Nic Petan Turning it Around (MOD: Emergency call up 03/17)

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Just the way he slows down the game. He needs to play with very specific players. A speed player like Kessel or Wheeler wouldn't work out so good. Petan tends to like to carry the puck in, but slow it down once he crosses the blue line and evaluate his options much like Thornton.

He'd play great with guys that can get shots off quick and know how to get to the quiet areas.

Hmm... Connor?

Or maybe prime Ladd?

I agree. It may take some time to find the ideal Petan combination(s), but he is a unique player and I think will repay the time taken.

Nice to have players like Ehlers, Wheeler and Chef who work best at speed and players like Petan who like to slow the game down and pick passes. Must make it harder to play against a team who (someday) will be dangerous across a variety of gears.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Just the way he slows down the game. He needs to play with very specific players. A speed player like Kessel or Wheeler wouldn't work out so good. Petan tends to like to carry the puck in, but
slow it down once he crosses the blue line and evaluate his options much like Thornton.

He'd play great with guys that can get shots off quick and know how to get to the quiet areas.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Granted it was against a listless Vancouver but he looked absolutely dynamic with Scheifele and Wheeler and really should have walked out of that game with 4 points. I think he is a more than smart enough player who will be able to adapt to playing with different player types. Both Scheifele and Wheeler are also smart enough to read off of him and cater to his strengths as well.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
I'm not sure I agree with this. Granted it was against a listless Vancouver but he looked absolutely dynamic with Scheifele and Wheeler and really should have walked out of that game with 4 points. I think he is a more than smart enough player who will be able to adapt to playing with different player types. Both Scheifele and Wheeler are also smart enough to read off of him and cater to his strengths as well.

what i saw from that game was that he played their game and not his. he was getting scoring chances left and right cause he was using his speed trying to keep up to wheels and chef and going to the net.

ideally, if he was playing his game he would be getting a lot more assists than goals and overall you would see a different style than that 1 game.

that being said, he's obvious talented enough for whatever kind of game his line mates need him to play but when he controls the play and sets up guys by slowing it down, thats ideal for him.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
what i saw from that game was that he played their game and not his. he was getting scoring chances left and right cause he was using his speed trying to keep up to wheels and chef and going to the net.

ideally, if he was playing his game he would be getting a lot more assists than goals and overall you would see a different style than that 1 game.

that being said, he's obvious talented enough for whatever kind of game his line mates need him to play but when he controls the play and sets up guys by slowing it down, thats ideal for him.

A knock on Petan was that he lacked skating speed. I think that was in error. He has speed, he just prefers to slow the game down and use his speed in quick spurts to gain space. I think a big part of the change in him since the early season trial is that he is now playing at a higher pace. He will still slow the game down at times but he will pick and choose his spots better.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
A knock on Petan was that he lacked skating speed. I think that was in error. He has speed, he just prefers to slow the game down and use his speed in quick spurts to gain space. I think a big part of the change in him since the early season trial is that he is now playing at a higher pace. He will still slow the game down at times but he will pick and choose his spots better.

This is an excellent description of how he plays...bang on.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

But he still lacks top end speed. If he had a bit more speed and could create more separation, he'd be even better.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
But he still lacks top end speed. If he had a bit more speed and could create more separation, he'd be even better.

Does he? He has seemed to keep up with some pretty fast linemates. He doesn't have outstanding top end speed like Ehlers and Connor but I don't think he lacks speed either. Quickness is his thing though.

But you could say that for virtually every player in the league....

There is no such thing as too much speed. :laugh: I think Petan must be about average for forwards. Just by my eyeball. I wouldn't call him slow.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Thornton is a very good comparison Allan. Never thought about it but it looks to be correct.

Anyone else think that maybe he's in he bottom six next year to start and helps to drive the play and add scoring to the bottom 6? Seems he could be a good fit at the start until he forces more ice time.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Thornton is a very good comparison Allan. Never thought about it but it looks to be correct.

Anyone else think that maybe he's in he bottom six next year to start and helps to drive the play and add scoring to the bottom 6? Seems he could be a good fit at the start until he forces more ice time.

Where does he play on bottom 6, though?

Our bottom 6 could include guys like Burmi, Lowry, Copp, Armia, Dano, Thorbs, Lemieux, Tanev, or even Perreault or Stafford.

I think the Jets like a shut down 3rd line with Lowry at C to play against the other teams #1C. Played Lowry a lot against Toews on Friday. If Tanev can show he can play a responsible, aggressive, but smart defensive game (with some timely offense), he could stick at LW ahead of Petan, imo. Dano completes the young trio on RW.

On 4th line, I really see a guy like Lemiuex sticking on the left side, rightly or wrongly. Copp in the middle, which leaves Armia, Thorbs, Lipon and Peluso looking for time on right side.

Petan's future should be in top 6 with Jets but if they draft a guy like Laine or Tkachuk, I just don't see him able to crack the lineup next fall. First call up for a skilled guy, yes.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Well the reason I brought that up was because I feel like he's starting to be successful regardless who he plays with. That is an invaluable ability. But we'll see what happens. Lots of competition for spots going into next year.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Well the reason I brought that up was because I feel like he's starting to be successful regardless who he plays with. That is an invaluable ability. But we'll see what happens. Lots of competition for spots going into next year.

I hear ya. And it's valid.

Petan would add offence to bottom 6. But, it would need TNSE or PoMo changing their philosophy of the bottom 6, to have a more skilled and productive 3rd and 4th lines.

They complain about lack of production, but don't change the make up of those lines. They could have had more skilled guys there, but have consistently had Thorbs, Peluso, Halischuk and others fill those spots.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I hear ya. And it's valid.

Petan would add offence to bottom 6. But, it would need TNSE or PoMo changing their philosophy of the bottom 6, to have a more skilled and productive 3rd and 4th lines.

They complain about lack of production, but don't change the make up of those lines. They could have had more skilled guys there, but have consistently had Thorbs, Peluso, Halischuk and others fill those spots.

It seems PMo just doesn't like to give 4th line many minutes regardless who's on there. Guerzy was he the same way in CAR or did 4th line there ever get 10-11 min per game?

zsam

Mar 26, 2016
Winnipeg
No rush. He can keep getting called up for a few more seasons. Eventually he makes it or he is trade bait

Had a dream last night that Petan was traded for Shea Theodore. First reaction was WTF and then hhhmmmm ... maybe ... Then I woke up ...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I was away for a week so I missed games but I have to say I really liked what I saw out of Nic last night. The main difference I see is that he looks really comfortable out there now and he is now processing things faster and making all the plays that 1/2 second faster which was what he needed. He looks like he belongs.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Petan finished with a CorsiFor% of 49.7%.

That is not a very nice number, but, and if somebody could confirm this for me that would be lovely because it's from memory, I'm pretty sure after his original 14 game stint he was at about 37%.

So in his final 12 games of the season, playing mainly with Copp and Armia, he rose from ~37% to 49.7%. This seems very impressive to me.

Also my goodness does Perreault put up some gaudy Corsi numbers. He has the best shot suppression numbers on the team apart from Lipon who only played 9 games.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Petan finished with a CorsiFor% of 49.7%.

That is not a very nice number, but, and if somebody could confirm this for me that would be lovely because it's from memory, I'm pretty sure after his original 14 game stint he was at about 37%.

So in his final 12 games of the season, playing mainly with Copp and Armia, he rose from ~37% to 49.7%. This seems very impressive to me.

Also my goodness does Perreault put up some gaudy Corsi numbers. He has the best shot suppression numbers on the team apart from Lipon who only played 9 games.

Petan was much, much better during his second stint, as you've guessed. Much easier to see the difference between the two sets of games with a graph:

Jh0zH87.png

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Petan definitely should not have started in the NHL, and most certainly not on the 4th line with the grinders. Fortunately, PMo did his job and sent Petan down to play meaningful minutes. September will be much more interesting now.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
His turn around was one of the big stories for me this season. He is going to fill an important role for the Jets going forward and I'm beyond thrilled. What I like most is I see him eventually providing his version of that Perreault/Frolik flexibility where he can slot in well on any of the top 3 lines where needed as he matures.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Most have probably forgotten, but Scheifele in his first dozen games was more ineffective than Petan was in his Jets stint this year, even though he was playing with much better linemates.

I remember the "Mark Scheifele, time to send him down?" thread :laugh:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
His turn around was one of the big stories for me this season. He is going to fill an important role for the Jets going forward and I'm beyond thrilled. What I like most is I see him eventually providing his version of that Perreault/Frolik flexibility where he can slot in well on any of the top 3 lines where needed as he matures.

I've also thought MP is ultimately a very good comparison for Petan. Their scoring numbers in junior were remarkably similar as well. What we saw from Petan post call up was a style more similar to MP. Much quicker on the puck and playing with more pace to his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad