News Article: Nice read. Boston Globe says Bruins a black eye

24Cups

Aug 2, 2005
Ya, seriously I don't get it. I mean, Weise, okay, he's been mocking Lucic all series long, but Emelin? What did he do? Threw a few hard checks here and there? What the hell man..

Lucy can dole out the rough stuff but can't take it coming back. Reminds me of the high school prankster who goes apesh** when something is played on him.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Lucic is still being a ***** about the hip check from a few months ago.

And if Lucic didn't want to get mocked, he should flex and pound his chest like an idiot. That **** always comes back to bite you in the ass.

Well personally I have no problem with pounding your chest. I do when it's because you scored an empty netter.

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
Nice read here. The Boston Globe tells it how it is. Lucic/Thornton a black eye for the Bruins
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...ck-and-gold/TLvZp14ycBxVK2WdOgdTcJ/story.html

I enjoyed reading that article, but this article was more telling:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...diens-style/xivt0BxbmFcYq0a76R8e2J/story.html

Bruins need to adjust to the Canadiens style--from a Boston writer.

Haven't I been reading (and arguing against until I lose energy) the need for the Canadiens to match the Bruins goon for goon as the only way to succeed?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
As a sabres fan, I remember when they added John Scott to the roster specifically due to the Bruin's arms race and Lucic run at Miller. That season Scott totally destroyed their toughest player Thornton in a fight and even knocked him out for a few games. Bruin's fans were irate that such a goon was on Sabres roster and 'at least Thornton can skate'. After that, you didn't see so many liberties being taken against the Sabres in the Bos/Buf games. Montreal had no choice but to add guys like Weiss and Emelin- this is what Boston and Cam Neely brought to the division. Lucic is what everyone is describing... a bully. He's also not as effective as he used to be and I think he's probably struggling to continue such a hard-nose role. Six years playing like he is expect to is not easy. He was completely ineffective in this series; not able to score, nor able to create the space and havoc he's done in the past. I'm sure that weighed heavily on a guy whose job it is to play both roles.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Ya, seriously I don't get it. I mean, Weise, okay, he's been mocking Lucic all series long, but Emelin? What did he do? Threw a few hard checks here and there? What the hell man..

It's just a case of Lucic being frustrated. As in he doesn't know what do to anymore to stop Emelin going after him for the (big) hit. Normally he just bully the other guy and it stops but that doesn't work Alexei E who just seem to have Lucic in his sights every game.

Also Lucic still haven't swollowed that hip check.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
With this new playoff system, its a pipe dream. We will face them more than enough in future playoffs.

Yeah, you're right, the probability of meeting them year after year is high. But, let's say they have a few though years, maybe first round exits NOT against us. :laugh:

On the other hand, everybody in Boston seemed under some serious shock. Maybe this series, especially the last two games, will be a wake up call. If they stop the antics and get back to serious hockey, it's all fine, I guess. It's a good club, but I would certainly change the coach and the mentality.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Yeah, you're right, the probability of meeting them year after year is high. But, let's say they have a few though years, maybe first round exits NOT against us. :laugh:

On the other hand, everybody in Boston seemed under some serious shock. Maybe this series, especially the last two games, will be a wake up call. If they stop the antics and get back to serious hockey, it's all fine, I guess. It's a good club, but I would certainly change the coach and the mentality.

It all goes up to Cam Neely. This is Cam Neely hockey. Play tough, make excuses.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
While I don't encourage what Lucic did at the end of game 7, its no big deal in my opinion. Poor sportsmanship, yes. Lucic was sending a message to the two players for next season, it happens a lot. I grew up playing in one of the roughest hockey systems as a teenager. Played in Flin Flon, home of the Flin Flon Bombers the same place who legends like Bobby Clarke and Reggie Leach played. I grew up playing in that rougher style of game, often the Bombers would be banned from certain cities b/c of their style. Nowadays the NHL/hockey is a much happier place and far less rough play.

Some people thinks its poor sportsmanship to lay a clean hit with 10 secs left in the game when your team is down by 3 or 4 goals. No its not, you play the game to the end of the game. What's clean by the rules is perfectly fine, regardless of how much time is on the clock or what the score is.

But make no mistake this writer's job is to sell papers, create a stir in Boston. He's not going do that by writing how good Boston is or how they were a hair's breath away from winning that series blah blah. He's creating a stir in Boston and selling papers. He's doing his job, nothing more.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=452323

The idiot keeps on digging his hole.

Lucic is correct, Weise should of never mentioned it or said anything. What happens in the room stays in the room, what happens on the ice stays on the ice. I don't agree with what Lucic did but it happens a lot on pro sports or normal sports, just players never say anything. In this case Weise said something.

If you think Lucic will face any negative flak for this you likely are wrong. On one hand fans cheer his fierce desire to win and hates losing. On the other hand you'll have some people who say Lucic was wrong for saying it, but respect his desire for winning. Others will just dislike what he said. Being this thread is in the Montreal section no surprise people here will not like what he said.

But you can bet every GM would love to have Lucic on their team and he would make every team a better team by his play. Personally I like his rough, in your face play, but I wouldn't mind if he toned down the BS a little. Throughout the history of each team (or at least most), every team has had players like Lucic.

Heck PK (plus two former Habs players) made the top 10 most hated players in the NHL list for a reason, but I would love him on my team. Again I would like to see him tone his BS down a bit also. Ironically Lucic never made the list, although Marchant did.

http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/20...s-sis-list-of-the-nhls-10-most-hated-players/

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Deleted.

Last edited:

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I don't think Thornton was that bad actually. The watergate thing is way overblown.

Agreed, the water bottle was a joke, nothing to even mention. Must of been a slow day on the boards and in the media.

If people get upset about a little water, they should watch the play more and see all the slashes, butt ends, cross checks, etc. Who cares about a little water, stupid to even mention it unless you laughed at it like I did. It was funny, nothing more.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Lucic is correct, Weise should of never mentioned it or said anything. What happens in the room stays in the room, what happens on the ice stays on the ice. I don't agree with what Lucic did but it happens a lot on pro sports or normal sports, just players never say anything. In this case Weise said something.

If you think Lucic will face any negative flak for this you likely are wrong. On one hand fans cheer his fierce desire to win and hates losing. On the other hand you'll have some people who say Lucic was wrong for saying it, but respect his desire for winning. Others will just dislike what he said. Being this thread is in the Montreal section no surprise people here will not like what he said.

But you can bet every GM would love to have Lucic on their team and he would make every team a better team by his play. Personally I like his rough, in your face play, but I wouldn't mind if he toned down the BS a little. Throughout the history of each team (or at least most), every team has had players like Lucic.

Heck PK (plus two former Habs players) made the top 10 most hated players in the NHL list for a reason, but I would love him on my team. Again I would like to see him tone his BS down a bit also. Ironically Lucic never made the list, although Marchant did.

http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/20...s-sis-list-of-the-nhls-10-most-hated-players/

Do you actually think Weise got in front of the media and started saying:

"OMG guys, do you know what Lucic just told me in the line?"
No. He was asked, answered, said it was something not classy, and didn't even get into details.

Weise did well actually talking about it, as Lucic has to get some crap for this. You just don't do this. Not after the game is played.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Agreed, the water bottle was a joke, nothing to even mention. Must of been a slow day on the boards and in the media.

If people get upset about a little water, they should watch the play more and see all the slashes, butt ends, cross checks, etc. Who cares about a little water, stupid to even mention it unless you laughed at it like I did. It was funny, nothing more.

You guys underestimate and overlook the whole thing behind the gesture. Thornton, a player sitting, splashed water right in the face of a player actually handling the puck on the ice. It's a huge lack of respect for the guy.

That's the NHL you guys are talking about, there.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
But you can bet every GM would love to have Lucic on their team and he would make every team a better team by his play.

Yeah, getting a bit tired of hearing this lame old narrative. You're arguing that any GM would "love" to have a player who pulls the massive *****-the-bed routine Lucic pulled?

2 chances to put the team he "hates" out of the playoffs, one of which came on home ice in front of legions of Boston fans, and his output consists of 0 shots, 0 points, 0 big hits, and 0 fights. In fact, Lucic's biggest contribution seems to have been providing motivational material for his OPPONENT, and as a punch line for any fanbase not drinking the "poke the bear" Kool-Aid...wow, what a worthwhile investment.

Lucic personifies the Boston franchise and, at a minimum, its HFBoards fanbase: big on talk, long on excuses, short on results.

MicroFracture

Jan 1, 2009
Trois-Rivieres

the funniest thing about Bruins' homers view of the handshake thing is that it was a ''breach of the code'' for Weise to admit Lucic said something classless in the handshake line, but it wasn't for Lucic to start whining/threatening other players because he is a sore loser. Every other player on the ice got it, but not him! The league is full of players who ''want to win'' yet they swallow their pride and demonstrate good sportsmanship. Not that I think what he did was important to the point of still talking about it days after, but the excuses piling up for him are extremely lame.

oleHABSole*

He should get suspended, at least 10 games. He wouldn't even apologize. How does Emelin's wife feel about this... she will be terrified for him the season when we play the Booins.

oleHABSole*

Weise didn't say anything, he even confirmed it. He said TSN probably read Lucic's lips.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Weise didn't say anything, he even confirmed it. He said TSN probably read Lucic's lips.

Correction, Weise never said the details of what was said, but he was asked what was said and he mentioned that it was something negative (watch the video right after the game). Pro's in that situation should of said nothing, whats said on the ice stays on the ice.

Just like locker room meetings or chats from your coach or GM, you never give details to the media. While he didn't give details (which is good), he did mention the tone/intent (which is wrong).

Like my comments above stated I don't approve of what Lucic did, but that does not make what Weise did any less wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: