Nic Petan Turning it Around (MOD: Emergency call up 03/17)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
"NHL-ready" must be a relative term. :laugh:

Guys like DeLeo and Kosmachuk are sexier to us as fans because they have potential, but are they better than guys like Halischuk or Cormier right now?

Yes. It is conceivable that they could score. I suppose I should reserve judgement until they see some tougher competition and until they actually score a goal but they certainly look good so far.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree we are loaded and all that. I think we have a great young goalie; and great young talent at F. But I'd say we have just an adequate D (I'm not sold on our top 4 being that special & we still have Stu in the top 6). That & a bunch of rooks in the F could yet make for a couple of painful years -- nothing like this year, but I wouldn't peg the playoffs as any certainty for at least a couple years unless we come up with some solutions to our bottom end D, solutions to our terribad specialty teams, or if some of our Fs develop fast or we get a line or two that develops some real chemistry (ala the CCM line).

I think you are overstating the problem with our 3rd pair. Chiarot-Postma are not bad by 3rd pair standards. Morrissey-Postma is better.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Another good night for The Pecan, despite the snore-inducing proceedings. Looked quick and decisive with the puck and good away from it, I thought, with some great setups to boot. Fancy stats also looked good. Is he here to stay now?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I haven't seen the last few games due to a Family vacation in Mexico. Is Nic actually holding his own now?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He looks good but can't seem to score, which is a big part of his game.

Yea he is not much use unless he is producing numbers at some point IMO. That being said it will be fun to see how his possession numbers progress this season.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Yea he is not much use unless he is producing numbers at some point IMO. That being said it will be fun to see how his possession numbers progress this season.

He has had chances, a part of me thinks (or wants to think) that it's just bad luck

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He has had chances, a part of me thinks (or wants to think) that it's just bad luck

Hopefully.

We have all seen the skill but I remain on the fence whether it's going to translate to the NHL or not? Maybe another season with the Moose then a call up at some point late in the season and he kicks the door down? :crossfing

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I`m inclined to think it`s still luck too.

seems he makes 2-3 perfect passing plays to setup a team mate for a really high quality chance but just never get`s the finish.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

seems he makes 2-3 perfect passing plays to setup a team mate for a really high quality chance but just never get`s the finish.

He's also shot high or wide on quite a few grade A scoring chances. He looks much better than he did early in the season. Continue the development. It's when you don't get chances that would give me cause for concern.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada

Yeah agreed, he's made some great set-ups since his call-up.

PS. If your keyboard is turning ' to ` just hit control + shift a couple times and it should set it back (it might give you a weird E the first time).

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
^^^

That's how it looks to me. Unlike Ehlers, he still seems prone to setting up a linemate rather than taking the shot himself. Maybe it's a confidence thing. But he's been a lot better at getting the puck than previously and way less likely to turn it over than he was during his first call-up.

I've also noticed how much more room he appear to get from opposing players, especially in the o-zone, suggesting that his rep as a dangerous playmaker is growing. Lowry, Copp, Dano and even Armia, for example, seem to get closed down much more quickly.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
^^^

That's how it looks to me. Unlike Ehlers, he still seems prone to setting up a linemate rather than taking the shot himself. Maybe it's a confidence thing. But he's been a lot better at getting the puck than previously and way less likely to turn it over than he was during his first call-up.

I've also noticed how much more room he appear to get from opposing players, especially in the o-zone, suggesting that his rep as a dangerous playmaker is growing. Lowry, Copp, Dano and even Armia, for example, seem to get closed down much more quickly.

He definitely had the reputation coming in with the younger guys. There is a video during that rookie scrimmage thing and Eichel looks at Milano and says "Oh man Petan is just sick, guy just gets points" or something like that.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hopefully.

We have all seen the skill but I remain on the fence whether it's going to translate to the NHL or not? Maybe another season with the Moose then a call up at some point late in the season and he kicks the door down? :crossfing

He 'looks' ready now. I think he is getting an extended training session right now.

He may not make the Jets out of TC but it will be because someone beat him out for a spot, not because he isn't ready. Or he may just kick the door in and force a move on Stafford to open a spot.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He 'looks' ready now. I think he is getting an extended training session right now.

He may not make the Jets out of TC but it will be because someone beat him out for a spot, not because he isn't ready. Or he may just kick the door in and force a move on Stafford to open a spot.

Given my lack of recent viewings I was really encouraged by Garret's recent article showing how Nic's possession numbers have done a 180. That is huge and probably means the game is starting to slow down for him the the scoring should follow. It would be a huge bonus if Nic can be Nic and bring some serious scoring to a young 3rd line next season.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
After all that Petan vs Dano comparison, I really think these guys could play well together going forward. Dano is smart enough to go into those grey areas where Petan can find him, Im just torn over who their centre should be next year, MP is my top choice unless Petan plays centre and MP on the wing.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
After all that Petan vs Dano comparison, I really think these guys could play well together going forward. Dano is smart enough to go into those grey areas where Petan can find him, Im just torn over who their centre should be next year, MP is my top choice unless Petan plays centre and MP on the wing.

Nice looking line and they all play with and edge as well. I know all rookie lines are bad but boy does Connor Petan Laine seem druel worthy. :naughty:

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I think who Petan plays with will have a marked difference in the outcome of his career. He is a set up guy/passer first. Get him the right finisher...say a draft eligible Finn...and look out...

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
His style of play is so much like Thornton it's not even funny. Without the size of course.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
His style of play is so much like Thornton it's not even funny. Without the size of course.

I think that is a real good comparison. When I watch Thornton, I find myself very confident that he will find some play, with some player, in some way - it doesn't always end up in goals or points but I find myself say 'man, that was pretty sweet'.

I have the same reaction with Petan much of the time. I do agree with the poster who suggested that Petan is being provided more space and that it may well be because of reputation. Thornton is so similar in that; these types of players will make you pay and force a cautious approach by a defender.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I think that is a real good comparison. When I watch Thornton, I find myself very confident that he will find some play, with some player, in some way - it doesn't always end up in goals or points but I find myself say 'man, that was pretty sweet'.

I have the same reaction with Petan much of the time. I do agree with the poster who suggested that Petan is being provided more space and that it may well be because of reputation. Thornton is so similar in that; these types of players will make you pay and force a cautious approach by a defender.

Just the way he slows down the game. He needs to play with very specific players. A speed player like Kessel or Wheeler wouldn't work out so good. Petan tends to like to carry the puck in, but slow it down once he crosses the blue line and evaluate his options much like Thornton.

He'd play great with guys that can get shots off quick and know how to get to the quiet areas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad