

Boston is going to have to trade Eriksson purely as a cap dump this summer I think. They have $6 million in total cap room, and that's without Hamilton signed and several other roster spots still to fill.

I can understand even trading him but at least get back a blue chip younger player for the team to build with going forward. A Tarasenko, a Monahan, hell even an Eberle would've been decent.

Last edited:

Pablo Aimar

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The Seguin deal was an absolute disaster, one of the worst trades in the last decade. Eriksson is a nice player but had no business being the main piece in a deal for a franchise level talent. With Chara's decline the Bruins window is now closed. With Seguin it would not be.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
A "gamble" is one thing.

Trading a franchise center at age 21 ... is getting into Mike Milbury territory.

Boston is going to have to trade Eriksson purely as a cap dump this summer I think. They have $6 million in total cap room, and that's without Hamilton signed and several other roster spots still to fill.

I can understand even trading him but at least get back a blue chip younger player for the team to build with going forward. A Tarasenko, a Monahan, hell even an Eberle would've been decent.

I really hope they will, and we go after him (for a decent prize, not Eberle obvioulsy). More likely though they will move Lucic, higher cap and not the player he used to be.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
The Seguin deal was an absolute disaster, one of the worst trades in the last decade. Eriksson is a nice player but had no business being the main piece in a deal for a franchise level talent. With Chara's decline the Bruins window is now closed. With Seguin it would not be.

This trade became 10 times worse because of Eriksson's and Seguin's 13/14 seasons. Eriksson in a new system and getting two concussions and Seguin breaking through (which by the way was not expected as everyone claim afterwards...).

MPStoEberletoHall*

I really hope they will, and we go after him (for a decent prize, not Eberle obvioulsy). More likely though they will move Lucic, higher cap and not the player he used to be.

Lucic to Edmonton :yo:

Hall-Mcdavid-Lucic

I'd like to see some clubs go after Mcdavid with Lucic on his line

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Ambassador for the club? Is there are more hated former Oiler in Edmonton? I mean I honestly don't care what happens to him as long as he's no longer actually involved in the important decisions. But ambassador for the club seems pretty bizarre when you consider what a nightmare he's been for this organization. I'm not sure people are just going to forget that.

Not that many people hate Lowe. He still gets cheers at events.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
We all deserve a second chance in life and remember MacT won the lottery under his watch.........I know, I know it's a game of chance but he still lucked out.

I would grade MacT on what he does the rest of summer....ie.........finding a NHL starting goaltender and getting a pair of NHL caliber defensemen.

to me, its nolonger about whether you think Mact deserves more time and can do the job. It's about image and perceipt; he and Lowe are seen as incompetent and running a gongshow.

Get rid of him and show the industry that the organization, finally, means business.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
to me, its nolonger about whether you think Mact deserves more time and can do the job. It's about image and perceipt; he and Lowe are seen as incompetent and running a gongshow.

Get rid of him and show the industry that the organization, finally, means business.

...and you know, since the lottery win, I wonder if all or some of these major announcements are to prove to McDavid, his agent and his family that the Oilers are tired of floundering and because of him, the tomfoolery and shenanigans are over. Time to get serious and that is what Nicholson (and Katz?) are doing.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
A "gamble" is one thing.

Chiarelli did get that to a lesser extent in Smith, who'll be a top-6 player for the next decade or so. We also have to remember that Eriksson was coming off three consecutive 70-point seasons (with a strong two-way reputation) before the disappointing 12/13 year. If he had gotten back to that level, which was certainly a possibility, would the deal have been so bad?

That being said, I bet he's learned his lesson. Trading players with that much potential (cough Yakupov cough) can be the defining moment of your career, and not in a good way. I doubt he's eager to double down.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
A "gamble" is one thing.

Seguin wasn't a franchise centre when they traded him. He was playing on the wing and didn't have the really impressive point totals. Menawhile Loui Eriksson was a guy who would put up 70 points like clockwork every season before he was traded. Throw in the fact that Seguin had a lot of maturity and attitude problems for the Bruins and I don't think the trade is anywhere near as bad as people make it sound. Seguin appears to be one of those guys who needed the kick in the ass of actually being traded to get his head on straighter. If Boston had kept him I really don't think he'd be the same player he is now.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Can someone photoshop Nicholsons face on this gif?
Pl3Xz.gif

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I think that's a big reason he's insisting on full autonomy. He doesn't want a guy like Neely forcing him into a stupid trade again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad