Nic Petan Turning it Around (MOD: Emergency call up 03/17)

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
At the start of the year he looked way out of place with the Jets. Now quite handily becoming the Moose leading scorer, just two points out of the team lead despite playing fewer games.

Does this change anyone's opinion on him? Is he on track to be back with the Jets next year?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Don't think he was ever off track. He wasn't put in any kind of position to succeed with the Jets. Basically thrown into the deep end and given a tennis ball and rubber ducky as flotation devices.

His play away from the puck will still need some work, but there's never been any question in my mind that his offensive ceiling is high.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I've always thought highly of Petan. I also thought that he should have started with the Moose, and that [ redacted] should have been signed, and Petan forced to displace him or other top nine players.

Very happy to see him figuring things out at the pro level, and being one of the big contributors with the Moose.

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
Would love to see him on a skilled 4th line next year getting 7-10 minutes a night. Petan-Burmi-Armia? He could definitely help our power play.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Really should have started the season with the Moose, i have no doubt the kid will be a NHL regular at some point but for now and maybe next year he should be with the Moose

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I always thought he belonged above Burmi in our depth chart.

So many passes to scoreburn that went nowhere. So many passes from club handed line mates. In his feet, behind him too far ahead of him...

It was sad.

And I don't think there has ever even anything wrong with his play away from the puck. He was trying to adapt with limited ice time and plugs around him. Not saying he'd be Towes but u think he would have learned.

The ONLY reason he went down is because we have Burmi signed and nowhere for Ehlers to go(no point in having Ehlers n JR). If Petan was allowed as many games and as much ice as Burmi he'd have more points and be better IMHO.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
He seems to be progressing. He should have spent the whole year in the AHL. Starting him in the NHL was a mistake. He might need to play another season with the Moose

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
He seems to be progressing. He should have spent the whole year in the AHL. Starting him in the NHL was a mistake. He might need to play another season with the Moose

Based on what?
Petan has excelled at every level, and shown elite talent at every level.

Aside from 1 fourteen game stint where he had plugs to work with and limited ice time.

Why should he be on the moose next year. He's already showing he's better than AHL veterans.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Based on what?
Petan has excelled at every level, and shown elite talent at every level.

Aside from 1 fourteen game stint where he had plugs to work with and limited ice time.

Why should he be on the moose next year. He's already showing he's better than AHL veterans.

I'm not gifting him a roster spot with the Jets next season. I think he needs to adjust his game quite a bit to become a regular NHL player. I just think it might take longer than this season for the transformation to take place. Similar to Armia's path.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I'm not gifting him a roster spot with the Jets next season. I think he needs to adjust his game quite a bit to become a regular NHL player. I just think it might take longer than this season for the transformation to take place. Similar to Armia's path.

It seems to me that the only thing Petan needs is to learn how to gain possession. Once he has the puck with a reasonable amount of space, its smooth sailing. Problem is, that he can't gain possession on his own and 4th line plugs can't get the puck to him.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
It seems to me that the only thing Petan needs is to learn how to gain possession. Once he has the puck with a reasonable amount of space, its smooth sailing. Problem is, that he can't gain possession on his own and 4th line plugs can't get the puck to him.

I think there's more to it than that. He needs to play faster and move the puck quicker. He ends up turning the puck over quite a bit.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Would love to see him on a skilled 4th line next year getting 7-10 minutes a night. Petan-Burmi-Armia? He could definitely help our power play.

I don't think giving a guy with top 6 potential less than 10 min/night in key development years is good for him. Burmi getting less than 10 :nod:

A guy like Copp whose ceiling is a 3rd liner who cares let him walk into that 4th line roll.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I think there's more to it than that. He needs to play faster and move the puck quicker. He ends up turning the puck over quite a bit.

Sure, as with most players, there's room for improvement everywhere, but I don't think that's the aspect keeping him out of the NHL.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Just a question, and not necessarily directed towards you: why does this seem to be the prevailing wisdom with Petan, and not with Copp?

I don't want to turn this into a Copp thread, but it seems like most are perfectly happy that he's sticking with the Jets. I'm not quite sure how he's demonstrated any more pro-readiness than Petan.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud

Even though he's already as good in the AHL than Armia ever has been?

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Just a question, and not necessarily directed towards you: why does this seem to be the prevailing wisdom with Petan, and not with Copp?

I don't want to turn this into a Copp thread, but it seems like most are perfectly happy that he's sticking with the Jets. I'm not quite sure how his play has been any more NHL-ready than Petan's.

It's just that Copp's ceiling is maybe a third liner, so nobody cares too much if he doesn't reach his full potential. With Petan, he could be a top 6 player, so nobody wants him playing 5-7 mins a night

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Even though he's already as good in the AHL than Armia ever has been?

I don't believe that statement. Petan may score more points but he also gets scored on a lot. Points aren't the whole picture.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012

I don't want to turn this into a Copp thread, but it seems like most are perfectly happy that he's sticking with the Jets. I'm not quite sure how he's demonstrated any more pro-readiness than Petan.

For me its potential. Copp is a near finish product. Petan, I feel has a ways to go and playing time is going to help him reach his potential. That and slotting into a spot that will help his game develop. Copp is in his slot, maybe a 3rd liner if we are lucky.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
It's just that Copp's ceiling is maybe a third liner, so nobody cares too much if he doesn't reach his full potential. With Petan, he could be a top 6 player, so nobody wants him playing 5-7 mins a night

True enough.

It's too bad that Petan didn't receive the same treatment that Scheifele did in his rookie year. Take your lumps, go through some long scoring droughts, learn the defensive game, and slowly work your way into an offensive role.

Most have probably forgotten, but Scheifele in his first dozen games was more ineffective than Petan was in his Jets stint this year, even though he was playing with much better linemates.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Armia outscored opponents on a bad team (small sample size though). Petan, while one of the better players, gets outscored.

Based on what? Plus minus? One of the least useful and most derided stats around?
Record wise Petan is better scorer on a worse team.

Th Only Reason he is in the AHL, especially now that we are in tank mode, is because we keep icing a useless Burmistrov.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
The plan is for Petan to replace Perreault after his contract us up at the end of next season, so Petan still has another year to develop with the Moose.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Based on what? Plus minus? One of the least useful and most derided stats around?

Th Only Reason he is in the AHL, especially now that we are in tank mode, is because we keep icing a useless Burmistrov.

Even strength goal diff

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC

I agree with this. It feels like Petan is almost an afterthought as far as mgmt goes. Hope they don't give up on him and he goes on to become the next Paul Kariya.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad