Nic Petan Turning it Around (MOD: Emergency call up 03/17)

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Petan was much, much better during his second stint, as you've guessed. Much easier to see the difference between the two sets of games with a graph:

Jh0zH87.png

Nice, good to see.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I also see Petan as a bit of a cautionary tale for us. The top prospects that get to this point have learned to be resilient and work to achieve their goals. If management guesses wrong on if they are ready and they turn out not to be, for the most part no damage done. If anything players can then take what they have learned apply it at a lower level and then jump up when given another opportunity. In Petan's case IMO it is playing with more speed in his game. Having so much offensive talent in junior he was able to slow things down and make plays. In the NHL you just don't have the time and space and he got caught a little flat footed out of the gate. I'll add in my bias around development and that is you need to expose your top prospects early to the NHL since those are the players they need to succeed against. If you hold them back a year or 2 they will still need to learn all the same lessons at the NHL level when they get their opportunity.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I've also thought MP is ultimately a very good comparison for Petan. Their scoring numbers in junior were remarkably similar as well. What we saw from Petan post call up was a style more similar to MP. Much quicker on the puck and playing with more pace to his game.

wow, I had no idea that Perrault was that effective as a jr. The two have amazingly similar resumes.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Petan definitely should not have started in the NHL, and most certainly not on the 4th line with the grinders. Fortunately, PMo did his job and sent Petan down to play meaningful minutes. September will be much more interesting now.

Hard to say what might have happened if he had started in a more appropriate role or if he had stayed up other than Armia might not have gotten his chance as soon. Maybe with better linemates he would have been more like Ehlers. Maybe if he had stayed he would have worked through it.

What Maurice did seems to have worked out in the end and that is the important thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad