Confirmed with Link: Nicholson appointed CEO of Oilers, incl. supervising hockey operations (Presser@1PM)

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I'd have to think that signing Nikitin was the work of Howson who had him in CBJ. Why do people hold him accountable for that? To be a good leader, you have to listen to your team at times. He was just listening to the ***jockey that told him Nikitin was a top 4 dman.

Lowe - Gotta Go
Howson - Gotta Go
MacT - Indifferent

**** flows downhill- it was the pro scouts, fire them all! Oh wait, Howson was GM of Columbus; perhaps he didnt pay attention to the players in that role.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Trying to figure out why there are so many folks putting so much faith in Nicholson. What exactly has this guy accomplished in the NHL? I guess he would have a lot of connections, but running Hockey Canada is like being the guy who puts oil on the windmill. Rebuilding an NHL franchise is a whole different apple imo.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Trying to figure out why there are so many folks putting so much faith in Nicholson. What exactly has this guy accomplished in the NHL? I guess he would have a lot of connections, but running Hockey Canada is like being the guy who puts oil on the windmill. Rebuilding an NHL franchise is a whole different apple imo.

I think its just people expect him to do the same thing he did with hc

which is bring in a great staff who can win....

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think it's as simple as who out of Nicholson or the Lowe/Mac T combo would you rather put your faith into right now? After 15 years of misery it sure isn't Lowe and Mac T. Nicholson may crash and burn too but people are willing to take that gamble because what we have hasn't worked. He doesn't come with the baggage Lowe and Mactavish do. It's possible he could convince quality people to come and work here. Not sure that's the case anymore for Lowe or even if it ever was. This organization needs to move on from its past at some point, might as well start with Nicholson.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
People bashing Shero in this thread are cracking me up.

Yes, he walked into a team that had Crosby and Malkin but look at some of his moves.

He turned Goligoski into Neal and Niskanen.
He turned Esposito and Colby Armstrong into Hossa and Dupuis.
He turned Whitney into Kunitz.
He turned Staal into Sutter, Pouliot, and Dumoulin. (I like Staal but how much better is he than Sutter alone, let alone adding a legit top 4 young d-man like Pouliot).

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Until someone actually loses their job I'm pretty sure he's just another crony. They snuck this thing in while everyone was in euphoria over McDavid. Pretty sneaky.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
the guy knows a ton of people in hockey for one..his Rolodex is massive
let give him a chance to put the right people in place before calling him a failure

I truly believe MacT has one more summer to put the pieces in place for a competitive team...if he can't do that then Nicholson fires him and brings in his guy

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Why the hell should mact be be 'given one more year', one more year to botch things up more?

In any case he has little power now no matter what his title says. He was forced to fire Eakins, he was forced to back away from trades.

(As an aside have we not had an animated gif yet of Nicholsons head on Vince McMahons body strutting?)

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Until someone actually loses their job I'm pretty sure he's just another crony. They snuck this thing in while everyone was in euphoria over McDavid. Pretty sneaky.

If they were going for sneaky, why then call a press conference for all the world to see? They could have just announced it quietly on their website and be done with it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If they were going for sneaky, why then call a press conference for all the world to see? They could have just announced it quietly on their website and be done with it.

Because it gave them a chance to show off the lucky socks. :laugh:

If this happened pre-McDavid nobody would've cared (and some people might have actually been upset since nobody has lost their job)

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

he's not someone who got his job simple because he played for the Oilers in the 80s and partied with Katz. He actually ran a success, high profile, top level organization for over 10 years.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Why the hell should mact be be 'given one more year', one more year to botch things up more?

In any case he has little power now no matter what his title says. He was forced to fire Eakins, he was forced to back away from trades.

(As an aside have we not had an animated gif yet of Nicholsons head on Vince McMahons body strutting?)

I'm not saying that the right thing to do...I'm saying that's what happens
Connor McDavid changes everything now...it speeds up the process exponentially due to only having 3 year to get him on the cheap before he's a 10 million dollar player

I'm hopeful Nicholson realizes this

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
No one is paying any attention to the TO media. They have absolutely lost their minds since Saturday. They had all their eggs in the McDavid basket and after Edmonton, of all places, "stole" that from them they all went insane. It's been pretty entertaining to watch, really.

I don't know about that. Its the most important sports coverage medium centre, as for as the NHL is concerned

I am not saying this team isn't a joke, it obviously is with Lowe Mact and Howson still employed. But TO hasn't won anything since before there was a man on the moon. At one point are they considered a joke?

that's got nothing to do with media coverage and Op-eds about Oilers bad management. That the Oilers are not being run well is now a very high profile story, all because of McDavid. The lottery win has brought everything to a head; hence, the Nicholson promotion on Monday, and not at a later date.

Lottery - Saturday
Nicholson promoted/Lowe pushed aside - Sunday
Presser - Monday.

do the math.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
he's not someone who got his job simple because he played for the Oilers in the 80s and partied with Katz. He actually ran a success, high profile, top level organization for over 10 years.

Right. One can only assume he's far more objective at this point than Lowe and Mac T, he's got nothing to "prove", and he doesn't have to be defensive about his track record.

And if he's reaching out to people like Chiarelli, Shero, McLellan, Babcock, he's going to get a response because of the work with Hockey Canada.

He can, at any rate, certainly do no worse than what we've had to date.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
People bashing Shero in this thread are cracking me up.

Yes, he walked into a team that had Crosby and Malkin but look at some of his moves.

He turned Goligoski into Neal and Niskanen.
He turned Esposito and Colby Armstrong into Hossa and Dupuis.
He turned Whitney into Kunitz.
He turned Staal into Sutter, Pouliot, and Dumoulin. (I like Staal but how much better is he than Sutter alone, let alone adding a legit top 4 young d-man like Pouliot).

Let's not forget he gave away draft picks like they were going out of style, that that team now has an absolutely terrible supporting cast because of him, and that he also lost a lot of trades (Morrow/Morrow swap anyone?)

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'm not going to be happy about personnel change at management, just for personnel change. Nobody coming into this organization (including Nicholson) deserves any acclaim until this team is better. Specifically the defense.

Heck, I look at a guy like Jim Nill, who I would have been ecstatic to get. But in his GM time with Dallas, I don't know if his effort at fixing their d-corps is any better than MacTavish flailings.

McDavid?

:D

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Let's not forget he gave away draft picks like they were going out of style, that that team now has an absolutely terrible supporting cast because of him, and that he also lost a lot of trades (Morrow/Morrow swap anyone?)

I heard the higher ups weren't happy with the Iggy trade either, even though Calgary has had zero impact at the NHL level from that deal yet.

I've mentioned it before, but no GM is perfect. All the best ones have their errors and no matter how many good moves are made not many GM's are really immune from being fired.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
the guy knows a ton of people in hockey for one..his Rolodex is massive
let give him a chance to put the right people in place before calling him a failure

I truly believe MacT has one more summer to put the pieces in place for a competitive team...if he can't do that then Nicholson fires him and brings in his guy
I think Mactavish's final summer to get the pieces in place was last summer. Katz opened up his wallet and let him spend to the cap. Failed to address team's most critical needs. The team finished in 28th place in a season filled with other Mactavish induced crap. You don't get another year after that and it finally looks like the organization agrees with that after the Nicholson promotion and the comments he made on Monday. Mactavish is now twisting in the wind waiting to see if Nicholson can find a replacement for him. It's fun to watch after how comfortable he was doing the same thing to Todd Nelson.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country

IMO Shero's biggest flaws were:

1.) Could draft or develop the right talent
2.) His coaching choices were off point
3.) He couldn't find an upgrade for MAF

But he did well in FA (Martin and Michalek was a great move) and he normally got really good returns for his trades. (Though Murray for 2 2nds was iffy).

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 5m5 minutes ago
Breaking from myself and @SportsnetSpec -- Peter Chiarelli in Edmonton meeting with the Oilers. More to come...

Last edited:

RCee

Oilers Anointed One
Apr 22, 2015
Heaven sent
Interesting. So do you guys think Bob is going to clean house like Shanny did? He said himself he is looking at all aspects of hockey ops, so where does that leave our scouts and guys like Howson?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Interesting. So do you guys think Bob is going to clean house like Shanny did? He said himself he is looking at all aspects of hockey ops, so where does that leave our scouts and guys like Howson?
Hopefully all gone.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
it certainly appears as though Bob has identified his management team as needing an upgrade.

I think Katz has given him the green light.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad