News Article: Nice read. Boston Globe says Bruins a black eye

MadJah

Feb 23, 2007
st-henri
BnuWIUoCYAIWiSc.jpg

Doubt he'd do it, but get Milo to sign your copy of his book:

Dear ___, Next Year I'll F~~King kill you!
Milan Lucic

Book signing May 25th... ebay gold!

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
One thing that I don't agree with in the article...

As the series played out, the cost of general manager Peter Chiarelli not replacing Seidenberg at the trade deadline proved deadly. But again, March is a horrible time to fix the roster, especially a void in the top shutdown pairing. No team traded for a true, effective shutdown back liner at the deadline. Chiarelli came up as empty as the rest of his fellow GMs on that score.

What about Mike Weaver? Of course, he's not a top pairing guy but he is a top shutdown defenseman for the Habs. He was there in the last minute of game 7 protecting the lead. That guy doesn't get enough credit. He has been awesome for the Habs. He's +7 in the playoffs while shutting down opponents when needed. He also got the worst defense partners since the beginning of the playoffs.

Kudos to Bergevin as well who got that guy for a 5th. I was laughing when he made the trade. It was a mocking laugh. Now I still laugh but because I was wrong.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
only met one bruins fan here - met him playing darts at a pub here and this was before the second round started. seemed nice at first until i told him i was was montreal. then he gives me this look and says "diving won't help you hit that triple 20." :laugh:

i just laughed it off and kept playing my thing

anyways, i lost, narrowly, then the handshake where he says "were gonna kill you guys" and he looked sooooo angry about it too. funny now with the whole loch thing

the guy was very unpleasant, he was the type of fan that completely and utterly drank the koolaid. most people from boston i meet couldn't care less about the bruins and most are very pleasant

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Good article in the Boston Globe. Seems there is reasonable hockey media in that market, maybe the bloodthirsty louts just prefer talk radio and discussion boards.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Ya, seriously I don't get it. I mean, Weise, okay, he's been mocking Lucic all series long, but Emelin? What did he do? Threw a few hard checks here and there? What the hell man..

usatsi_7831394.jpg

He's the quintessential example of a bully. Dishes it out. Can't take it. You should read some of his recent writings.:sarcasm:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Ya, seriously I don't get it. I mean, Weise, okay, he's been mocking Lucic all series long, but Emelin? What did he do? Threw a few hard checks here and there? What the hell man..

See how it is though....I think the exact opposite. Well, not that I agree....but Bruins fans have this notion that Emelin ALWAYS goes for dirty hits on Lucic. And that hip check was the end -result. So Bruins fans often = Bruins players.....Lucic might have this notion that Emelin wants to injure him......And if in his mind that's what it is (though I don't agree), well okay...fine. But saying I'd kill you to Weise for some mockery....when mockery is more common than actually playing the puck for some of those guys? That to me makes no sense whatsoever.

So add your point of view.....to Bruins fans point of view....And you now know why he did it to both guys. But the guy is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and the day that he drops both of our guys even if our guys don't want to go at it.....we ALL know that premiditated act should be way more punished than acts "in the heat of the moment". And I know one thing.....I would NOT play those guys in preseason. I agree with some in here....I have enough of them. New playoff format SUCKS. I want to see other teams than the ones in that stupid division. But if we both keep being great, it will be Habs vs Bruins, EVERY ****ING YEAR in the 2nd round. Makes no sense. So based on that, don't give Lucic a free pass to do his idiocy during preseason, as even if he's suspended 10 games for assault, that he won't mind since it's the start of the year.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston

:laugh:

People often mistake Boston culture and Bruins culture.

Tbh, I don't think it's that mistaken, but I will add a disclaimer -- there are two very different "Bostons". One is the Cambridge, North Boston part. Pretty yuppie, tons of academia, center for all things great for healthcare, biotech, science in general (my field), some of the best hospitals in the world, etc. Then there's the part where the, sorry to use the term, but it's apt, the rednecks live. And btw, there are tons of town just outside this little nucleus that are awesome and intellectual and respectful. It's really "Southie boston" and a few other places where this culture is very very real. I visit Boston pretty regularly and my sister lives there. I ALWAYS wear something of the Habs when I'm there (call me stupid, but I just can't resist). I know what brings on what and where. I was helping my sister move to a different apt. one time and we had to go to city hall to get a permit. Super nice people with tons of bruins paraphernalia, particularly this old lady processing the form. I didn't have anything on at that moment (Habs related!), so when she (literally out of nowhere) showed me her bruins bear doll, I clicked my iphone screen open to reveal the background (don't have to tell you what logo she saw). She smiled.

I'm now in India for work. Met a guy at a bar the other day. We both had North American accents, I asked him where he was from, he said Boston (this was after game 1). He asked me - I pointed to my shirt, which was previously hidden. Again, huge Habs logo. He smiled and was just very friendly.

Absolutely there are a lot of great bruins fans. A lot of them are brainwashed, but aren't A-holes. But I assure you, the garbage eating racist wastes of human life exist in droves. Just not in the nicer parts of the city (which is really where you visit). Unfortunately TD Garden is situated in a hilariously unfit place re: what I just mentioned.

Ya, I really felt the same. They always say ''don't poke the bear'', but it looks like we were the bears this time around. Bruins antics seem to have really been a source of motivation. From Hamilton and Krug's comments about figuring out Price (Price flicking the puck back towards Krug after he came down off the wing and ripped one on him was beautiful), to Lucic chest pump, muscle flex, Thornton's water, Julien's press conference whining tactics, it really looks like it helped the Habs.

Ya the absolute hate he seems to have towards Emelin doesn't make much sense.

Please tell me there's a gif/vid of this!!!

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
I don't see how Bruins fans can't be embarrassed by not only how their team played, but how they acted. Pathetic.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
I don't think Thornton was that bad actually. The watergate thing is way overblown.

I agree. I mean of course I wanted us to win really bad when I saw him giggling on the bench at PK (I am a biased habs fan). But it was not a big deal. Just a guy having fun in a series between two rivals. I actually like Shawn Thornton.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
:laugh:

Tbh, I don't think it's that mistaken, but I will add a disclaimer -- there are two very different "Bostons". One is the Cambridge, North Boston part. Pretty yuppie, tons of academia, center for all things great for healthcare, biotech, science in general (my field), some of the best hospitals in the world, etc. Then there's the part where the, sorry to use the term, but it's apt, the rednecks live. And btw, there are tons of town just outside this little nucleus that are awesome and intellectual and respectful. It's really "Southie boston" and a few other places where this culture is very very real. I visit Boston pretty regularly and my sister lives there. I ALWAYS wear something of the Habs when I'm there (call me stupid, but I just can't resist). I know what brings on what and where. I was helping my sister move to a different apt. one time and we had to go to city hall to get a permit. Super nice people with tons of bruins paraphernalia, particularly this old lady processing the form. I didn't have anything on at that moment (Habs related!), so when she (literally out of nowhere) showed me her bruins bear doll, I clicked my iphone screen open to reveal the background (don't have to tell you what logo she saw). She smiled.

I'm now in India for work. Met a guy at a bar the other day. We both had North American accents, I asked him where he was from, he said Boston (this was after game 1). He asked me - I pointed to my shirt, which was previously hidden. Again, huge Habs logo. He smiled and was just very friendly.

Absolutely there are a lot of great bruins fans. A lot of them are brainwashed, but aren't A-holes. But I assure you, the garbage eating racist wastes of human life exist in droves. Just not in the nicer parts of the city (which is really where you visit). Unfortunately TD Garden is situated in a hilariously unfit place re: what I just mentioned.

This is really accurate. You've been there much more than I have, but the Boston I've seen is beautiful, and the people who live there terrific. I have friends in Jamaica Plain and Cambridge - south and north of the city. The guy in JP is a loudmouth about the Bruins, but otherwise a sweet person. The Cambridge crowd doesn't even follow the sport. Typical. As you said, the fan base has a clear dividing line between academic and working-class.

Habs fan base isn't too different. There's a big cultural divide between metropolitan Montreal and rural Quebec, and that's not even counting the obvious french/english dichotomy.

Two bi-polar fan bases. One great rivalry.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don't think Thornton was that bad actually. The watergate thing is way overblown.

Thornton gets a pass. His antics were harmless and in the end he was gracious in defeat, giving our guys sincere handshakes and well-wishes.

Let it go. It's water-bottles under a bridge.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I think that the comments in that article are reflective of real life.

My experience with Bruins fans has always been positive.

I think that hockey message boards tend to bring out the "******" factor in people who are normally just regular and respectful people in real life.

Funny - I'm the exact opposite. I try to be respectful on the board, but in person I'll steal your wallet, hit on your girlfriend and stick you with my hefty bar bill.

Anyone up for an HFBoard meetup?

Anyone...?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
My view on the Bruins is simple.
Until they hire a class individual like a Ray Bourque to run their hockey operations not much will change.
Having a Red Wings and Habs in the same division may hasten this.
The Spoiled Child antics they stoop to as an Organization can only end up manifesting itself on the ice.
A once Proud Tough Organization has truly become a laughing stock.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
this is the WORST part about the whole thing to me

spear someone in the nuts.. and then call him a CHICKEN in the post game interview

then he threatens someone and refuses to go thru the handshake in a respectable fashion...then whines about the whole thing in the post game interview and calls the OTHER guy a baby???

the WHOLE thing hurts the head to think about or to process... the word i want to use is "hypocrite" but its just...no he's a hypocrite..

You're right: Lucic is not a hypocrite. He's a thug.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Yes it's been a while we saw eye to eye ;)
I'm in Mtl, so ya, I could go, but as much as the Bell Center is fun, I really love watching the games in a bar downtown. I mean, tickets I could get last round were 300$ a pop. That's a little too much for me.

I'm with you on that one. I could spend the 600$ and have a great night, but I think I'd much rather save that money for other things and watch the game at home or with friends.

The Bell Centre is one of the few places where the view is actually very good almost no matter which seat you get. But that still doesn't change the fact that I love watching the game on a big screen with Pierre calling the game. Both are different experiences. I always thought being ice level would suck because it would be hard to see the game as easily, but again, it was a different experience, one I wouldn't trade for anything.

At the end of the day, whichever way you get to watch the habs, it's always a blast, so spending 500-1000$ for tickets isn't exactly a necessity, it's just good fortune if you get the tickets in the first place ;)

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'm with you on that one. I could spend the 600$ and have a great night, but I think I'd much rather save that money for other things and watch the game at home or with friends.

The Bell Centre is one of the few places where the view is actually very good almost no matter which seat you get. But that still doesn't change the fact that I love watching the game on a big screen with Pierre calling the game. Both are different experiences. I always thought being ice level would suck because it would be hard to see the game as easily, but again, it was a different experience, one I wouldn't trade for anything.

At the end of the day, whichever way you get to watch the habs, it's always a blast, so spending 500-1000$ for tickets isn't exactly a necessity, it's just good fortune if you get the tickets in the first place ;)

I've done ice-level a few times in other arenas (Washington, Florida, Ottawa). It's cool, but you can't see the game nearly as well. I was directly behind Adam Oates in the Verizon Center and memorized the back of his scalp. I actually told the usher that the guy in front of me (Oates) was obstructing my view. She laughed. Been next to the Habs' bench in Florida -- the sightline leaves you with blind spots on the ice. The P.O.V. gives you a different experience but not if you're there to see the game.

Best seats are always center, half-way up or higher.

LesHabs66

Apr 11, 2007
Minneapolis MN
It doesn't matter what stadium you are in there will always be a group of drunk or over emotional morons that go over the top and verbally or physically assault visiting fans. No team or city is immune from a-holes sadly. To me it is a complete lack of respect for others that should be allowed to come to another city or arena and enjoy the game in peace.

Rib someone. Be competitively playful with visiting fans but treat them with the same respect they you would expect in return. It is just a game and form of entertainment. If it is too difficult to behave like a decent human being then therapy might be a good direction to head toward.

As an athlete I hated and still do hate losing at anything but once it is over with I always seem to get out of game mode and shake hands or at least offer up a smile and a "good game" no matter how things went. It always made me want to do better the next time. Being a gracious winner and loser isn't easy but it is necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad